The Student Room Group

People who want to leave the EU should be banned from voting

Scroll to see replies

1. Lack of democracy amongst high ups in the EU
2. To protect the sovereignty of the British parliament
3. The inability to control immigration - (not a xenophobe - basically immigration needs to be a little bit less and from around the world)
4. David Cameron's negotiations are clearly a load of rubbish
5. Including subsidies, the amount the EU pays us dwarfs the amount we pay the EU
6. Talk about loss to the economy if we leave the EU is rubbish- there's no real reason why trade with Europe would falter - and it would widen our ability to trade with the rest of the world
Original post by JordanL_
EU membership has been unequivocally good for the British economy. There are millions of jobs in the UK that only exist because of our exports to the EU. The EU provides subsidies in agriculture and gives money directly back to the UK, for example by paying for flood defences.

A lot of our rights come from the EU. In addition to the ECHR, we also have strict consumer rights. These would inevitably be stripped away if we left, just like the Conservatives plan to do with our human rights.

The EU is the only reason the UK is still relevant in international politics.

Of course, none of the people wanting to leave the EU know any of this, either because they don't bother doing their research or they're just incapable of separating reality from their own delusions. These people are dangerous morons and should have no say in how the UK is run.

Thanks for making me laugh, of course I recognise this. The main reason I want to leave the EU is because millions of jobs rely on trade with the EU, when we leave due to our large economic strength we will do better. This is because we don't suddenly stop trading with the EU when we leave, we change from having a bad deal to one favourable to us.
Ok So much for democracy you cretin
Thread title ambigious, should be "People who disagree with me should be banned from voting"
The guy ran off with his tail between his legs not much point commenting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
The guy ran off with his tail between his legs not much point commenting

Sorry, I do have other things to do with my time.
Original post by paul514
That's the thing they don't, ukip is massively in favour of immigration they just want it to be controlled.Controlled migration is what we have for outside the EU so your more likely to get in if you have a certain profession, you need to earn a minimum amount unless you meet certain exemptions etc.There really is no negative for that

But there is a negative. The rest of the EU don't want that, so we either keep uncontrolled migration or we leave the EU. Immigration as it is now is better than it would be if we left. EU immigration is hugely beneficial to the UK, and to be entirely honest, people coming from poorer countries tend to work a hell of a lot harder than British natives. I also like being able to move around without needing a visa. At the very least I'd like to be able to migrate before Farage and his cult destroy the country.

Original post by alexh42
1. We can be part of the single market and not be in the EU. See Switzerland deal. We can have a better deal with them due to the size of our economy and the industries that are here that the EU relies on.

2. President Holland has declared his country is in an economic emergency. The fact you didn't know France's economy is in dire straits shows how uninformed you are. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35343611Germany is strong yes, but that is the only large economy doing well. You have ignored the poorly performing economies of Portugal, Greece, Spain, Italy.

3. Not much growth happening.

4. Now you're showing your stupidity again.

1. Switzerland is part of the Schengen area, as are all other EFTA member states. There's absolutely nothing to suggest that any sort of agreement could be made without requiring us to allow free migration, it's certainly never been done before.

2/3. Fair enough, I was wrong about France, but it's still relatively strong. [url="https://www.google.co.uk/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&met_y=sp_dyn_le00_in&idim=country:GBR:FRA:RUS&hl=en&dl=en#!ctype=l&strail=false&bcs=d&nselm=h&met_y=ny_gdp_pcap_cd&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=region&idim=country:GBR:FRA:ESP:POL:ITA[excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace]EU[excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace]NK:BEL:BGR[excludedFace]h[/excludedFace]RV:FIN:CZE:CYP[excludedFace]colone[/excludedFace]ST:GRC[excludedFace]h[/excludedFace]UN:AUT:IRL:LUX:LVA:NLD:PRT:ROM&ifdim=region&tstart=508204800000&tend=1391817600000&hl=en_US&dl=en&ind=false"]As are a lot of other EU economies. Economic growth[url="https://www.google.co.uk/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&met_y=sp_dyn_le00_in&idim=country:GBR:FRA:RUS&hl=en&dl=en#!ctype=l&strail=false&bcs=d&nselm=h&met_y=ny_gdp_mktp_kd_zg&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=region&idim=country:GBR:FRA[excludedFace]colone[/excludedFace]SP:POL[excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace]EU[excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace]NK:BEL:BGR:CZE[excludedFace]colone[/excludedFace]ST[excludedFace]h[/excludedFace]UN:AUT:IRL:LVA:NLD:PRT[excludedFace]u[/excludedFace]SA&ifdim=region&tstart=1234051200000&tend=1391817600000&hl=en_US&dl=en&ind=false"] compared to the US. There's plenty of growth happening.
Original post by balanced
Thanks for making me laugh, of course I recognise this. The main reason I want to leave the EU is because millions of jobs rely on trade with the EU, when we leave due to our large economic strength we will do better. This is because we don't suddenly stop trading with the EU when we leave, we change from having a bad deal to one favourable to us.

Can you explain why you think it's more favourable to us?
Sorry, I do have other things to do with my time.

But there is a negative. The rest of the EU don't want that, so we either keep uncontrolled migration or we leave the EU. Immigration as it is now is better than it would be if we left. EU immigration is hugely beneficial to the UK, and to be entirely honest, people coming from poorer countries tend to work a hell of a lot harder than British natives. I also like being able to move around without needing a visa. At the very least I'd like to be able to migrate before Farage and his cult destroy the country.

1. Switzerland is part of the Schengen area, as are all other EFTA member states. There's absolutely nothing to suggest that any sort of agreement could be made without requiring us to allow free migration, it's certainly never been done before.

2/3. Fair enough, I was wrong about France, but it's still relatively strong. [url="https://www.google.co.uk/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&met_y=sp_dyn_le00_in&idim=country:GBR:FRA:RUS&hl=en&dl=en#!ctype=l&strail=false&bcs=d&nselm=h&met_y=ny_gdp_pcap_cd&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=region&idim=country:GBR:FRA:ESP:POL:ITA[excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace]EU[excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace]NK:BEL:BGR[excludedFace]h[/excludedFace]RV:FIN:CZE:CYP[excludedFace]colone[/excludedFace]ST:GRC[excludedFace]h[/excludedFace]UN:AUT:IRL:LUX:LVA:NLD:PRT:ROM&ifdim=region&tstart=508204800000&tend=1391817600000&hl=en_US&dl=en&ind=false"]As are a lot of other EU economies
. Economic growth[url="https://www.google.co.uk/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&met_y=sp_dyn_le00_in&idim=country:GBR:FRA:RUS&hl=en&dl=en#!ctype=l&strail=false&bcs=d&nselm=h&met_y=ny_gdp_mktp_kd_zg&scale_y=lin&ind_y=false&rdim=region&idim=country:GBR:FRA[excludedFace]colone[/excludedFace]SP:POL[excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace]EU[excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace]NK:BEL:BGR:CZE[excludedFace]colone[/excludedFace]ST[excludedFace]h[/excludedFace]UN:AUT:IRL:LVA:NLD:PRT[excludedFace]u[/excludedFace]SA&ifdim=region&tstart=1234051200000&tend=1391817600000&hl=en_US&dl=en&ind=false"] compared to the US. There's plenty of growth happening.

1. Replies every couple of minutes even at the same time I replied to you then nothing till now.
2. Didn't reply to my reply to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can you explain why you think it's more favourable to us?

We can, like Switzerland (but we can negotiate better due to our economic importance), retain free trade with the EU. Furthermore, considering how emerging markets like China are becoming increasingly important, we can actually get free trade deals with those countries. Given the option of free trade with the EU, and not with the rest of the world against having free trade with the EU, and any country we choose, and getting sovereignty, I'd choose the latter.
If we left the EU:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending