The Student Room Group

My grades are Dreadful and I NEED to improve!!!

I made this post years ago, I look back on it now and I cringe because of how stupid 13 year old me was 🤦
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

sigh i wish your problems were mine
Reply 2
Original post by curiousduck
sigh i wish your problems were mine

LOL same

Buy some CGP guides for your exam boards? Ask question if you don't understand? Just work hard and work a lot :-)
Original post by Azula
LOL same

Buy some CGP guides for your exam boards? Ask question if you don't understand? Just work hard and work a lot :-)

No I meant I wish I was in year 9 again :lol: and worrying about grades that don't really matter, in fact I wish I was doing GCSE's again...
Reply 4
Original post by T0RUN
Okay I have done that my mom had ordered some books for revising and learning, but are there any other ways as well such at any websites that could help me steadily but surely improve my grades.

BBC Bitesize is good. Best thing to do is to just make notes from revision guides, do past papers, and pay attention in lessons? IDK It should be fine you have aaaages

No I meant I wish I was in year 9 again :lol: and worrying about grades that don't really matter, in fact I wish I was doing GCSE's again...

Yeah I know :biggrin: I was agreeing with that HAHA I replied to the OP in the same post :-)
I'm doing A2s now lol fun
Original post by T0RUN
How old r u now?

Original post by Azula
Yeah I know :biggrin: I was agreeing with that HAHA I replied to the OP in the same post :-)
I'm doing A2s now lol fun

Ohhhh :rofl: I thought you were telling ME to buy some CGP books :lol:
Reply 6

I'm 17 too!! HAHA Lol nooo although I still use them :lol:
C/D grades in Year 9? LOL you're on track please calm down
Reply 8
I wouldn't say your grades are bad, but if you do want better grades here are some tips. If you're in Year 9 aren't you doing the new GCSE's with the number grades?

These tips pretty much only apply for science and geography.

Once you get home, summarise the work you've done in lessons and write the summary on a notebook or something and read over your class notes - I like highlighting them. I usually go and read everything about the topic on revision guides and bitesize as soon as I found out what the topic is. Also, when you do the tests, make sure you revise effectively - only reading your notes isn't that effective - especially for Year 9 end of topic exams. Revision Cards - 8 to an A4 page are often useful, but more importantly mini quizzes. I don't actually know what you're meant to call them but just those flashcard with the questions on one side and the answers on the other side. And don't be tempted to flick the card before knowing the answer. The more questions you can think of the better. E.g you have a test on cells
Q: what is the function of a chloroplast
A: to about sunlight for photosynthesis

Hope the advice helps you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
*absorb sunlight

Posted from TSR Mobile
Learn early that hard work pays off. Get a schedule, habitual learning is easy and feel natural. I'm at uni now, but I let my GCSEs creep up on me and I didn't do as good as I could have done. Most of the time there is no substitute for hard work - if you try hard enough you will get exactly what you want. I know more than most people that one simple thing can change your grades.

If you are unhappy in life or these 'events' are occurring, don't see them as a distraction from work, but see work as a distraction from them. See it as "other bad stuff is happening, but at least I'm getting on track with my work - that's something positive".

:smile:
don't stress lad. CGP guides are the answer to your problems
Reply 12
As above, CGP was my saviour!

Moreover, you still have plenty of time! Fret not, if you're improving now a few years down the line (when results become more important) you'll be doing just fine!
Reply 13
Original post by T0RUN
Okay I have done that my mom had ordered some books for revising and learning, but are there any other ways as well such at any websites that could help me steadily but surely improve my grades.

I used to watch lots of YouTube videos when revising for those subjects and it was a successful method for me:smile:.

I was also bullied quite bad in year 8 because I was a teachers pet. This made me want to mess around so I could start making friends. Unfortunately all that messing around back lashed and I went to lower sets :frown:. Eventually I moved schools because of travelling issues and managed to make friends and become a lot happier which resulted in good grades for my GCSE's. :smile:
hey don't worry too much, you've still got loads of time to improve! work hard and you will get there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by T0RUN
Thanks :smile: But I do wish that my grades were better here are them in recent tests

Maths - D+
Physics - C+
Biology - E+
Chemisty - F

I would want a B by the end f the year.

May be... I went from an E/D to a B in maths. If you revise hard enough any thing is possible:smile:
Reply 16
Original post by T0RUN
Seems good! :smile:
I was bullied due to having a vitiligo and everyone used to harrising me about it in PE classes and due to the fact most students just had really spiteful attitudes towards me.

Do you think I can go from

Science E to a B
Maths F+ to a A by the end of the year ?

That might be a bit too ambitious! Depends on how far you're willing to go though and also how high they even let you achieve in exams. The highest grade boundaries for my last exam was a 5 - so a C+ and that was 95%+...
Considering you're in Year 9 - if you want to aim for the A* (8/9), you should be a solid A by the end of Year 10 and a B- at the end of Year 9 - because most schools make most progress in Year 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by T0RUN
Well at the End of year X1 and Y1 are going to be doing a high GCSE paper test C-A I could get that A at the end of the year test..... Do you think I might be able to get that A?

I don't get what you mean by the X1 and Y1 - but I'm just thick like that.
Yeah sure! They must think that the students have the potential to achieve it if they're going to let them get it. Considering it's an actual higher GCSE paper - you can do some of the past papers and actually see what grade you'd have gotten and you'll probably stumble across some of the questions that will come in your exam lol. Just make sure you go back and do corrections, working out your weaknesses and strengths. I think we're talking about maths here...

What month is the exam - because we always have exams before holidays - and we have to devote that holiday to suffering in our bedrooms with tacky revision cards praying that the revision is actually relevant to what will come in the exam....
But seriously, a holiday before exams is actually great news for your exam grades - as long as you actually spend the holiday full on revising

I think it is possible to get an A. Maybe not even as hard as you think, with GCSE grades in Year 9, they're always jumping up and down. People go from A's in exams to D's in the next. Purely due to grade boundaries that aren't always accurate and don't allow you to get a higher grade which I suppose we just have to accept.

Wow... This was a longer post than I expected it to be. When you do get to exam season just PM me or something because if it's in the summer I doubt this thread will remain live.
Oh and I hope my feedback actually does end up being useful to you
:wink:
Reply 18
Original post by T0RUN
Well X1 and Y1 are the tops sets in my year who will be doing this test.
I will defiantly take into consideration what you said! :smile: BTW i thinks it's in May or June :]

well I used CGP when I was 17 lol

Quick Reply

Latest