The Student Room Group

Tom's boring mathy blog

Hello, my name is Thomas or as some people call me Tom. I don't mind either way :u:
So, being straight to the point, I am in year 12 and doing 5 AS this year; EPQ, Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Government and Politics.
My aim is 5 A's, maybe a cheeky A* from EPQ though.
My mock results are so far on track, nothing shocking at least!
In maths I am getting my A's and a B or few. Not worried about that though, teachers are great!
Economics seems like a lot to learn in terms of content but I do enjoy it. Got a NZ teacher so that's cool.
Further Maths is the subject I slack in. I'm taking it chill really, but hopefully I will catch up on doing homework exercises. Teacher recommends we do the review exercises too, but like soooo many questions!
Politics is meh, I like it and it's "nice" but I don't like the way I am graded. I get the highest in my class, yet the highest is a B, so it doesn't feel like I'm doing as well as I'd like. Luckily my teacher predicts I'll do well in the summer, but we shall see.
EPQ is soooo lame, and uncool. Anyone else who does it would probably agree with me on that statement :biggrin: either way I am doing a written essay of 5k words. Done about 3.5k but need to refine it. Still a long way to go here, although I have completed my survey and interview already. Got about 3 weeks or something to finish the essay.

Anyways, right now I am catching up on the homework which I didn't do on Friday or Saturday, so that's my Sunday gone.

Interesting things about this week...
M1 test on tuesday- chapters 1-5 (noting I haven't done much of 4 or 5 :c)
S1 test on probablitiy- chapters 5, 8 and 9.(struggled a little on 9 confused myself with working out means and std. deviations when given a probabilty given that my z is a negative)
But yeah that's it.
Tom out for today :tongue:
Mm, maths blog. So hot.

:tong:

Can you get an A* in EPQ? Isn't it AS level qualification?
Reply 2
Original post by hezzlington
Mm, maths blog. So hot.

:tong:

Can you get an A* in EPQ? Isn't it AS level qualification?

Lol. Mathaholics rejoice!!!

Yes you can get an A* in EPQ.
Not sure actually if it is or isn't an AS. I believe it is worth the equivalent of an AS but it's something else... So ya
Reply 3
Monday: kinds chill, except had a stats booster. Teacher fears we may run out of time in s2. Just finished Poisson.

Tuesday: Bit scary since i had a m1 test afterschool. 5 questions, think i got 4 fully correct but 1 fully wrong (was on moments which confused me) hopefully still get an A

Today: Had epq which was the hype of the day. Teachers just checking.. apparantly we should have our essay done in the half term, so I am half way done. Not sure if that's good or bad yet! Also did some mechanics, vector stuff. Fun!!! Was algebra so was kinda ez and felt a bit like ch.1 of fp1.
Tomorrow got a stats test on s1 and s2 so.. ima revise
Hello! Your blog looks great! :woo:

What's your EPQ on? Sorry to hear you're nor really enjoying it, but as I understand it they look good on Uni applications and stuff, always nice to have an extra string to your bow :h:
Reply 5
Original post by Tank Girl
Hello! Your blog looks great! :woo:

What's your EPQ on? Sorry to hear you're nor really enjoying it, but as I understand it they look good on Uni applications and stuff, always nice to have an extra string to your bow :h:

Hi, nice to see you've taken the time to read my blog :smile:
My epq is on India and China; " will India overtake China in economic growth". Bit dull to most people but it really links in with economics and a bit of politics. Funny thing is allegedly India did attain a higher gdp growth percentage than China in 2015, only saw the results about a week ago but tabloids are saying it might have been because India have been doing some shady regulation changes to artificially increase their gdp, by measuring it in a different way.
Kinda like the conservatives and the shady stuff they do back here to obtain lower unemployment levels :biggrin:
maths ftw

:borat:
Original post by pereira325
Hi, nice to see you've taken the time to read my blog :smile:
My epq is on India and China; " will India overtake China in economic growth". Bit dull to most people but it really links in with economics and a bit of politics. Funny thing is allegedly India did attain a higher gdp growth percentage than China in 2015, only saw the results about a week ago but tabloids are saying it might have been because India have been doing some shady regulation changes to artificially increase their gdp, by measuring it in a different way.
Kinda like the conservatives and the shady stuff they do back here to obtain lower unemployment levels :biggrin:
Being an Indian, that sounds rather interesting! :biggrin:
And what universities are you thinking of applying to?

Quick Reply

Latest