The Student Room Group

Acceptable forms of ID at the cinema

Next week, I'm planning on seeing Deadpool with a friend. The film is rated 15, and both of us are 16, so there are no problems concerning underage viewing.

My only concern is my friend not getting in due to lack of ID. I always take mine but they've told me that they've never done so and have never needed it. They do look older than their age so it's more of a 'just-in-case' situation, but I'm worried that both of us may get asked for ID and that if my friend didn't have any, I wouldn't be able to see the film with her.

I've asked my friend about what forms of ID they have, who told me that all they have is a travel pass (as photo ID) and a birth certificate (with their DOB), but what I thought was the real birth certificate turns out to be a photocopy.

I've messaged the cinema chain about it, and they've told me that any forms of ID would be acceptable as long as it contains a photo and DOB, but in response to me asking about photocopied birth certificates, they said that my friend would have to bring along the real thing to get it photocopied at the cinema and kept on file there. The trouble is that she doesn't have access to the real one :shock:

I'm treating this as quite a big problem, but am I blowing it out of proportion, and would a cinema accept a photocopied birth certificate as ID?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm pretty sure a birth certificate is not a form of ID as it doesn't have a photo on it?

Valid forms of ID:
- Passport
- Pass Accredited Card
- EU National Card
- Military Card
- Driving License

That's what I was told anyway, you can get pass accredited cards for under 18's.
Reply 2
Original post by cpaige21
I'm pretty sure a birth certificate is not a form of ID as it doesn't have a photo on it?

That's why I mentioned the bus pass - it has a photo on it so she's using it in conjunction with the birth certificate (the birth certificate to prove her DOB, and the bus pass as photo ID)
I've never been ID'd at the cinema despite being very young looking, they tend to just ask for my date of birth.
I've used my oyster card (16-18) when they asked and it was fine :lol:
But the tickets for your friend and then meet up at the screen. Age restrictions for movies are not taken seriously. Not like alcohol.
Reply 6
Original post by callum_law
But the tickets for your friend and then meet up at the screen. Age restrictions for movies are not taken seriously. Not like alcohol.

Can't do that unfortunately - I've already pre-booked the tickets online. I would've used that plan except that it's one of those cinemas with an usher outside of each corridor to tear the tickets (Cineworld).

Again, we're not trying to be sneaky or illegal because we're both of the right age to see the film - there's just a 50/50 chance of being asked for ID or not, which I have but which my friend doesn't. I'll be completely fine but I'm trying to help my friend out (who has never been ID'd for a 15 cert before - this is a 'just-in-case' situation and it's not likely that she'll be asked for ID, but we don't want to be caught off-guard if we do).

So far, I've seen four 15-rated films at the cinema, and have only been ID'd for one of them, which was Fury, but then again, I saw that only a week after turning 15 so they were right to ask that time IMO (I would've looked young for my age at that point)

Buying films on Blu-Ray is a different story - I get ID'd around half of the time and it depends on the cashier, as I've had ID either requested or not asked for even in the same shop.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by rotomhead25
Can't do that unfortunately - I've already pre-booked the tickets online. I would've used that plan except that it's one of those cinemas with an usher outside of each corridor to tear the tickets.

Generally you get ID'd when you purchase the tickets, rather than by the usher.
The only time I got "ID'd" at a cinema was when I was 11, trying to see a 12 with my dad (this was before 12A existed). The cinema guy asked for my date of birth, and I gave the answer but one year back. We saw the film. My dad told my mum that I lied smoothly enough and they both said that I did a good job.
Reply 9
Original post by SmashConcept
The only time I got "ID'd" at a cinema was when I was 11, trying to see a 12 with my dad (this was before 12A existed). The cinema guy asked for my date of birth, and I gave the answer but one year back. We saw the film. My dad told my mum that I lied smoothly enough and they both said that I did a good job.

OP here - my brother successfully pulled this off when seeing a 15 a month before turning that age. My mum was with him, however, which may have helped somewhat.

Thanks for the suggestion and I'll take it into account, although I've heard of many cases where this hasn't worked.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by callum_law
Generally you get ID'd when you purchase the tickets, rather than by the usher.

Not in my case.

At the cinema which I go to (the Cineworld in The Cornerhouse, Nottingham), there are ticketing machines where you can print off pre-booked tickets that you've purchased online by entering in a reference code (which is what I'm doing to see this film, as I've already booked the tickets online).
After doing that, you hand your tickets to the usher , who is standing outside of the screen corridor in the lobby, next to the queue. He'll then check and tear your ticket, before possibly asking for ID if he thinks that you're too young.

If you've purchased your tickets at the counter, you might get asked for ID twice: once by the cashier when buying them, and again by the usher when he checks and tears them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
i think this is the perks of having south asian beard genes @ 15 yrs old

i just grow my beard out a lil and take my glasses off, never been asked for ID!!!!
bc the beard adds at least 4 yrs!!

watching deadpool also
You should be fine! Most of the time, they wouldn't really care - it's not like it's an 18 :tongue: Don't you have a school ID?
Original post by DedicatedWizard
You should be fine! Most of the time, they wouldn't really care - it's not like it's an 18 :tongue: Don't you have a school ID?

Again, it's not me who needs ID (I always use an expired passport) - it's my friend. She's planning on taking her bus pass (as photo evidence) and a photocopy of her birth certificate (as DOB evidence).

Then again, she's never been ID'd for anything before, so perhaps I'm overreacting just a little :smile: As I've said, I hardly ever get ID'd at the cinema either.

And no - we don't have 'proper' school ID. We have library passes, but they're just laminated pieces of paper (and don't have our birth dates either) so I highly doubt that a cinema would accept them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Again, it's not me who needs ID (I always use an expired passport) - it's my friend. She's planning on taking her bus pass (as photo evidence) and a photocopy of her birth certificate (as DOB evidence).

Then again, she's never been ID'd for anything before, so perhaps I'm overreacting just a little :smile:

And no - we don't have 'proper' school ID. We have library passes, but they're just laminated pieces of paper (and don't have our birth dates either) so I highly doubt that a cinema would accept them.

I think your friend should be fine, even better if she looks her age :smile: I think the proofs are perfectly acceptable as well!

OP, update when the day arrives. I actually want to know what happens :lol:

OP, update when the day arrives. I actually want to know what happens :lol:

Will do :smile: - I'm seeing it next Thursday (11/02) around midday so check back then
I never bring my ID but my friends always do (I'm also 16) and I've gotten by fine
Will do :smile: - I'm seeing it next Thursday (11/02) around midday so check back then

Can you quote me? I feel like I will forget to check :lol:
Can you quote me? I feel like I will forget to check :lol:

Here you go :smile:
hello, cinema worker here. We can't ask for ID if it's a 15 because most people don't have ID at 15, all we can ask is your age and date of birth and unless your lying about it (like say you're 16 then give me a 1997 date of birth) then we have to let you in. If it's an 18 however we're completely allowed to ask for photo ID because you're expected to carry it and it's likely to be a very violent film. BUT deadpool was previously rated an 18 and it's been dropped down so expect to be asked for your date of birth OP

tl;dr you absolutely don't need ID, we only ask your date of birth
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest