The Student Room Group

First cousin marriages?

What do you guys think of cousin marriages(either first or second etc)? Its pretty common in my part of the world.

Scroll to see replies

Weird
Reply 2
Very common among UK muslins which is why so many of them have birth defects. Tends to be under-reported in the media due to political correctness, as usual.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-23183102
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/children/11723308/First-cousin-marriages-in-Pakistani-communities-leading-to-appalling-disabilities-among-children.html
Avoid it, no need. But if you do get forced into it, get genetic screening done.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Been there, done that. :wink:
deformed babies
Original post by bassbabe
deformed babies

Any other reason apart from this?
Original post by Kamran Fazal
Any other reason apart from this?

It's a bit ew
Wrong! :erm:

Even nature disapproves. Did you know that a child resulting from a first-cousin marriage is twice as likely to have a genetic disorder?
(edited 8 years ago)
What do you guys think of cousin marriages(either first or second etc)? Its pretty common in my part of the world.

I personally wouldn't do it but if two people like each other(that is if they like each other and aren't forced), then its their choice. Who am I to object. :smile:
Dat gene pool tho
I dont like it at all. Its bull****.
My parents were born in Pakistan and they were cousins. I became their son and ended up with type 1 diabetes (Bad genetics).

I hardly be in contact with my cousins. We rarely speak to each other. Dont even know much about them. I wouldnt even marry them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BrokenLife
I personally wouldn't do it but if two people like each other(that is if they like each other and aren't forced), then its their choice. Who am I to object. :smile:

It's unfair on your future kids who are more likely to be born disabled.

Don't care
Original post by Ravenous
It's unfair on your future kids who are more likely to be born disabled.

I could list many reasons as to why its wrong but really I can't force people to not to marry their first cousins. All I can do is not marry my first cousin and don't let that happen to my future kids. :smile:
Original post by Naveed-7
My parents were born in Pakistan and they were cousins. I became their son and ended up with type 1 diabetes (Bad genetics).

I hardly be in contact with my cousins. We rarely speak to each other. Dont even know much about them. I wouldnt even marry them.

Bad luck mate.
Original post by Naveed-7

So do you call them mum, dad or uncle and aunty?
That's like marrying your brother/sister. :puke:

I've never understood why people agree to it.
I think second cousins are okay because you're barely related. First cousin marriage is just nasty
Original post by undercxver
That's like marrying your brother/sister. :puke:

I've never understood why people agree to it.

Umm no.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending