The Student Room Group

Binomial expansion help please

Given that the expansion (1+ax)^n begins with 1+36x+576x^2 find the values of a and n
Reply 1
Original post by osayuki
Given that the expansion (1+ax)^n begins with 1+36x+576x^2 find the values of a and n

Can you expand (1+ax)n(1+ax)^n in terms of aa and nn?

It starts (1+ax)n=1+nax+...(1+ax)^n = 1 + nax + ...

Then compare the coefficients.

E.g. the second term in the expansion is 36x36x so na=36na = 36.

Does that make sense?
Reply 2
Original post by notnek
Can you expand (1+ax)n(1+ax)^n in terms of aa and nn?

It starts (1+ax)n=1+nax+...(1+ax)^n = 1 + nax + ...

Then compare the coefficients.

E.g. the second term in the expansion is 36x36x so na=36na = 36.

Does that make sense?

Thank you for replying. I'm unsure how to get nax as I couldn't figure out how to cancel n!/(n-1!)1!
Original post by osayuki
Thank you for replying. I'm unsure how to get nax as I couldn't figure out how to cancel n!/(n-1!)1!

n!(n1)! \frac{n!}{(n-1)!} (We can "ignore" the 1! since it just equals 1)

Remembering what factorial actually means and writing n! and (n-1)! out fully we get;

n×(n1)×(n2)×...×3×2×1(n1)×(n2)×...×3×2×1 \frac{n \times (n-1) \times (n-2) \times ... \times 3 \times 2 \times 1}{(n-1) \times (n-2) \times ... \times 3 \times 2 \times 1}

Cancelling terms which occur on both lines are left with;

n n
Reply 4
Original post by DylanJ42
n!(n1)! \frac{n!}{(n-1)!} (We can "ignore" the 1! since it just equals 1)

Remembering what factorial actually means and writing n! and (n-1)! out fully we get;

n×(n1)×(n2)×...×3×2×1(n1)×(n2)×...×3×2×1 \frac{n \times (n-1) \times (n-2) \times ... \times 3 \times 2 \times 1}{(n-1) \times (n-2) \times ... \times 3 \times 2 \times 1}

Cancelling terms which occur on both lines are left with;

n n

Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by osayuki

It will make your life easier if you remember the pattern of the coefficients so you don't have to derive each one.

E.g. for the simple expansion (1+x)^n, the second term coefficient is 'n', the third is n(n-1)/2!, the fourth is n(n-1)(n-2)/3! etc.

This may be on your formula book.
Reply 6
[QUOTE=notnek;62561237]It will make your life easier if you remember the pattern of the coefficients so you don't have to derive each one.

E.g. for the simple expansion (1+x)^n, the second term coefficient is 'n', the third is n(n-1)/2!, the fourth is n(n-1)(n-2)/3! etc.

This may be on your formula book.
Thank you again for your help

Quick Reply

Latest