The Student Room Group

Why are women who are 'gym rats' seen ad selfish?

If an older woman chose not to have children but led a very physically fit lifestyle (toned abs and all that) some people would say she was selfish, since she was focused very much on herself. Yet whats the difference between this and a childless people who just watches tv in her spare time? Since tv is entertaining oneself.
I don't think there is a link between people feeling strange towards women who don't have children and their other behaviours. Regardless of what women do, lots of people seem to find it odd if they don't have children.

It's a social issue that is slowly changing :yes:.
They're not, at least I've never heard of that. I'm sorry that they can't handle some words, if they can't go back to nursery.
Reply 3
People with children naturally want everyone else to be just as miserable as they are.
Original post by Jebedee
People with children naturally want everyone else to be just as miserable as they are.

Or they think having children is the best experience of their life that they sneer at those willing to miss out on it
Reply 5
Original post by shawn_o1
Or they think having children is the best experience of their life that they sneer at those willing to miss out on it

Because they lived such a bleak life, having a child was the only way to justify their existence. :biggrin:
Because women should really be spending their time caring for children than trying to become strong, which is what a man should be doing. The man should also be caring for children but to a lesser extent.

But I think watching TV is just as bad.
Original post by hoping4Astars
Because women should really be spending their time caring for children than trying to become strong, which is what a man should be doing. The man should also be caring for children but to a lesser extent.

0/10 for effort.

:troll:
Original post by Anonymous
0/10 for effort.

:troll:

I was not trolling; I was merely expressing my personal view on the topic.
Reply 9

I think the opposite with todays lifestyle. The reason women get health problems post menopause is because they are not keeping strong, if anything women need to work out more than men do to avoid osteoporosis/maintain muscle/bone mass etc. The many benefits of a good exercise routine post menopause suggest that tthe body is meant to be active children or no children.
The gym is not only for vanity reasons, it helps with stress relieve and if you have kids you sure need it.

In the 21st century women can be as fit or strong as they like and parenting is often divided equally.
Original post by mistyblue~
If an older woman chose not to have children but led a very physically fit lifestyle (toned abs and all that) some people would say she was selfish, since she was focused very much on herself. Yet whats the difference between this and a childless people who just watches tv in her spare time? Since tv is entertaining oneself.

Correction: A "physically fit lifestyle" doesn't correlate with "toned abs". Abs come as a by product of being in a caloric deficit and having a low body fat %. I wouldn't say she's "selfish" but that she is driven, ambitious and isn't afraid of going after what she wants.

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Correction: A "physically fit lifestyle" doesn't correlate with "toned abs". Abs come as a by product of being in a caloric deficit and having a low body fat %. I wouldn't say she's "selfish" but that she is driven, ambitious and isn't afraid of going after what she wants.

Ya I knew that bro, Im describing a woman who had the athletic look ie jessica ennis. Some say she is attractive, others say that they wouldnt want to shag a brick.

:facepalm: :facepalm:
Women control reproduction in our species (when they don't, we call it rape, and even Republican nutjobs abort the baby). Therefore when we see a woman flatly refusing to reproduce because she is more concerned about her stupid Instagram self shots we fear for the survival of our tribe. The woman comes under social censure.

Alternatively, it could be what was decided at last week's secret patriarchy meeting.
Original post by scrotgrot
Women control reproduction in our species (when they don't, we call it rape, and even Republican nutjobs abort the baby). Therefore when we see a woman flatly refusing to reproduce because she is more concerned about her stupid Instagram self shots we fear for the survival of our tribe. The woman comes under social censure.

Alternatively, it could be what was decided at last week's secret patriarchy meeting.

I don't.
Reply 17
Original post by scrotgrot

Hea but dont you feel for the survival of the tribe when men dont want children
Original post by mistyblue~
Hea but dont you feel for the survival of the tribe when men dont want children

Yes, I also think men who don't want children are weird, but the salient point is that men don't control reproduction so it's not as important.

I don't really "agree" with what is above, goodness knows people can do whatever they want with their own lives. It is a pithy evolutionary explanation for why people are naturally suspicious of a woman who doesn't want children. One which I certainly find more plausible than the patriarchy construct.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending