The Student Room Group

How do you know if you're attractive or not?

How do you know if you're generally attractive or not? I'm not sure because I get pretty much no eye contact from girls during the day, while my friend sometimes does. I also get girls who clearly aren't interested in me, but i've also had a few really attractive girls (although rare) that come up to me on a night out. So do you tell?

Scroll to see replies

When people tell you to your face.
Reply 2
Original post by De Chirico
When people tell you to your face.

I've had random people say i'm attractive but also people imply i'm ugly (although they were people that I hated)
- You get attention from the opposite sex.
- People tell you.
- A lot of tinder likes

Basically everything I don't get. :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
I've had random people say i'm attractive but also people imply i'm ugly (although they were people that I hated)

If you hate them, maybe they hate you and call you ugly regardless of your looks.

If not, then you might be 'ok' - attractive to some but not universally attractive
I think it's more difficult for guys as we know guys are more obvious about it, girls are less aggressive about it.

I don't go by how much attention I get from men because guys are easy... But I look at the guy himself, is he gorgeous, what league is he in?
Basically if people tell you.

I met this guy for the first time at uni through a friend of mine and she told me after like 2 weeks that he said I'm beautiful. It was quite flattering actually considering we only stood by for like 5 mins and we didn't even interact.:flutter:
people keep saying 'if people tell you' which is true in some cases but not all :redface:
for instance if you tell someone a genuine compliment and then they are like 'oh you look beautiful too' i never believe it because they are just being polite and awkward. Tbh i don't think i will ever know if i am attractive or not (going for not tbh xD) because ppl only ever give me those sorts of compliments, the return ones. The rare occasion i got a random sudden compliment was from a girl inrl who compliments everyone so that kind of ruined it tbh as she was just trying to make me feel better :redface: that is why i only ever say what i think (nice things about ppl) and just don't say anything if i don't think they are pretty :redface:
lol that was so long :lol:
:lovehug: xxxxx
Reply 8
people keep saying 'if people tell you' which is true in some cases but not all :redface:
for instance if you tell someone a genuine compliment and then they are like 'oh you look beautiful too' i never believe it because they are just being polite and awkward. Tbh i don't think i will ever know if i am attractive or not (going for not tbh xD) because ppl only ever give me those sorts of compliments, the return ones. The rare occasion i got a random sudden compliment was from a girl inrl who compliments everyone so that kind of ruined it tbh as she was just trying to make me feel better :redface: that is why i only ever say what i think (nice things about ppl) and just don't say anything if i don't think they are pretty :redface:
lol that was so long :lol:
:lovehug: xxxxx

Don't use too many emojis Cavy.
Original post by xobeauty
I don't go by how much attention I get from men because guys are easy... But I look at the guy himself, is he gorgeous, what league is he in?

Lol this is how most people think tbh...

A guy gives us attention...if he's attractive we're flattered, if he's not we're creeped out :lol:

OP, it's difficult to tell, strangers don't randomly compliment you unless you're drop dead gorgeous and you can't tell if friends/family are being honest.
People look at everyone, I don't think it means anything...and as a guy you wont really get anyone approaching you either...the only thing for you to do is take a look in the mirror and be honest to yourself: do you look good or not?
I guess it's harder to tell as a guy, not all girls are forward. But if you say some people have called you attractive then you probably are, or at least decent looking.
Original post by Josb
Don't use too many emojis Cavy.

lol you are like the emoji detective :rofl:
hardly used any tho :h: xxx
Reply 12
I feel like I need an honest friend to tell me if whether or not I am attractive and to what extent this may be
How do you know if you're generally attractive or not? I'm not sure because I get pretty much no eye contact from girls during the day, while my friend sometimes does. I also get girls who clearly aren't interested in me, but i've also had a few really attractive girls (although rare) that come up to me on a night out. So do you tell?

I'm a girl so it's a bit different I suppose, but I never care about what someone says about these things. You know you are attractive because when you walk into a room the vibe of the room gravitates towards you and men pay attention.
People stare at you wherever you go with wide eyes and mouths wide open.

It's especially hard to know if you're attractive when you're a girl. Idk why, but some girls (well, most I'd say) ******** each other with lies by giving fake compliments. It's annoying.

If you're approached, you're probably attractive or average at the very least.
Girls always compliment each other and good guy friends do within their friendship groups, but noone's exactly going to call you ugly if you are. In fact if you are then you probably will have known in childhood since kids can be cruel lmao. UNLESS you glo'd up. idk. If someone compliments my looks I really can't take it seriously. just take it as it comes.
I get this all the time.

Everybody is attractive! :angry: However, attractiveness is subjective as people will find different people attractive based on their own preferences. Some people will find you very attractive, whilst others might find you not so attractive. You can't expect everybody to be attracted to you. Just concentrating on finding that one person that accepts you and loves you, for who you are. :smile:
Original post by Biryani007
Lol this is how most people think tbh...

A guy gives us attention...if he's attractive we're flattered, if he's not we're creeped out :lol:

OP, it's difficult to tell, strangers don't randomly compliment you unless you're drop dead gorgeous and you can't tell if friends/family are being honest.
People look at everyone, I don't think it means anything...and as a guy you wont really get anyone approaching you either...the only thing for you to do is take a look in the mirror and be honest to yourself: do you look good or not?

Not really girls heads get big when anyone gives them instead of taking it as an insult.

Quick Reply

Latest