The Student Room Group

Learning Spanish!!

Hello!

This is my first proper post on this forum, so please try to be nice!! :h:
I'm currently very very VERY interested in moving to Spain within the next two-to-three years, but the problem is that our school did not offer Spanish at GCSE level. I'd still love to learn it outside of lessons, and since I'm reaching the end of my A2 levels now, I have a few months of free time coming up.

So, has anyone got any advice for someone who cannot even string together a sentence in terms of what to learn first, what resources to use, maybe a few tips or something of that nature?? It would be incredibly helpful.

Thank you for your time regardless!
Original post by InfinitelyVixie
Hello!

This is my first proper post on this forum, so please try to be nice!! :h:
I'm currently very very VERY interested in moving to Spain within the next two-to-three years, but the problem is that our school did not offer Spanish at GCSE level. I'd still love to learn it outside of lessons, and since I'm reaching the end of my A2 levels now, I have a few months of free time coming up.

So, has anyone got any advice for someone who cannot even string together a sentence in terms of what to learn first, what resources to use, maybe a few tips or something of that nature?? It would be incredibly helpful.

Thank you for your time regardless!

You could look at some language learning websites? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
As you're a beginner I think it would be best if you started to learn basic vocabulary using Duolingo (an app). When I want to reinforce the learning I write the words in a list and stick it on the wall above my desk so when I take small breaks while doing work I can see it. Also, I use an app called quizlet to test myself, highly recommended!
As you get advanced and know some basic words I'd say to start learning some grammar so you can build some sentences. Learnspanish.com gives really good explanations you can use. I'd also say that to keep you motivated you should listen to some songs in spanish and try to understand words in them as you get better and better.
Good luck!
Original post by ¡Muy bien!
As you're a beginner I think it would be best if you started to learn basic vocabulary using Duolingo (an app). When I want to reinforce the learning I write the words in a list and stick it on the wall above my desk so when I take small breaks while doing work I can see it. Also, I use an app called quizlet to test myself, highly recommended!
As you get advanced and know some basic words I'd say to start learning some grammar so you can build some sentences. Learnspanish.com gives really good explanations you can use. I'd also say that to keep you motivated you should listen to some songs in spanish and try to understand words in them as you get better and better.
Good luck!

Thank you so much!
I've heard of Quizlet, we used to use it for GCSE mathematics as well, I think. But I'm definitely going to start getting on top of the basics before the summer holidays start, and judging by Duolingo (Which I've just downloaded!) progress going to be a little bit quicker than I thought!
Many thanks once again. :h:
Original post by Black Rose
You could look at some language learning websites? :smile:

Thank you! Yes, I'm currently looking at using Duolingo as the other responder recommended, and possibly using language-learning websites as well. The only thing is that I don't entirely trust language websites as much as apps, hence why I asked here and didn't just go straight into it myself. :colondollar:
But, many thanks for recommending the websites! I'll be sure to have a look at some of them in the coming weeks and see which ones would come in handy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending