The Student Room Group

Can you drink while on antidepressants ?

My gp recommends I take SSRI antidepressants for my anxiety and depression that's has been going on for a while. If any of you know or have been on them can you drink while you take them? as in the same day ?
It's not really recommended. Ime, drinking on SSRIs makes you get drunk quite a bit quicker. When I was on citalopram I could drink 2 pints and be done for the night.
Erm I'm on antidepressants and I've drunk alcohol and I'm still alive soooo....:erm:
Reply 3
I tried drinking once and it made me feel a lot worse in the morning.
Reply 4
Its not recommended, especially when you are first starting them out and you aren't fully out of the side effect stage. As far as I know, taking antidepressants and drinking can make you feel extra drowsy or make you feel drunk quicker. My mum has been on antidepressants for about 12 years now and drinks like everyone else but she will be used to her tablets by now but I remember she didn't drink at all for the first year on them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I asked this question whilst at an appointment with my GP about my antidepressants, and I was told that the odd glass of wine in the evening won't be detrimental. Apparently, drinking one glass of wine whilst on antidepressants is the equivalent of drinking two glasses.
Original post by Anonymous
My gp recommends I take SSRI antidepressants for my anxiety and depression that's has been going on for a while. If any of you know or have been on them can you drink while you take them? as in the same day ?

my friend almost died doing that, don't drink when on medication at all, are you stupid?
Reply 7
I have been on antidepressants on and off (currently OFF for over 2 years :smile: ) and still drank while on them. Modern day antidepressants are a lot safer, they are not like the old ones where simply eating cheese on them could be fatal! However.....alcohol is a depressant so drinking on them counteracts what they are doing to improve your mood! And you will find that you actually want to drink less anyway on ADs - and any drink you have will have more of an effect on them so if you DO drink on them, best take it easy although I would not throw any official 'limits' at you as now the Government are saying there is no safe limit for any of us antidepressants or otherwise!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest