The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

the meadows dangerous?

Okay, so I made the bad decision of googling "rape in the meadows" and now, am scared to walk around there at all. How safe is it? Are these kinds of instances common? One of the assaults happened at like 3am and another around 6:30pm...

What are bad times to walk in the meadows? Because I normally like to stay in the library really late, or even head there around 7pm but now am too nervous...

Is it safer to walk along Buccleuch Street?
It is always safer to walk along a well lit street. It is about using your common sense. But I used to walk through the meadows at all hours when I lived in Edinburgh. But people get attacked in all manner of streets and at all times of the day.

If you are walking alone have a rape alarm in your pocket (it may not attract attention but if you hold it to an attackers ear it will damn near deafen them and you may be able to get away), don't have a hood up obscuring your view, don't have headphones in so you can hear if you are being followed or called to.

But don't stop living your life and being afraid to go out. Attacks happen but they are really rare in comparison to other parts of the world.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Never had or heard of anyone who's had problems in the Meadows. Common sense always applies and bad things can happen.
I mean, if you google "plane crash" before you go flying, you'll find a lot of scary stories, but that doesn't mean the plane will crash, does it? Or "car accident" before you go out driving.
based on crime statistics (i'm an american so these are possibly statistics for america only) that I know of, you are 80% more likely to be assaulted by an acquaintance than by a stranger accosting you on a walk home. be more wary of the too-friendly person from class who offers to walk you home from the library through the meadows rather than the stranger behind a corner.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending