The Student Room Group

Top 10 university computer science with Btec alongside A level?

So I'm aware that some of the top universities do accept a BTEC level 3 extended diploma in IT if you do maths A level alongside for Computer Science at undergraduate. Just wanted to know if anyone has been successful in getting a place a top uni through this route?
Reply 1
Inc. A level Maths:

Oxford: DDD+A*
Durham: DDD+A
Bristol: DDD+A
Southampton: DDM+A
Manchester (cant remember)
Sheffield: DDM+B

Without A level Maths:

Bath: D*D*D* or D*DD+A(AS level)
Surrey: DDD
Cardiff: D*D*D*
Queen Mary: D*DD
Kings College London: DDD
Leeds: D*DD
Royal Holloway:biggrin:DD
Nottingham: DDD
Liverpool: D*DD

For IT degrees (not CS):
UCL: DDD
Southampton: DDD
Manchester: D*DD

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks 😊
Original post by yt7777
Inc. A level Maths:

Without A level Maths:

For IT degrees (not CS):

Oxford???!!!!!:facepalm::teehee:
Reply 4
Original post by epic within
Oxford???!!!!!:facepalm::teehee:

"For students taking the BTEC National Extended Diploma in IT, a conditional offer will normally be: DDD in the Extended Diploma and A* in A Level in Maths."

https://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/why_oxford/standard_conditional_offers.html#Vocational_qualifications:_eg_BTEC_National_Diploma
Original post by yt7777
"For students taking the BTEC National Extended Diploma in IT, a conditional offer will normally be: DDD in the Extended Diploma and A* in A Level in Maths."

https://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/why_oxford/standard_conditional_offers.html#Vocational_qualifications:_eg_BTEC_National_Diploma

And how many students got into Oxford with just 3Ds and a* in maths.
Reply 6

Not a clue, but I doubt many have applied
Original post by yt7777
Not a clue, but I doubt many have applied

I wonder why
Reply 8
I wonder why

Because of the uncalled for stigma attached to BTEC qualifications someone who would be predicted an A* in Maths would usually be pushed towards a traditional educational route

However, my friend from my old BTEC class got an A* in Maths A level as well as D*D*D* in the BTEC, he didnt apply to Oxford though, I'm still unsure why he didnt
Reply 9
Which uni did he end up going?
Reply 10
Original post by Axlerod
Which uni did he end up going?

Southampton
Original post by yt7777
Southampton

I thought you went to Royal Holloway
Reply 12
I thought you went to Royal Holloway

I do

he was asking about my friend

I'm afraid none has yes succeeded in getting into Oxford for Computer Science by that route. We would accept a candidate with a BTEC (plus A* in Maths A Level) if he/she is good enough. But our strong impression is that A Levels give a better preparation for academic study.

Gavin
Reply 14
Original post by yt7777
Inc. A level Maths:

Without A level Maths:

For IT degrees (not CS):

I'm set on going KCL however their Btec entry requirements involves getting distinctions in units in the 2010 IT Btec however I'll be doing the new 2016 computing Btec which has exams and coursework and different units. Will KCL still accept this?
Reply 15
I am currently on second year of my BTEC IT (L3 Extended) and alongside doing my A2 in Maths. I am predicting D*D*D* and A* respectively and have already received answers from some of the universities I applied to (for Computer Science):

Oxford: Offered interview in December and got rejected last month
Warwick: Conditional offer - D*D*D* + A in Maths
Durham: Conditional offer - DDD + A in Maths
Southampton: DD (i.e. DDM) + A in Maths
Bristol: Still waiting

Oxford does put more emphasis on A-Levels, but it's not impossible to get accepted with different qualifications. Don't forget that the acceptance rate for Computer Science there is ~ 9% regardless of qualifications chosen. I am now marking Warwick as my firm; meaning that the nature of your qualifications doesn't really matter, but it's your accomplishments as an academic student that count the most.
Reply 16
Original post by patasj
I am currently on second year of my BTEC IT (L3 Extended) and alongside doing my A2 in Maths. I am predicting D*D*D* and A* respectively and have already received answers from some of the universities I applied to (for Computer Science):

Oxford: Offered interview in December and got rejected last month
Warwick: Conditional offer - D*D*D* + A in Maths
Durham: Conditional offer - DDD + A in Maths
Southampton: DD (i.e. DDM) + A in Maths
Bristol: Still waiting

Oxford does put more emphasis on A-Levels, but it's not impossible to get accepted with different qualifications. Don't forget that the acceptance rate for Computer Science there is ~ 9% regardless of qualifications chosen. I am now marking Warwick as my firm; meaning that the nature of your qualifications doesn't really matter, but it's your accomplishments as an academic student that count the most.

What did you write in your personal statement if you don't mind me asking? And would it matter now that btecs for it will be changing to Btec computing with 40% being exams and different units? Mainly asking for KCL since their Btec requirements are specific in which units they want distinctions in whereas places like Warwick and Durham just ask for a relevant Btec and maths a level alongside.
Reply 17
Original post by Axlerod
What did you write in your personal statement if you don't mind me asking? And would it matter now that btecs for it will be changing to Btec computing with 40% being exams and different units? Mainly asking for KCL since their Btec requirements are specific in which units they want distinctions in whereas places like Warwick and Durham just ask for a relevant Btec and maths a level alongside.

Write about your passion in computers and maths, but without clichés. Any work experience can be useful too.
KCL will still accept btecs but i don't know to what grades because of the new system that gets introduced
Reply 18
Hi mate, I'm coming back to this post, I wanted to ask what did you write in your personal statement. And how did you achieve that maths grade, what preparation did you do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending