The Student Room Group

Why should gay adoptions be legal if?

single men normally don't adopt?

To me that's my only issue with gay adoptions. Because most of the time 1 man isn't adopting a child for several reasons. Being mny are not interested and because many agencies don't work with them. To me that's always been my issue with gay adoptions because it's like just because there's another guy in the household doesn't mean they shouldn't be treated any differently. I think a child needs a mom in the household ideally. In a less ideal situation maybe a single mom or a lesbian couple. VBut a gay couple doesn't seem any different than single dad adopting of which I'd be skeptical of. I just can't explain away that for gay couples.

Scroll to see replies

It would be discrimination if gay adoption was illegal. Plus, there's a difference between single men choosing not to adopt and gay adoption being illegal.
Original post by Anon993
I think a child needs a mom in the household ideally..

Anything to back that up?
Reply 3
Your argument is weak af
What's wrong with a single father raising a child/children anyway? Your argument is stupid.
Reply 5
Original post by Tiger Rag
It would be discrimination if gay adoption was illegal. Plus, there's a difference between single men choosing not to adopt and gay adoption being illegal.

I don't think gay adoption should be illegal... I think single men adoption can be banned if the people chose it to be. Not targeting gays though specifically men is my problem with it as I think a lesbian couple is ok not the best but a man raising a child wouldn't be ideal most likely the least ideal.
Reply 6
For me, I think having gay parents is going to affect a child's perception on relationships and make the child more likely to be gay. Also I read articles of adults who had two same sex parents and felt like they missed out on having a father or a mother growing up. That is just what I heard. I don't think it should be illegal or anything but it definitely has impact on a kid. I do not know every person who had a two same sex parents or personally have two same sex parents but I still think there are differences between two same sex parents and a mother and father.4

There are single father who still raise their kids properly and might find a mother.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by BasingstokeBoy
What's wrong with a single father raising a child/children anyway? Your argument is stupid.

If they're his kids nothing. I have no problem with a gay couple having their own child in any way they choose to do so. But adoption is different. It's placing a child in a home that is most ideal that is my concern. If we can help it I don't think it's a good idea to set children up to fail.
Reply 8
Original post by Macy1998
For me, I think having gay parents is going to affect a child's perception on relationships and make the child more likely to be gay. Also I read articles of adults who had two same sex parents and felt like they missed out on having a father or a mother growing up. That is just what I heard. I don't think it should be illegal or anything but it definitely has impact on a kid. I do not know every person who had a two same sex parents or personally have two same sex parents but I still think there are differences between two same sex parents and a mother and father.4

There are single father who still raise their kids properly and might find a mother.

I don't really think it makes the gay. I know though when gays and lesbians have children they're more likely to be gay but that's more to do with being genetically wired to be gay. I don't think they should not be allowed to have their own kids though. I think that's their business and a personal choice. But them raising other children is more questionable. Maybe not banned but it's the least acceptable possibility for the child imo.
Reply 9
In western liberal society everything is acceptable
Reply 10
Original post by al_94

What do you mean?
Reply 11
Original post by Anon993
What do you mean?

It's about accepting everyone so gays have to be allowed to do everything straight can do
I think the point is that single males (Who are straight) are able to make the choice to adopt. Some may not have the funds to support a child, or the right living conditions, hence they're not accepted, but they're special cases and not the norm. Gay couples cannot be discriminated against simply because they're gay - In fact, having two men to help around the house would, logically, be twice as efficient as having a single male!
As for your point about needing a mom.. I'm not entirely sure. I've gone all of me teenage years without a father, and it hasn't really affected me as much as people would think. I would imagine a mother (Or lack thereof) would have the same effect; particularly one who hasn't got a birthing connection to you, anyway!

Really interesting point, though. I do see where you're coming from, I just think that single males and gay couples are in two separate groups at the moment, which isn't fair on the gay couples.
Reply 13
Original post by InfinitelyVixie
I think the point is that single males (Who are straight) are able to make the choice to adopt. Some may not have the funds to support a child, or the right living conditions, hence they're not accepted, but they're special cases and not the norm. Gay couples cannot be discriminated against simply because they're gay - In fact, having two men to help around the house would, logically, be twice as efficient as having a single male!
As for your point about needing a mom.. I'm not entirely sure. I've gone all of me teenage years without a father, and it hasn't really affected me as much as people would think. I would imagine a mother (Or lack thereof) would have the same effect; particularly one who hasn't got a birthing connection to you, anyway!

Really interesting point, though. I do see where you're coming from, I just think that single males and gay couples are in two separate groups at the moment, which isn't fair on the gay couples.

yeah I wasn't raised with a dad either that's why I think not having a mom is a bigger effect on a child actually. Than not having a father. Of course I think a man and a woman would be the best circumstances. I just think if anyone is last two men should be since there is no mother in the household.
Original post by Anon993
I don't really think it makes the gay. I know though when gays and lesbians have children they're more likely to be gay but that's more to do with being genetically wired to be gay. I don't think they should not be allowed to have their own kids though. I think that's their business and a personal choice. But them raising other children is more questionable. Maybe not banned but it's the least acceptable possibility for the child imo.

I don't believe it should be illegal since not every kid adopted by a gay couple will become messed up. I don't believe in a gay gene. I think gay children become gay by the environment their place. I read a article by a straight guy who felt like he had to pretend to be gay to "fit in" with his parents?

If a single man adopts a kid, I think they would at least raise the kid good enough, lol. Why would a lesbian couple be any better than a single dad?
Women can be gay, just saying.
Original post by al_94
It's about accepting everyone so gays have to be allowed to do everything straight can do

What, do you think gay people shouldn't be allowed to do things that straight people are?
Reply 17
Original post by al_94

Then gtfo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
so you're basically asking "why should group x have a right to do y if they normally don't do y?" - rights aren't about habits. I might not have a habit of buying a house, but that doesn't mean that the state should relinquish my right to do that
Original post by Anon993

So, being stuck in a care home is better than being placed in a loving home being brought up by two people of the same sex?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending