The Student Room Group

How conservative(religious wise)was your upbringing?

How religious was/is your family, and how strict did they raise you?

Mine is probably a mixture. My mum's a devout Christian, and I was raised going to church every Sunday, praying etc.. but she's not super strict with me in terms of what I wear,going out with friends, and other things like that.

Curious about other experiences :smile:

Scroll to see replies

My mum is pretty Christian so I went to Church every Sunday when I was younger, but as soon as I reached my teens my mum would ask me if I wanted to go and if I said "No" she wouldn't get mad :smile:
Yeah I was raised in a very religious household with nice conservative values. I wouldn't say that my parents are really strict (they don't beat me or anything like that) but they are very protective- for example, I need to tell them if I am going to a friend's house and they would ask me questions about if he is from a good family and whether his parents have any criminal records or drink alcohol and stuff like that, just to keep me safe, which I appreciate very much.
My upbringing was strongly anti religion, but my parents were still strict
Neither of my parents were religious.

I did go to a CoE boarding school meaning till the age of 13 I went to chapel every morning (Mon-Sun) but they weren't actually that religious either, it was more a tradition and assembly with some hymns.

Then at secondary school we had a service in the cathedral once a month but that wasn't particularly religious either.
My mum (and dad before he passed) wasnt strict at all, didnt christen me or anything like that, we celebrated christmas but mum wasnt bothered at all when I became an atheist.
Reply 6
I was brought up in an Islamic upbringing. After my mum and dad split when I was ten my mum went less strict on me. My grandma and granddad are Hindu so my parents didn't adopt it from them.
Mine upbringing wasn't very religious, my dad is atheist and my mum is agnostic, so religion didn't feature much at home. However, I went to a religious primary school where I developed belief in God, but I started to question my belief in high school (which was also a religious school) and was atheist by the time I finished year 11.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
How religious was/is your family, and how strict did they raise you?

Mine is probably a mixture. My mum's a devout Christian, and I was raised going to church every Sunday, praying etc.. but she's not super strict with me in terms of what I wear,going out with friends, and other things like that.

Curious about other experiences :smile:

The central fact of my dad's life was to quit the Seventh Day Adventist Church, the only one of his family to do so. He brought me up completely without religion, as we discussed the blatant hypocrisies of his family with a mixture of pity, disdain, and guilt.

I am still an atheist, but I have come to respect religion more, that is, when it is employed as a spiritual calling to change one's life and that of others for the better.
Let's say the only time I could meet with friends was during school
My family are all atheists so religion never played any part in my upbringing. My papa comes from a very strong Protestant background but he didn't follow it himself. My family were and still are very easy going and liberal. They weren't strict at all with me.

I was never baptised or anything and we still celebrated Christmas but it had nothing to do with religion in our house. It was more for tradition than anything and still is to this day.
(edited 8 years ago)
Strict, strict indeed. I think it's common for Asians to be 'forced' into continuing to follow religion. Personally, I love my religion. The only thing that bugs me is culture rules and regulations, which doesn't directly link to the religion itself. e.g. Not being allowed to date anyone who doesn't believe in, and doesn't follow your culture.
Reply 12
Both of my parents come from a strong Catholic background but since they moved away from home at a very young age they became less religious. So I wasn't brought up religiously. But when I learnt in nursery about religion I was the one interested in finding out more, reading bibles etc and my parents were fine with it. I always made them go to church with me too lol.
But I was young&silly. :rolleyes: I'm an Atheist now
Quite a religious upbringing. Typical overprotective parents albeit with good intentions. Certain rules we had to follow used to annoy me as a child but as I grew older I could appreciate what they did and how it sort of developed me as a person.

In terms of how religious I am now, although I do lack in some respects, overall I think I am quite religious.
My family was not religious at all, but I was born/grew up in Israel, where Torah reading was mandatory in school and I was fiercly religious (though I didn't go synagoge or wear a kippa or anything like that) but only out of patriotism. So I don't know.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
My mum's a devout Christian (brought up in the 60s in southern Spain which was quite religious then) and while she holds an odd mixture of conservative and liberal beliefs, my upbringing was relatively liberal. We would go to church every Sunday, but religion was never really discussed during the rest of the week. Now, neither my father, my 4 siblings, nor I are religious.

I always thought you were an ex-muslim for some reason :K:
Original post by Zargabaath
I always thought you were an ex-muslim for some reason :K:

Lol no :lol:
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Lol no :lol:

loool i don't even know where I got that idea from :rofl:
Very. Parents were strong Christians. Sunday school, religious school, prayers before bed, etc. Marriage fell apart due to adultery and both parents quickly abandoned their Christianity. Their passive-agressivd bigotry and judgemental attitudes soon followed, although my mother has never got over her homophobia.
My parents are devout Muslims and I attended mosque regularly as a kid, Now I don't attend mosque nor am I religious, though I do believe in the fundamental teachings of Islam though. I wear the hijab and that's about it; I don't really class wearing a hijab as conservative though, I really like wearing it and it's stuck with me for so long I consider it normal:h: I'm quite liberal in my lifestyle and beliefs.

Quick Reply

Latest