The Student Room Group

How to get better at group theory questions? FP3

A few weeks ago we finished learning Groups for FP3, and I felt like i never really 'got it'.

It seems like the first topic i've come across where the past paper questions vary lots, so you can't get better by just completing questions.

I feel like i'm lacking a full understanding of the topic and don't know where to look for help. I always get stuck on every question because they're so long, in total 24 marks split into 6-8 parts.

I'm considering teaching myself one of the other topics (either multivariable calculus and differential geometry). Or I could just teach myself M3 and completely ditch FP3, but I'd feel like i've wasted my time because we've already learned Markov Chains and have just started Vector Geometry. After we've finished Vectors I will have finished learning all the modules for all of my exams so I will have a lot of time to either revise or teach myself something else...

Maybe I'm just not pushing myself enough with the questions, giving in too soon and looking at the mark scheme. Will I genuinely improve by forcing myself to stare at a question until I figure it out? Any advice is appreciated :frown:
Reply 1
Have you got the FP3 book?
MEI?

Quick Reply

Latest