The Student Room Group

University making me anxious and depressed, help??

So I'm midway through my second year at uni. Ever since starting uni I've felt a little bit on edge and sometimes tearful.. but now I've been balling my eyes out in my room almost everyday. I can't always find a reason as to why I cry.. but today received the grade for my 1st term and I got a third.. and i've been crying like there's no tomorrow because I tried so hard and worked so much harder than I did in my first year (where I got a 2:1).. I'm studying an art degree so the work is all coursework, and I feel like blaming it on the different tutors for this year.. who seem to be much harsher than the 1st year tutors. But since I worked so hard and got a crappy mark it's so disheartening, especially since I have low self esteem and always need a bit of a confidence boost or a pat on the back.. :frown: Any tips or advice on how I can see the positives etc?
Original post by dreamr94
So I'm midway through my second year at uni. Ever since starting uni I've felt a little bit on edge and sometimes tearful.. but now I've been balling my eyes out in my room almost everyday. I can't always find a reason as to why I cry.. but today received the grade for my 1st term and I got a third.. and i've been crying like there's no tomorrow because I tried so hard and worked so much harder than I did in my first year (where I got a 2:1).. I'm studying an art degree so the work is all coursework, and I feel like blaming it on the different tutors for this year.. who seem to be much harsher than the 1st year tutors. But since I worked so hard and got a crappy mark it's so disheartening, especially since I have low self esteem and always need a bit of a confidence boost or a pat on the back.. :frown: Any tips or advice on how I can see the positives etc?

Im in my first year on a design course and just got my first grade back. Last year i got full marks in everything so this year when i got 60/100 i was pissed off- but apparantly thats a great mark. So hopefully next year it will be 70, then 80. Talk to your tutors about youre esteem. Art degrees are always harder than law or maths or literature because there is to right or wrong, you cant learnt it- its there or its not.
Don't get disheartened! Don't let one bad semester get you down, all you can do is pick yourself back up and dust yourself off ready for the next one, a fresh start, and come back with a vengeance! If you need to clear your head first, have a chat with friends or with university counsellors, get outside or do something you really enjoy, then get back in the saddle. If you've done well in semesters before you can do it again. Hang in there, you're doing great! :hugs:
Original post by dreamr94

A lot of universities ramp up the marking requirements in second year because at that point the marks start contributing to your overall degree mark. So they use the same marking criteria for your work in semester 1 of year 2 as they'll use for your final projects/dissertation. It can be a real kick in the teeth but it's very common.

Arrange to speak to your tutor or someone you like on the teaching staff and see if you can get them to help understand what you need to improve on in order to get your grades back to where you want them. It could be that you were working really hard on something that isn't as important when it comes to marking and neglected or overlooked something important.

At the same time speak to student services or your counselling services - they're there to help you and give you an outlet and a space to cry and work things out emotionally. University can be tough but it isn't something you have to battle through alone. It might be worth speaking to your GP as well.

One of the toughest things to learn at university is that help wont be dropped in your lap - you have to go out and find it....but when you do it will be there. It's a really useful skill to work on to be able to find and ask for help and support.

Quick Reply

Latest