The Student Room Group

How a review of an artwork should be organised? and what should be included in it?

I applied for BA fine art to Lancaster Uni and was required to send a written work - review of an artwork. I am not sure, what should I write there. Does it need any title?
Reply 1
have you been given a word count for this work? the first thing you ought to do is choose a work to review - one that you're particularly drawn to, in order to show your own unique insight. there's no one correct structure for an essay like this, but you might find it helpful to think of it somewhat like an english literature essay. you might like to include:
-analysis of the work 'as it appears' (that is to say; without context, just discuss the effect of what is there. both in whole and in individual parts / characteristics)
-art historical context (when the work was made, the implications / influences of this period of time, the ways in which this might affect our understanding of the work)
-your understanding of the concerns of the artist behind the work
-perhaps some alternative theoretical or critical perspectives, if you have the room
-why you've chosen this work, what exactly draws you to it
Reply 2
Original post by pluston
have you been given a word count for this work? the first thing you ought to do is choose a work to review - one that you're particularly drawn to, in order to show your own unique insight. there's no one correct structure for an essay like this, but you might find it helpful to think of it somewhat like an english literature essay. you might like to include:
-analysis of the work 'as it appears' (that is to say; without context, just discuss the effect of what is there. both in whole and in individual parts / characteristics)
-art historical context (when the work was made, the implications / influences of this period of time, the ways in which this might affect our understanding of the work)
-your understanding of the concerns of the artist behind the work
-perhaps some alternative theoretical or critical perspectives, if you have the room
-why you've chosen this work, what exactly draws you to it

Word count was not given. I have approximately 500 words. Thank you! Your advice made me feel confident! I have written it almost as you suggested :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by musicpeople
Word count was not given. I have approximately 500 words. Thank you! Your advice made me feel confident! I have written it almost as you suggested :smile:

oh - 500 doesn't seem like very much to me, I was anticipating at least 1000, maybe up to 2000. otherwise the writing might be seen as less strong, due to there necessarily being less detail, especially given the amount of topics that I suggested. in fact I did some googling and a similar thread from 2011 (x) suggests that lancaster set the same task, but with a >1000 word requirement. I think that sounds more sensible, but it's up to you since they apparently stopped setting that requirement! no problem, by the way!

Quick Reply

Latest