The Student Room Group

Height

What's the big issue with guys under the average height?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I honestly have no idea, probably some pop culture romanticisation of the tall guy to protect the short girl. Another is the masculinity complex, men are told they're inferior if they aren't the tallest, and to be a woman's inferior 'what an outrage!'
It's sad that we are so superficial, why should it matter?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Exactly! What's to say the shorter guy can't provide or be masculine, takes the piss a bit how people just don't see it
It's just a preference some girls don't care. It's a masculine thing, and feeling protected I think.
A short guy can still protect his gf though...
Original post by Anonymous
A short guy can still protect his gf though...

Granted, but a big guy is a lot less likely to have anyone try and mess with his girl in the first place :wink:
Lol at short people. I am 6 feet 1 barefoot and I love it. Makes me feel awesome standing next to manlets.

Ngl some guys who are tall, only feel awesome next to short guys because they lack confidence and that's their only way of showing it
Reply 7
Original post by WoodyMKC
Granted, but a big guy is a lot less likely to have anyone try and mess with his girl in the first place :wink:

Not true, plenty of guys I know who are taller than me, wouldn't step in to half the stuff I have
If you have to use your height of all things against shorter guys to feel better about yourself you have serious confidence issues my friend.

Being short is ****ing awesome.
Original post by TheUniLad
Not true, plenty of guys I know who are taller than me, wouldn't step in to half the stuff I have

Indeed, the tall guy doesn't automatically possess the skills or inclination to fight. However, the vast majority of people automatically perceive tall & built = dangerous. I'm 6'2'' and pretty built and on numerous occasions in the last year or two I've been described as not someone you'd want to mess with, or something along those lines. People have no idea if I can or can't fight, they just assume I'd probably knock them out in one punch due to my size/power advantage :lol:
Ngl some guys who are tall, only feel awesome next to short guys because they lack confidence and that's their only way of showing it

Original post by LadyEcliptic
If you have to use your height of all things against shorter guys to feel better about yourself you have serious confidence issues my friend.

Could also say that short guys constantly trying to get validation or pointing out the advantages of being short is a blatant demonstration of their lack of confidence :wink:
Reply 11
We likely have very primitive brains still. Once upon a time there was a concrete point to being bigger and more intimidating/able to physically protect. Now it's just a self-fulfilling bias; it only matters because we think it matters. A bit like perception of female promiscuity.
Original post by LadyEcliptic

:rofl:

the things manlets come up with :lol:
AFAIK, girls want to feel small and feminine and tall guys make them feel like that. Idk.

Original post by WoodyMKC
Could also say that short guys constantly trying to get validation or pointing out the advantages of being short is a blatant demonstration of their lack of confidence :wink:
Never heard of a short guy pointing out the advantages of being short because there aren't any. Ladyecliptic doesn't sound like a guy.
(edited 8 years ago)
im 5"5 im 15 but im not growing and im a boy so what do i do >_<
5'6 here - height has probably limited my chances at success before with girls a good deal of times - but I've definitely been absolutely fine with girls who've been at least a few inches shorter

you have to play it off to your advantage - you have to seem confident enough to make your height seem like a good thing, and it's hard but it's possible :lol: nobody likes a negative aura in terms of a person's personal features. if you find a girl, for instance, who's insanely insecure about her nose or her ears, you're going to be much more conscious of her nose/ears now that she keeps letting you know that it's a bad thing
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
im 5"5 im 15 but im not growing and im a boy so what do i do >_<

15 eh
Your best bet is probably to continue growing older
Original post by Sisuphos
Never heard of a short guy pointing out the advantages of being short.

I see you've not been on TSR for very long - you'll come across it at some point :lol:
My boyfriend is only 5'6, but he's lovely and perfect for me, I'm only 5'3 so it isn't an issue...even if I was taller, I wouldn't give a ****, people need to stop being so damn superficial
5'11 at 15

hope i get to at least 6'

Quick Reply