The Student Room Group

Geology extracurricular

Hello!
I'm currently in my AS year and I want to apply to do geology at university. However there are very few geology related clubs and extracurriculars in my area. I was wondering if there were any substitutes for it? Is there any volunteering or other extracurriculars that would boost my skills specific for a geology course?
Thanks!
Original post by samanthayates98
Hello!
I'm currently in my AS year and I want to apply to do geology at university. However there are very few geology related clubs and extracurriculars in my area. I was wondering if there were any substitutes for it? Is there any volunteering or other extracurriculars that would boost my skills specific for a geology course?
Thanks!

Moved this to the Geography and earth sciences forum, hopefully you'll get informed responses here. :smile:
Hello!
Thanks!

Firstly, just so you know, you're not going to be expected to have lots of geology-related extra-curricular activities. Most people will be in your situation.

If you're near a university, have a look to see if they have any geology-related public lectures. You could also try emailing them to see if you could arrange some work-experience (I did that and it was great fun). Other than that, reading is probably the most valuable thing you can do! There are lots of very good popular science books on the geosciences, there are quite a few recommendations in the Geology applicants thread or if you can't find them, I can give you a few suggestions.

The most important thing is that you're reading around the subject and that you have some awareness of what's happening in science.
Original post by Plagioclase
Firstly, just so you know, you're not going to be expected to have lots of geology-related extra-curricular activities. Most people will be in your situation.

If you're near a university, have a look to see if they have any geology-related public lectures. You could also try emailing them to see if you could arrange some work-experience (I did that and it was great fun). Other than that, reading is probably the most valuable thing you can do! There are lots of very good popular science books on the geosciences, there are quite a few recommendations in the Geology applicants thread or if you can't find them, I can give you a few suggestions.

The most important thing is that you're reading around the subject and that you have some awareness of what's happening in science.

Thank you for replying! I have a work experience sorted for this summer and I have read a few books. Could you please recommend some books to read? :smile:
Thank you for replying! I have a work experience sorted for this summer and I have read a few books. Could you please recommend some books to read? :smile:

Oh well done for getting some work experience sorted! I made a small list of books suggestions here. The 'Very Short Introduction' books are also worth recommending. It's also worth looking up reading lists that universities produce for interested sixth formers/offer holders, like this one from Leeds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending