The Student Room Group

How do do I deal with gay racist family members?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the bear
you would think that the LGBT community would be reaching out to the BME community in solidarity of the oppressed ?

With all due respect bear, don't compare the struggles of the black community to the LGBT one - it's offensive. I cannot hide my skin colour and it's the first thing I'm judged on when I walk into a room but they can certainly hide their sexual orientation plus in the West being gay (and white) is a major win.
Original post by Danny McCoyne
With all due respect bear, don't compare the struggles of the black community to the LGBT one - it's offensive. I cannot hide my skin colour and it's the first thing I'm judged on when I walk into a room but they can certainly hide their sexual orientation plus in the West being gay (and white) is a major win.

i do not think it is offensive. but as a member of neither community i am not entitled to an opinion.

What are you talking about? Gays have been persecuted a lot more than black people over the centuries. Gays are still being systematically executed in several different countries!
Challenge them to a dance off
Original post by thunder_chunky
Challenge them to a dance off

My uncles boyfriend (the woman in the couple) used to be a dance but he screwed up his hip or something.
Original post by Longshot700
My uncles boyfriend (the woman in the couple) used to be a dance but he screwed up his hip or something.

Then you're in with a chance of winning
Original post by BioStudentx
What are you talking about? Gays have been persecuted a lot more than black people over the centuries. Gays are still being systematically executed in several different countries!

I question your assessment that homosexuals have been oppressed for longer than black people because it's simply not true but I digress.

You have never seen–and won’t see–“heterosexual only” and “gay only” water fountains, diners, buses, schools, in light of 75 years of oppressive Jim Crow laws. Homosexual men/women will never see a society that makes it a point–IN EVERY ASPECT OF LIFE–to remind them that they’re lesser in creation and not deserving of life’s joys. The homosexual man/woman has never seen this day and never will.

You have not–and won’t–see homosexuals snatched away from their families at birth for the purpose of division and dehumanization. Some may think this is unfair because it deals with something that happened pre-civil rights, but historians agree that this was the root of all that was combated during the Civil Rights era. Society has never been set up to divide and conquer the homosexual from birth.

Homosexual men/women have never endured a slave trade for generations and witnessed their ancestors dying by the numbers during a “Middle Passage” and being sold for raw goods.The Middle Passage is part of the African American legacy as it brought Africans to America–as property. Many died during the Middle Passage; and those that made it, with strong communal ties, were sold for raw material. They were seen not as a person but as valuable property at best–their value being determined by the trader, auctioneer, and families with the highest bid. Homosexual men/women in their struggle of “inequality” will never know of a day, month, year or decades that define them or their culture in this way.

You have not–and won’t–see homosexuals snatched away from their families at birth for the purpose of division and dehumanization.

what...
Reply 28
Original post by Longshot700
So my Uncle and his boyfriend are gay but the crap they say about blacks and middle easterners is just disgusting.

I don't understand how some people who are judged for a decision they've never made, can judge other people for a decision they've never made.

I dunno what to say to them, i have an idea for a line but i don't think i can say it here.

Damn you got it bad bro
I question your assessment that homosexuals have been oppressed for longer than black people because it's simply not true but I digress.

You have never seen–and won’t see–“heterosexual only” and “gay only” water fountains, diners, buses, schools, in light of 75 years of oppressive Jim Crow laws. Homosexual men/women will never see a society that makes it a point–IN EVERY ASPECT OF LIFE–to remind them that they’re lesser in creation and not deserving of life’s joys. The homosexual man/woman has never seen this day and never will.

You have not–and won’t–see homosexuals snatched away from their families at birth for the purpose of division and dehumanization. Some may think this is unfair because it deals with something that happened pre-civil rights, but historians agree that this was the root of all that was combated during the Civil Rights era. Society has never been set up to divide and conquer the homosexual from birth.

Homosexual men/women have never endured a slave trade for generations and witnessed their ancestors dying by the numbers during a “Middle Passage” and being sold for raw goods.The Middle Passage is part of the African American legacy as it brought Africans to America–as property. Many died during the Middle Passage; and those that made it, with strong communal ties, were sold for raw material. They were seen not as a person but as valuable property at best–their value being determined by the trader, auctioneer, and families with the highest bid. Homosexual men/women in their struggle of “inequality” will never know of a day, month, year or decades that define them or their culture in this way.

Homosexuality has been frowned upon since day 1. Your comparison isn't valid at all. Slavery for being "just black" is something that occured in America, Britain etc. Over the past thousands of years there have been loads of "black" countries where people weren't persecuted for being black. You're just taking an example that includes a few countries and a few hundred years. The death penalty for homosexuality has been present in EVERY country at some stage and for a much longer period of time. it's still a crime in a lot of countries now as well.
Homosexuality has been frowned upon since day 1. Your comparison isn't valid at all. Slavery for being "just black" is something that occured in America, Britain etc. Over the past thousands of years there have been loads of "black" countries where people weren't persecuted for being black. You're just taking an example that includes a few countries and a few hundred years. The death penalty for homosexuality has been present in EVERY country at some stage and for a much longer period of time. it's still a crime in a lot of countries now as well.

It all boils down to one simple truth, nobody knows you're gay until you announce it however black people have no such luxury, that is, we can't pick and choose our skin colour depending on the social response... We're "outed" the moment people see us. Many gay people hid their homosexuality before homosexuality became accepted so while homosexuals were being killed for being homosexual this did not happen to the majority of the homosexuals at whatever time period you are referring to.

Slavery happened. Gay people will never know such a struggle. They will never experience being taken against their will half a world away and separated from their families to become "farmers" and "maids" in countries that took their dignity away to this day.

Black people also faced the death penalty only it wasn't called the death penalty it was called, lynching, stoning, starvation and getting the life beaten out of you for putting one foot wrong.
It all boils down to one simple truth, nobody knows you're gay until you announce it however black people have no such luxury, that is, we can't pick and choose our skin colour depending on the social response... We're "outed" the moment people see us. Many gay people hid their homosexuality before homosexuality became accepted so while homosexuals were being killed for being homosexual this did not happen to the majority of the homosexuals at whatever time period you are referring to.

Slavery happened. Gay people will never know such a struggle. They will never experience being taken against their will half a world away and separated from their families to become "farmers" and "maids" in countries that took their dignity away to this day.

Black people also faced the death penalty only it wasn't called the death penalty it was called, lynching, stoning, starvation and getting the life beaten out of you for putting one foot wrong.

Again you're not responding to my point. Your examples are all from a 200-300 year period that happened in places such as Britain and America. That's all it was. It wasn't world-wide. It's such a narrow perspective There were loads of "all black" countries at the time, so they weren't treated as second class citizen in those. And you're forgetting the fact that homosexuals were expected to marry, have children etc. There were massive marrying pressures in the old times and anyone who didn't marry was considered weird (and rumors of being gay).
Reply 32
Lol a gay racist? Do they even exist?
Id rather be Black, than be a Homosexual!
All i have to say :smile:
Original post by BlackSweetness
Id rather be Black, than be a Homosexual!
All i have to say :smile:

That's a really silly comment. There's nothing wrong with being black or homosexual.
Original post by gwagon
Lol a gay racist? Do they even exist?

Yup.
Again you're not responding to my point. Your examples are all from a 200-300 year period that happened in places such as Britain and America. That's all it was. It wasn't world-wide. It's such a narrow perspective There were loads of "all black" countries at the time, so they weren't treated as second class citizen in those. And you're forgetting the fact that homosexuals were expected to marry, have children etc. There were massive marrying pressures in the old times and anyone who didn't marry was considered weird (and rumors of being gay).

Slavery was not exclusive to Britain and America, it included many, many countries and it was a global issue and it still is. I dislike how you keep trying to downplay slavery and it's impact and beyond that how you're attempting to shrug it off as a relic from the past despite current reports about it happening today, especially in the middle-east and Asia.

So, what? Gay people's lives were unhappy because they couldn't be out and proud, well at least they were alive. Cry me a river. Seriously.
Slavery is not exclusive to Britain and America, it included many other countries and it was a global issue and it still is. I dislike how you keep trying to downplay slavery and it's impact and beyond that how you're attempting to shrug it off as a relic from the past despite current reports about it happening today, especially in the middle-east and Asia.

So, what? Gay people's lives were unhappy because they couldn't be out and proud, well at least they were alive. Cry me a river. Seriously.

Now it's really evidently clear you didn't understand my point. I said that black people being treated like second class citizens only occurred in a few countries for a few hundred years. Yes. Slavery is a global issue. Black people took other black people as slaves, white people took black people as slaves and even white people took white people as slaves. Slavery is more of a class issue than a race issue. People were born into rich families and others weren't.

It must be fun to pull the race card out on every discussion right?
Send them over to my house.

We will get on very well. :wink:

And you will never experience it either, so you have no more right to play the victim-card than gay people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending