The Student Room Group

Keep failing my Theory Test - It's been 10 times now atleast... I'm screwed.

Seriously... I started taking tests since I was 18, and now I am 24. I keep failing the theory part of the test and I know it is common sense, but I keep being skeptical in the test and with nerves combined, I keep failing dramatically...

I keep getting 40/50 each test... I got the Driving Theory CD and have been practicing. I don't know what to do now. I keep getting laughed at over still not being able to drive. The depression is really kicking in..
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Driving isn't for everyone. I'm not saying you should give up, but you've failed your theory 10 times, the easiest test when it comes to driving imo. Something is going wrong somewhere. I'd either look for new revision methods or accept that driving just isn't for you.
It's going to be a bit of a faf, but I think you're best way forward is to start doing a bit more analysis on your results. Look at all 10 of those questions that you got wrong, and then use that as the basis of your revision.

If there's stuff that you can't get you head around then try to find someone to explain it to you. Sometimes things that just don't make sense when you read them on the page can be grasped quickly once someone talks you through it.

If you're having driving lessons you can get your instructor to explain them to you.

Also think about things you can do to make the test less stressful. You don't need to tell anyone that you're taking the theory test, and then you don't need to worry about telling your mates you've failed. Try to pick an appointment time that you can arrive for in good time. When you're taking the test don't rush. Make sure you read the questions properly and double check all your answers before you click the end button.
Just buy this CD
Driving Test Success All Tests 2015 Edition, I passed second time a few years ago after using it you just need to practice it and if it's the hazard perception your struggling with then keep going over the clips and remember to click when you first see the hazards
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Driving-Test-Success-Tests-Edition/dp/1843265931
Try not to over complicate it, a lot of tests in our life are meant to make us think outside the box and second guess ourselves but theory tests involve the most simple answers, if it seems correct, it is correct. Also, it's understandable that after continually having to take the test that you're in a mentality where you think you're going to fail even before taking it but you need to remember that every attempt is a fresh start, don't let the other attempts affect you, focus on the one you're doing right at that moment :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Notorious123
Seriously... I started taking tests since I was 18, and now I am 24. I keep failing the theory part of the test and I know it is common sense, but I keep being skeptical in the test and with nerves combined, I keep failing dramatically...

I keep getting 40/50 each test... I got the Driving Theory CD and have been practicing. I don't know what to do now. I keep getting laughed at over still not being able to drive. The depression is really kicking in..

Get the app on your phone so you can revise on the move. You spent over £200 on this you need to pass. i passed it first time in 2012 but that was when it was multiple choice and i just memorised it all but also not mentioning it to anyone helped alot so felt no pressure. I felt the practical was worse and thankgod i no longer have to learn to drive and it was very expensive and time consuming.
Try the app instead, much more convienent than CD as you can practice it anywhere. Also buy the highway code and only book the test when you are getting 50/50 and passing the hazard perception - no point wasting your money.
The fact that you keep failing the questions part of the test over and over suggests a lack of preparation tbh. Are you taking practice tests? If so, I gather you're not passing them very often, so why would you then book your test knowing you're not ready?
You need to revise and practise every day till test day. It cannot be "winged" and there is more to it than just common sense. I used the official apps which you do need to pay for but I passed with 49/50 and 68/75 for the hazard perception test. I read the full highway code and practised every day for about 2 weeks (Probably a bit overkill but heyho).

If it is nerves and you're overthinking it, just keep taking mock tests and you'll soon know the answers however If you're not willing to put the work in, revise and learn the theory aka the law on driving then perhaps driving isn't for you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
I completely disagree with this. Theory may be the easiest part for you, but that doesn't apply to everyone. I have failed my theory twice recently (despite passing it four years ago...) but my driving instructor is always telling me I'm a great driver. The practical side of it comes very easily to me.

Never "accept that driving isn't for you". That's for quitters. Anyone can do anything they put their mind to, you just have to find the learning method that works for you :smile:
Yaa just keep trying boy , you will pass it's not end of the world is it!!
Reply 11
Have you considered that it can be related with attention difficulties? Ask your doctor about it. You need to be focused and requieres not to be distracted so you can pay attention to all the details. Best luck and do not stop trusting yourself. You deserve to achieve what you want/need and do not allowed the past to stop that. Empower yourself and think that you learn about how other can feel and that will help you to be a more copmasionate person with others, and maybe support them too. All the best.
Reply 12
Urm hi guys I havent started my theory yet but i booked the test for exactly one month from now , you think its enough time or nah ???
Original post by qam
Urm hi guys I havent started my theory yet but i booked the test for exactly one month from now , you think its enough time or nah ???

One month is plenty of time - you can go through every theory test question on any app and also practice the hazard perception in that time.
Reply 14
My son has just failed his 6 th attempt and is getting rather fed up because he can drive. He was ready for his test 2 months ago but can’t pass his theory. The thing is u don’t get a print out of the questions and what ones u have got wrong, u only get a print out of how many u have wrong in each catagory not the questions and answers so therefore you can’t revise the ones you got wrong in fact u don’t know which ones you have got wrong. It’s just another money making scam!
Original post by Zclarke
My son has just failed his 6 th attempt and is getting rather fed up because he can drive. He was ready for his test 2 months ago but can’t pass his theory. The thing is u don’t get a print out of the questions and what ones u have got wrong, u only get a print out of how many u have wrong in each catagory not the questions and answers so therefore you can’t revise the ones you got wrong in fact u don’t know which ones you have got wrong. It’s just another money making scam!

This is a colossal grave dig. But for the sake of not digging a deeper hole - the questions change every exam, so why does it matter; if he's getting them consistently correct on the DVSA app which costs peanuts for what it gives you in return (for starters, not having to pay to retake a test that costs like 7x as much as the app does) then he doesn't need a breakdown of his exam. If he's performing poorly on hazard perception; he needs to focus on that, if he's struggling on one particular category; ie vehicle handling (I don't remember the categories, my results sat on my desk for months because I thought I was going to need it for my exam back in Nov and now that I wanna look at it - it's gone missing, gg) - this is the category he needs to keep doing questions for.

I know it's parental instinct generally to defend your kids; but just because he's botching his revision repeatedly doesn't automatically mean a test that many young people pass in Britain every single day without issue is a scam. That test is designed to make sure he's safe; if I had kids I'd want that peace of mind seeing as they're essentially in control of a lethal, mechanic weapon. Without coming down on you too hard; if he's failed it 6 times - then he isn't ready for his driving test.

I could drive on Colin McCrae with a wheel/pedal set in an arcade in Brighton without crashing when I was 8 years old; it doesn't mean by any stretch of the way I understood what safe driving is. This is, admittedly, an awful analogy (lack of real life hazards and handling on games wasn't nearly as realistic back then as it is now 16 years later) - but I hope the point is clear enough. Wish him the best of luck.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
I passed my one on the first go, Becuse I paid the lady on the computer room extra £20 to get tell me the correct answers through headphones, Only reason why was because there was no one else there that day
Original post by Zclarke

It's a money making scam because your son can't be bothered to learn these things? Never mind the fact that a good 90% of this is basically common sense anyway, another good 7% is stuff his instructor should've taught/he should've picked up while driving and the rest is stuff that may not be so blatantly obvious, but not hard to grasp at all...
Original post by Zclarke

Money making scam? The theory test should be called the common sense test. Tell your son to download the theory test app and practice more.
****ing idiot

Latest

Trending

Trending