The Student Room Group

Studying a part time degree- has anyone got any experiences?

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is in the correct topic so apologies if not. I have recently completed my A levels (sept 2015) and got an unconditional offer to study nutrition. However, after feeling I wasn't ready to go straight back into full time education I decided to defer the offer and get a job for this year. Following this I have recently just moved in with my partner. Now the thought of uni is even worse for me, for numerous reasons:

- I love my job
- Im not very outgoing and I don't often drink/go out drinking
- I love living with my partner
- I cant really stand the thought of another 3/4 years in full time ed

Therefore I have decided to apply for a part time degree for a similar course, around 10 contact hours a week. This means I can still keep my job (drop down a few hours) and study at the same time, which I feel would be the perfect balance for me. However I know that an unconditional offer is almost too good to turn down. I'm just panicking at the thought of university full time and I cannot bear to tell my parents I don't want to go as they are set on me getting a degree starting in September. Also, will employers see achieving a degree part time lower than one full time?

I am really happy and excited about the idea of this course and I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with studying part time in a similar situation?

Thanks so much in advance,

Lottie
A degree is a degree whether it's done part or full time. Remember that people have all sorts of circumstances that stop them from doing a full time degree so don't worry about it. There are plenty of people who juggle work and postgrad courses so an undergrad one is doable. It'll just take longer. Make sure you have a good space to study and manage your time well to stay motivated and on top of things. But equally, make time for your other half and some down time so you don't end up exhausted. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending