The Student Room Group

My favourite university is my lowest offer, HELP!

Hi there,

About a month ago I received an offer from my preferred uni of choice. It turns out that they gave me an offer that was way below the AAB that I was expecting. The uni is one of the best for my course, but would I be wasting my firm choice on my lowest offer?
Wait, if they are one of the best and they gave you a reduced offer you are a very lucky man.

Entry requirements are not the way to pick your uni.

If you want some advice, what course have you applied for and what uni is it.
Original post by RohanK123
Hi there,

About a month ago I received an offer from my preferred uni of choice. It turns out that they gave me an offer that was way below the AAB that I was expecting. The uni is one of the best for my course, but would I be wasting my firm choice on my lowest offer?

In what way is this a problem? Obviously you should firm the place you want to go to and be grateful that the pressure is off. Don't look for problems that don't exist.
isn't that good? i don't understand why you're complaining; 99% of universities purposely inflate their entry requirements.
I believe the problem lies in choosing an insurance offer.
Original post by SeanFM

If it's lower than all the others and it's his favourite, it doesn't matter what he chooses for his insurance. He doesn't need one. If he bombs out of his lowest offer, then it'd be clearing anyway, unless one of the others had a remarkably generous acceptance policy. He should put his second favourite anyway. There is no point in putting somewhere you don't want to go, although that begs the question of why apply to such places in the first place, which people do at an extraordinary rate if you watch the Applications forum. (Not saying OP has, though.)
Hi there,

Just be grateful and firm it! I did this - they like you and want you to be a student there and the course is the one you want - it's a win, win.

Always firm the uni you want :smile:

They may also be willing to look at lower grades if you miss the offer - and there's always clearing.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If it's lower than all the others and it's his favourite, it doesn't matter what he chooses for his insurance. He doesn't need one. If he bombs out of his lowest offer, then it'd be clearing anyway, unless one of the others had a remarkably generous acceptance policy. He should put his second favourite anyway. There is no point in putting somewhere you don't want to go, although that begs the question of why apply to such places in the first place, which people do at an extraordinary rate if you watch the Applications forum. (Not saying OP has, though.)

You're right. But that was my guess as to what was causing the confusion but now I am not so sure. :getmecoat:

Hi there,

It seems that what you mean by that isn't clear. :redface:
Original post by SeanFM
You're right. But that was my guess as to what was causing the confusion but now I am not so sure. :getmecoat:

It seems that what you mean by that isn't clear. :redface:

It's all about the perception of 'prestige' on TSR, the idea that the higher the grades required, the 'better' the university is. OP has at least been sensible enough to look at the course and decide for himself what is best for him, but the snobbery of TSR is hard to shake off sometimes.
Reply 9
Original post by SeanFM

Yeah thats my problem! Apologies I should have worded this question better

See post number 6. :h:

It's all about the perception of 'prestige' on TSR, the idea that the higher the grades required, the 'better' the university is. OP has at least been sensible enough to look at the course and decide for himself what is best for him, but the snobbery of TSR is hard to shake off sometimes.

I can see why that is annoying. :redface:
Reply 11
Original post by whydoidothis?
Wait, if they are one of the best and they gave you a reduced offer you are a very lucky man.

Entry requirements are not the way to pick your uni.

If you want some advice, what course have you applied for and what uni is it.

English Lit at Southampton Uni.

My real issue is choosing an insurance. If I put Southampton (BBB) as my firm, my insurance will be ABB or AAB

You wont have an insurance offer but if you put another higher offer as firm and this as your insurance you would lose the chance to your favourite choice. I think you should take CLR's advice and go to your favoured uni and rely on clearing if you do not meet your grades. otherwise you would end up going somewhere you don't really want to if you achieve the required results.
Reply 13

My real issue is choosing an insurance. If I put Southampton (BBB) as my firm, my insurance will be ABB or AAB

What's wrong with that? You won't be going to your insurance anyway.

Do as CLR says. You should go where you want to. If you were to put this as your insurance and put a higher offer as your firm you would end up going to the uni you don't want to should you achieve your grades. Putting your favoured choice as your main would leave you without an insurance choice and you would have to apply through clearing if you miss your grades. Even if you put your favoured choice as an insurance you would still end up in clearing s CLR's advice is your correct course of action

Contrary to what appears to be suggested you can and should have an insurance.

Let's say you firm Southampton at BBB and insure an ABB uni. On results day you achieve AAC or even A*A*C which means you have failed to meet your offer. Southampton are unfortunately full up with students who fulfilled all their conditions and regretfully reject you. Your insurance, however, has spaces and are delighted to accept you despite your C.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot
Contrary to what appears to be suggested you can and should have an insurance.

Let's say you firm Southampton at BBB and insure an ABB uni. On results day you achieve AAC or even A*A*C which means you have failed to meet your offer. Southampton are unfortunately full up with students who fulfilled all their conditions and regretfully reject you. Your insurance, however, has spaces and are delighted to accept you despite your C.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, that is true, albeit unlikely. His insurance should be his second choice regardless of what the offer is.
Yes, that is true, albeit unlikely. His insurance should be his second choice regardless of what the offer is.

Agreed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I'm glad I found this. I'm having a sort of similar issue. The uni that I really want to go to is my lowest entry requirements, tied with one other (that I've never actually been to before... :P ) so I'm struggling to think about what might be my insurance... :P
I think I read somewhere that an insurance university is not compulsory, but if you feel better having one, then you might as well put your second favourite down as your insurance. If you are confident that your favourite university is definitely the one with the lowest grade requirements, then DEFINITELY use this as your firm. Your favourite = your firm.

Be grateful for the low offer, it helps take pressure off you. But, you still have to attain those grades, ideally better though. So, well done!

Quick Reply

Latest