The Student Room Group

A2 Art/Photography ideas for exam

I just got my list of words for the exam piece and I've been told to do 'passageway'. I have a few ideas but not got a solid route I want to take (pardon my pun). I also don't know which photographers to reference and replicate. Is anyone else doing this topic and do you have any ideas/suggestions/advice?
I'm not doing this project so I'm not 100% sure if I'll be of much help in regards to the actual project, but I am in 1st year photography at uni...

I find it helps to start with what the word means; passageway can be interpreted as a good or bad thing I think. Good, because it connects people and places. Bad, because it could symbolise there was/still could be a reason for those people and places to be connected in a way that could at times be easily cut off.

Could be a good idea to look into the idea of movement, a passageway is a go between? Marcel Duchamp's painting - Nude Descending and Staircase, Alexey Titarenko's project City of Shadows is an interesting one that mostly shows people coming/going (would be easy and fun enough to recreate if you find a busy area and use a long exposure with a tripod), Henri Cartier-Bresson's image of a man using a make shift passageway from a ladder to aid him jumping over a puddle in France (could get a friend to help you stage something similar rather than doing what Bresson did and wait for the person to come along for 'the decisive moment')...

Could also look at Architectural photography and then follow that style to document passages/corridors/things linking each other in your area?

Hope this helps :-)
Reply 2
Original post by Bridgeen_c
I'm not doing this project so I'm not 100% sure if I'll be of much help in regards to the actual project, but I am in 1st year photography at uni...

I find it helps to start with what the word means; passageway can be interpreted as a good or bad thing I think. Good, because it connects people and places. Bad, because it could symbolise there was/still could be a reason for those people and places to be connected in a way that could at times be easily cut off.

Could be a good idea to look into the idea of movement, a passageway is a go between? Marcel Duchamp's painting - Nude Descending and Staircase, Alexey Titarenko's project City of Shadows is an interesting one that mostly shows people coming/going (would be easy and fun enough to recreate if you find a busy area and use a long exposure with a tripod), Henri Cartier-Bresson's image of a man using a make shift passageway from a ladder to aid him jumping over a puddle in France (could get a friend to help you stage something similar rather than doing what Bresson did and wait for the person to come along for 'the decisive moment':wink:...

Could also look at Architectural photography and then follow that style to document passages/corridors/things linking each other in your area?

Hope this helps :-)

This was so much help, thanks! :flip: Alexey Titarenko is perfect, there's definitely a lot to say about his images. As is Cartier-Bresson. I have to find around 5 photographers as a starting point but only have to develop 2 of them so I wouldn't necessarily need to recreate 'the decisive moment' but I could still use it as an example.
I've got quite a few photos of alleys and things in Rome and was thinking I could somehow contrast those to graffiti covered alleys in London (for example) so that could tie into architecture.

Which uni are you at?
Yeah, those three artists in particular are interesting to talk about because they have done some really great groundbreaking work, can bring in some history of their eras as well as analyse their work and what motivated the artists!
Your idea to contrast those images of Rome vs gritty London I think would be an interesting project too, would visually show the different cultures/history well!
Glad I could help, was a good bit of recapping for myself haha. I am in University of Ulster!
Reply 4
Original post by Bridgeen_c
Yeah, those three artists in particular are interesting to talk about because they have done some really great groundbreaking work, can bring in some history of their eras as well as analyse their work and what motivated the artists!
Your idea to contrast those images of Rome vs gritty London I think would be an interesting project too, would visually show the different cultures/history well!
Glad I could help, was a good bit of recapping for myself haha. I am in University of Ulster!

I really like the idea of the passage through time and think I'd really enjoy writing about the history. Thanks so much!

Quick Reply

Latest