The Student Room Group

Time to Grow my grades! Aiming for the top!

Hi

I'm currently in year 12 and doing my AS levels. I'm really in to my rugby and want a career in it somehow, preferably rugby journalism at Leicester Tigers. In my spare time I play badminton to try and keep my self fit, oh and of course go to the Leicester Tigers matches. I have been a season ticket holder there for 12 years.

Why am I doing this?
I feel like recently I have been procrastinating way to much and I think that shown though my mock results. I know I need to work harder and much more so hopefully this will supply a little bit of a goal to supply a little bit of go forward. And obviously, I can share some of my ideas with other to help other people because I like to help others out in any way possible.

What do I do now?
My main revision technique is to copy out the notes I have made in class and rewrite them at home into separate books for each teacher once I get home, but this is difficult to do because I take a BTEC which requires a lot of work all of the time but hopefully I can catch up in half term and weekends if theres not too much rugby on :wink: After this, I hope to answer practice questions from my books and notes and then mark it and see where I went wrong and look at it again. I'm planning to drop Physics this year, so in the run up to that exam I will try to make posters and cue cards from the notes to help me remember.

What do I take?
I take;
BTEC Sport (currently at Distinction)
Biology (Got an E in the mock exam)
English Language (got a B in the mock exam)
Physics (Got a U in the mock exam)
I think its obvious what I need to improve.

I also work as a Distributer for Betterware but this is difficult to mange with my school work and will try to put it on pause until the summer.

My recent grades I've received from teachers homeworks

English language = B (mock)

Biology = C (Standard homework 5)

Physics = U (mock)

Matt1306 Top tips and findings (kind of)
This is a section I'd like to keep up to help others. When I find something that works, I'll but it in a section like this and also add it to the first post.
1) Today, I found the watching rugby and making the class notes a helpful way of doing the class notes. Watching something I enjoy whilst doing it made it seem a lot quicker and wasn't as strenuous.
2) I find looking ahead to a particular goal (in this case half term) is a really good motivation method to get a big stack of work done, especially if that goal attains plenty of rest and sleep!

Key to blog
I will try and put out a plan for the day and then a review towards the end or the next morning.

Things in Blue will be to do with school work

Things in Red will be to do with spare time

Things in Yellow will be to do with Betterware (work)

Finally, I wish good luck to everyone on getting your grades you want.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by matt1306
Hi

I'm currently in year 11 and doing my AS levels. I'm really in to my rugby and want a career in it somehow, preferably rugby journalism at Leicester Tigers. In my spare time I play badminton to try and keep my self fit, oh and of course go to the Leicester Tigers matches. I have been a season ticket holder there for 12 years.

Why am I doing this?
I feel like recently I have been procrastinating way to much and I think that shown though my mock results. I know I need to work harder and much more so hopefully this will supply a little bit of a goal to supply a little bit of go forward. And obviously, I can share some of my ideas with other to help other people because I like to help others out in any way possible.

What do I do at the now?
My main revision technique is to copy out the notes I have made in class and rewrite them at home into separate books for each teacher once I get home, but this is difficult to do because I take a BTEC which requires a lot of work all of the time but hopefully I can catch up in half term and weekends if theres not too much rugby on :wink: After this, I hope to answer practice questions from my books and notes and then mark it and see where I went wrong and look at it again. I'm planning to drop Physics this year, so in the run up to that exam I will try to make posters and queue cards from the notes to help me remember.

What do I take?
I take;
BTEC Sport (currently at Distinction)
Biology (Got an E in the mock exam)
English Language (goFt a B in the mock exam)
Physics (Got a U in the mock exam)
I think its obvious what I need to improve.

I also work as a Distributer for Betterware but this is difficult to mange with my school work and will try to put it on pause until the summer.

Finally, I wish good luck to everyone on getting your grades you want.

You seem like a really determined and driven person! All the best with this, I hope you get the grades you deserve!
Reply 2
Today's Plan (Sunday 7th February 2016)

Complete Biology Standard homework (due Tuesday)

Do 1 of the 3 Physics Questions (due Wednesday)

Write up class notes for Biology (about 8-10 lessons worth)

Watch Exeter v Saracens on TV whilst doing 3

Watch Wales v Ireland on TV

Prepare 40 Betterware magazines to deliver tomorrow.

That's a lot but it is a Sunday. Maybe a bit to heavy on the Rugby side I dunno. I wanted to deliver 40 Betterware magazines but I just don't think I'll have the time so will try and do a few more tomorrow.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by James A
You seem like a really determined and driven person! All the best with this, I hope you get the grades you deserve!

That's very kind, Thank you :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
That's very kind, Thank you :smile:

I'll have to echo James. Good luck with this, I'm sure you'll get what you deserve if you keep this ethic up! :woo:
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
I'll have to echo James. Good luck with this, I'm sure you'll get what you deserve if you keep this ethic up! :woo:

Thank you :smile:
Reply 6
Today's Plan (Sunday 7th February 2016)

Complete Biology Standard homework (due Tuesday)

Do 1 of the 3 Physics Questions (due Wednesday)

Write up class notes for Biology (about 8-10 lessons worth)

Watch Exeter v Saracens on TV whilst doing 3

Watch Wales v Ireland on TV

Prepare 40 Betterware magazines to deliver tomorrow.

That's a lot but it is a Sunday. Maybe a bit to heavy on the Rugby side I dunno. I wanted to deliver 40 Betterware magazines but I just don't think I'll have the time so will try and do a few more tomorrow.

Review

Completed Biology standard homework this morning with limited difficulty

Almost completed the 3 physics questions so I beat my goal on that one

Biology notes were completed quickly and easily during the 2 rugby matches on the TV.

I didn't prepare the books however I did do something more important to do with work and I'm 2/3rds of the way to finishing that part which I need to do for Tuesday preferably.

Overall, it was a good day with most targets met and went over. I feel as if I could have done even more work such as writing up some physics class notes but I didnt which I'm annoyed at myself about but overall not too bad. Time to work harder this week as at the end there is a week off! Plus a Tigers match on the TV on the friday night! Lets not forget Pancake day on Tuesday, so plenty to aim for :biggrin:. Its also parents evening though but I'll get though. Predicted sleep time = 22:45, a little late.

Matt1306 Top tips (kind of)
This is a section I'd like to keep up to help others. When I find something that works, I'll but it in a section like this and also add it to the first post.

1) Today, I found the watching rugby and making the class notes a helpful way of doing the class notes. Watching something I enjoy whilst doing it made it seem a lot quicker and wasn't as strenuous.
Reply 7
Monday 8th February 2016 plans!

During my free at school I plan to check over my BTEC Sport task thats due on Wednesday to make sure it makes sense etc

Do any immediate homework if i get any during the day

Finish off the physics questions

Make some notes from lessons with my other biology teacher (she's been away for 2 weeks)

Go to badminton

Watch Rugby tonight

Deliver 40-80 betterware magazines

Deliver final customer order

A very busy day and will be difficult to manage but if I do it I'll tell you how! And hopefully that will be able to spur me on to complete it! Maybe I'll have to miss number 4 and save it until half term.
Reply 8

LOVE your determination, but you want to be confident that you took in at least some of the information you wrote up in your class notes whilst watching TV. Some people can work well with TV distraction and still manage to absorb plenty of information. Others not so much. Be sure this is a technique that is going to work for you :smile:

Also, as an ex-physics teacher, you will want to make sure you are doing plenty of practice papers in the run up to the exams. Its one of the most effective methods of revision I've found for my students. Do the questions open book first, and then see if you can move onto doing them without the books and notes.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Duckles
LOVE your determination, but you want to be confident that you took in at least some of the information you wrote up in your class notes whilst watching TV. Some people can work well with TV distraction and still manage to absorb plenty of information. Others not so much. Be sure this is a technique that is going to work for you :smile:

Also, as an ex-physics teacher, you will want to make sure you are doing plenty of practice papers in the run up to the exams. Its one of the most effective methods of revision I've found for my students. Do the questions open book first, and then see if you can move onto doing them without the books and notes.

I defiantly find that it helps me and sometimes I feel that I've missed parts of the TV show which makes me feel as if I'm doing plenty of work!

Thank you for that advice, I'll defiantly try and find some more past papers online and hopefully try and print them off. I like it when my teacher gives us a pack of questions that are all on one topic and basically are the same questions just different numbers/words so I'll ask for some of those too.
Reply 10
Monday 8th February 2016 plans!

During my free at school I plan to check over my BTEC Sport task thats due on Wednesday to make sure it makes sense etc

Do any immediate homework if i get any during the day

Finish off the physics questions

Make some notes from lessons with my other biology teacher (she's been away for 2 weeks)

Go to badminton

Watch Rugby tonight

Deliver 40-80 betterware magazines

A very busy day and will be difficult to manage but if I do it I'll tell you how! And hopefully that will be able to spur me on to complete it! Maybe I'll have to miss number 4 and save it until half term.

Didnt have a very productive free, had one where I felt like I can't be bothered to do anything. I really need to cut those out if I want to succeed. However I did deliver 40 magazines and do a physics past exam question which I got only 54% on. I'll be looking to try that again soon. Day was mostly loaded with Betterware work so will have to equal that out with lots of work tomorrow which should be possible as I finish at 12:10.
Reply 11
Tuesday 9th February 2016

To finish off my BTEC Sport unit 2 task 3 off which is due on Wednesday

Parents evening

Very little Betterware work tomorrow. Main aim is to do number 1, any other work will be a bonus. I have about 4 hours available tomorrow to work on it. Also, nothing in spare time to be done which balances it up after the last 2 days.
Didnt have a very productive free, had one where I felt like I can't be bothered to do anything. I really need to cut those out if I want to succeed. However I did deliver 40 magazines and do a physics past exam question which I got only 54% on. I'll be looking to try that again soon. Day was mostly loaded with Betterware work so will have to equal that out with lots of work tomorrow which should be possible as I finish at 12:10.

There will always be days that don't go so well. It's helpful to try and work out why this happened - sounds like you drive yourself pretty hard so do make sure you get some rest and exercise - great for recharging the batteries.

btw - love your colour coding!
Reply 13
Original post by The Learn Ranger
There will always be days that don't go so well. It's helpful to try and work out why this happened - sounds like you drive yourself pretty hard so do make sure you get some rest and exercise - great for recharging the batteries.

btw - love your colour coding!

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a good go!

And yeah, I thought it would make it easier for people to see/understand the balance. I'm glad you like it.
Reply 14
Tuesday 9th February 2016

To finish off my BTEC Sport unit 2 task 3 off which is due on Wednesday

Parents evening

Very little Betterware work tomorrow. Main aim is to do number 1, any other work will be a bonus. I have about 4 hours available tomorrow to work on it. Also, nothing in spare time to be done which balances it up after the last 2 days.

Ive almost finished off the task 3 for BTEC Sport, I just need to finish off a few bits and bobs which I should comfortably be able to do in my 2 hour section tomorrow. Parents evening went really well apart from physics. I got some tips on how to improve my grades, especially for biology and that was mostly to do with doing a few more past papers, I say a few, A LOT. I also completed my work task. Fairly good day but i do wish i did slightly more on my BTEC Sport.
Reply 15
Wednesday 10th February 2016 (already?!?)

Send off task 3 BTEC Sport

Start my English short essay (due Friday)

Try a few practice questions for biology acting on my teachers parents evening report.

Need to pick up 40 magazines and write up order forms

Will be a rather busy day tomorrow which I need to work hard in. I really must start doing the Biology exam practice but maybe I won't have time. Illl see. At least next week is half term so as long as my mind set is good I'll be able to recover. This leads me onto another one of those Matt1306 top tips (kind of) which I shall update sometime before the weekend in the top thread post.

2. I find looking ahead to a particular goal (in this case half term) is a really good motivation method to get a big stack of work done, especially if that goal attains plenty of rest and sleep!:u:
Reply 16
Wednesday 10th February 2016 (already?!?)

Send off task 3 BTEC Sport

Start my English short essay (due Friday)

Try a few practice questions for biology acting on my teachers parents evening report.

Need to pick up 40 magazines and write up order forms

Will be a rather busy day tomorrow which I need to work hard in. I really must start doing the Biology exam practice but maybe I won't have time. Illl see. At least next week is half term so as long as my mind set is good I'll be able to recover. This leads me onto another one of those Matt1306 top tips (kind of) which I shall update sometime before the weekend in the top thread post.

2. I find looking ahead to a particular goal (in this case half term) is a really good motivation method to get a big stack of work done, especially if that goal attains plenty of rest and sleep!:u:

BTEC Sport task was submitted without a problem. Feel like I should have done well, defiantly getting a merit, and possibly (and hopefully) a distinction which is really what I need. I didnt start my English essay however I do have it planned ready to do in a free tomorrow. I did a few exchange and transport questions in Biology and found it easy enough to get a least 65% of the marks and I wasnt far off the others which is positive signs. However exchange and transport (the module we are currently doing) I have found the easiest. I also picked up my Betterware magazines however I didnt receive any orders so that has put a slight downer on the day, will be interesting to see how my manager acts in the morning when I tell her.
Reply 17
Thursday 11th February 2016

In my free, I'll try and get my English essay pretty much finished, if not I shall finish it in the evening.

Tomorrow after school is physics revision session night so to improve my grade (much needed in physics) I shall be attending. This session is on work, power and energy which I do find rather confusing.

Dare I say it but when I get home I don't actually have that much homework to do so I see this as an opportunity to do some practice questions. I shall do physics from this weeks session (if I get any) or the physics ones I got from last weeks session on moments.

No work tomorrow, apart from bagging up ordered items

Rugby tonight extra is on at 7:30, I find this interesting and could use this as a break from a full days work if I feel I've earnt it.

Reply 18
Thursday 11th February 2016

In my free, I'll try and get my English essay pretty much finished, if not I shall finish it in the evening.

Tomorrow after school is physics revision session night so to improve my grade (much needed in physics) I shall be attending. This session is on work, power and energy which I do find rather confusing.

Dare I say it but when I get home I don't actually have that much homework to do so I see this as an opportunity to do some practice questions. I shall do physics from this weeks session (if I get any) or the physics ones I got from last weeks session on moments.

No work tomorrow, apart from bagging up ordered items

Rugby tonight extra is on at 7:30, I find this interesting and could use this as a break from a full days work if I feel I've earnt it.

Sorry I couldn't do this last night, it got pretty late and I was getting tired. The problem with yesterday was that I forgot to put my English essay into my bag so didnt take it school. This obviously meant that I couldnt do it at school. So in my free I answered 4 of the 6 questions on the pages that we covered in the lesson yesterday and I found pretty good. The revision session was really helpful, I think for starters it helps going because its a different teacher and you get to see things from a different angle which also helps. I got given some more practice questions so I shall have a crack with those soon. Obviously i spoke to early for number 3 because I had a lot of work to do, with an essay to start and finish and do 3 physics questions all whilst watching darts on tv. That'll teach me to be slightly more organised in the mornings when putting stuff in my bag!
Reply 19
Friday 12th February 2016

I have no frees today at school just 4 lessons in a row

If I can, I'll have a go at some physics questions when I get home and mark them

I have to go and do shopping for the family tonight so that will take up a fair chunk of time

Then Leicester Tigers are away tonight to Newcastle Falcons so I'll be watching that.

Not much work to be done tomorrow, and Ive decided to use it as a rest night. It'll probably make me feel guilty but I think I need it after last night and the whole week really. It will hopefully prepare me nicely for next week too. Have a good day guys :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest