The Student Room Group

IMF

Hiii

How and when would I know if the strongest IMF present is van der Waals' or dipole-dipole for e.g. CH3F?

Thanks c:
It looks like English, and yet, I don't understand it at all.
Reply 2
It depends on the species present and the difference in electronegativity. In the case of CH3F fluorine is extremely electronegative in comparison to carbon. It's just something you learn. Elements in the same group as fluorine tend to be very electronegative. If it were just CH4 you wouldn't get this dipole-dipole intersection due to the lack of difference in electronegativity between hydrogen and carbon.

If you have a lone pair on your central atom and hydrogen atoms bonded to it then you will have hydrogen bonding. E.g H2O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by mliela
It depends on the species present and the difference in electronegativity. In the case of CH3F fluorine is extremely electronegative in comparison to carbon. It's just something you learn. Elements in the same group as fluorine tend to be very electronegative. If it were just CH4 you wouldn't get this dipole-dipole intersection due to the lack of difference in electronegativity between hydrogen and carbon.

If you have a lone pair on your central atom and hydrogen atoms bonded to it then you will have hydrogen bonding. E.g H2O

Posted from TSR Mobile

So it's just something that'll 'click' eventually
Thank you!!!
Reply 4
Original post by holliiii
So it's just something that'll 'click' eventually
Thank you!!!

Yeah I think so. You're welcome

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest