The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham college allocation 2016

As we have entered February Durham should begin to allocate colleges.
Do you think you will be/have you been reallocated to a different college? Why did you choose the college you applied to? Will you be going to a Post Application Open Day?

I have an offer for law, with no college preference, so was just wondering what other people thought.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have an offer for natural sciences, I chose josephine butler as my college mainly because it was the newest one, and all the rooms are ensuite :lol: I'm not sure if i'll be allocated that one as I only just rcieved my offer.

I would like to go to an offer holders day but I haven't been told anything about one so I'm not sure if they're holding one, but it would be good as I haven't visited durham yet.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Applied to Castle, economics

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied to St Chad's for Anthropology and Sociology. I got my offer late December so I'm crossing my fingers hoping I get allocated to St Chad's. I'm going to try my best to go to a post-offer open day!
Never been to Durham, so browsed the website to decide on a college the day before I sent it off (probably not the best idea aha) for Chinese studies. I went for Castle because I thought it would be fun to live in a castle (sensible criteria)! I've since been told by teachers I probably should have chosen one of the others, so I'm expecting a random allocation :smile: Doesn't really matter to me, I'm sure they're all lovely!
Reply 5
Original post by Alex621
I have an offer for natural sciences, I chose josephine butler as my college mainly because it was the newest one, and all the rooms are ensuite :lol: I'm not sure if i'll be allocated that one as I only just rcieved my offer.
I would like to go to an offer holders day but I haven't been told anything about one so I'm not sure if they're holding one, but it would be good as I haven't visited durham yet.

There will be offer days in March, all colleges will do so and you'll be invited once you find out which college you'll be at, and you'll stay a night there. There should be a page on the website on this.

I applied to St Mary's, also natural sciences! Visited it on the open day and it was nice and old but not tiny and round the corner from the library/ science buildings!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Applied to St Mary's for Education Studies (with English) - got the offer 3rd of Feburary so hoping I get in to Mary's! Don't know of many people who have Education or English offers yet so here's hoping!
Reply 7
Original post by bj1
There will be offer days in March, all colleges will do so and you'll be invited once you find out which college you'll be at, and you'll stay a night there. There should be a page on the website on this.

I applied to St Mary's, also natural sciences! Visited it on the open day and it was nice and old but not tiny and round the corner from the library/ science buildings!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right ok, thanks! Yep I just looked on the website and it mentions it, I didn't realise it was centrered around the college, I was just expecting a department open day, it sounds really good though, and I can't wait :biggrin: I chose my college on the day I sent my application so I won't be too dissapointed if I dont get it, but it's the one I know most about.

Isn't it strange that they allocate colleges before people have accepted the offer? Won't it mess the numbers up if people choose other offers over Durham...
Original post by Alex621
Ah right ok, thanks! Yep I just looked on the website and it mentions it, I didn't realise it was centrered around the college, I was just expecting a department open day, it sounds really good though, and I can't wait :biggrin: I chose my college on the day I sent my application so I won't be too dissapointed if I dont get it, but it's the one I know most about.

Isn't it strange that they allocate colleges before people have accepted the offer? Won't it mess the numbers up if people choose other offers over Durham...

Yes. I think that too! I guess they now what they are doing ....
Tbh I think that anyone who has already recieved an offer will probably get in to their desired college. So many people haven't heard back yet it's unlikely colleges would be oversubscribed at this point.
Hello. Does anyone know how the room sizes at St Mary's compare with other colleges and does anyone have any comments on the facilities at St Mary's for example the gym, bar and common room? Thanks for any thoughts!
Original post by bj1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mary's is sooo nice for science. You can get to lectures in just a few minutes because it's so close. And it's just a generally nice college

Original post by jasminetwine
Hello. Does anyone know how the room sizes at St Mary's compare with other colleges and does anyone have any comments on the facilities at St Mary's for example the gym, bar and common room? Thanks for any thoughts!

Can't speak about anything else, but it's a bit of a meme bar to be honest. Very small, but it's not the end of the world :smile:
Hi v thrilled to get an offer for eng lit! Applied to castle but I know its very popular - anyone know the chances of gettign in there? Obviously I'd love any college but just wondering...
Original post by newtothis00
Hi v thrilled to get an offer for eng lit! Applied to castle but I know its very popular - anyone know the chances of gettign in there? Obviously I'd love any college but just wondering...

Firstly, congratulations on your offer! I'm a fellow Literature Offer Holder, due to the competitive nature of the course I haven't seen or heard of many other people with offers and as far as I am aware Durham tries to get a mixture of subjects represented in each college. This may mean that many of the colleges aren't over-subscribed for Literature and so the chances of getting first choice may be more likely. However, Castle is a very popular choice regardless of subject (because it's so beautiful) and so the situation may be different, but you have an offer and have every chance of getting allocated to Castle!
Reply 14
Ancient History and Archaeology, applied to St John's.. I really hope that I get John's - I feel a special connection with that college :wink:
Original post by newtothis00

Congratulations! That's amazing!
When did you apply and when did you receive the offer?
I'm still waiting...
Hope you get allocated to castle x
Original post by ziggyystardust
Congratulations! That's amazing!
When did you apply and when did you receive the offer?
I'm still waiting...
Hope you get allocated to castle x

Thank you - I'm so pleased!! I applied early October and got my offer last week - don't worry, I'm sure yours will be coming soon!
Has anyone heard what college they've been allocated yet?:smile:
Original post by KirstyG_psbkj
Has anyone heard what college they've been allocated yet?:smile:

Last year they all heard on the 16th of February (at least that's what I gather from last year's college allocation post) so hopefully we'll hear by early next week :smile:
Reply 19
Are the allocations via email or do they come in the post?

Quick Reply

Latest