The Student Room Group

I never seem to do work...

If I don't do any work from now on, it's inevitable I will attain bad grades.

What revision are you doing?
Original post by Jamie Vardy

Well, because my school deems it best to give us homework for pretty much every subject, I haven't been able to start revising fully, nor have my friends. I am planning on starting in the February half term holiday. Don't worry; many people are in the same situation as you.

Motivation is key, though. Take your work and revision week by week; do not base it off the exam dates.

What are your predicted grades?

Currently I'm revising TSR
jk Chemistry C1 for a mock

None at the moment.
But I need to revise my sciences and english because I'm hopeless at them :biggrin:
Reply 4
"One must know that if one does not study, they will get banged." - Jamie Vardy
Reply 5
Original post by KirstyBishop
Well, because my school deems it best to give us homework for pretty much every subject, I haven't been able to start revising fully, nor have my friends. I am planning on starting in the February half term holiday. Don't worry; many people are in the same situation as you.

Motivation is key, though. Take your work and revision week by week; do not base it off the exam dates.

What are your predicted grades?

Thank you for reassuring me. My predicted grades are: 3As, 4Bs and 2Cs.

However, what I am also concerned about is the potential difficulty of this year's GCSEs; the content that came up on the mock examinations (derived from the 2015 papers) seemed quite simplistic because only knowledge of key concepts were required, particularly in Chemistry - which I'm looking to do at A-level.

The simplicity became apparent at the question:
2 Limestone is used to make many different materials.
2 (a) Heating limestone produces calcium oxide and carbon dioxide.Complete the sentences.

2 (a) (i) The main compound in limestone is calcium .................................................................. .[1 mark]
2 (a) (ii) The reaction to produce calcium oxide from limestone is thermal .................................. .[1 mark]
2 (a) (iii) Calcium hydroxide is produced when calcium oxide reacts with .................................... .[1 mark]
2 (a) (iv) Calcium hydroxide is used to neutralise acids because it is an ...................................... .[1 mark]

I attained an A (4 marks of an A*) - 46/60.
Thank you for reassuring me. My predicted grades are: 3As, 4Bs and 2Cs.

However, what I am also concerned about is the potential difficulty of this year's GCSEs; the content that came up on the mock examinations (derived from the 2015 papers) seemed quite simplistic because only knowledge of key concepts were required, particularly in Chemistry - which I'm looking to do at A-level.

The simplicity became apparent at the question:
2 Limestone is used to make many different materials.
2 (a) Heating limestone produces calcium oxide and carbon dioxide.Complete the sentences.

2 (a) (i) The main compound in limestone is calcium .................................................................. .[1 mark]
2 (a) (ii) The reaction to produce calcium oxide from limestone is thermal .................................. .[1 mark]
2 (a) (iii) Calcium hydroxide is produced when calcium oxide reacts with .................................... .[1 mark]
2 (a) (iv) Calcium hydroxide is used to neutralise acids because it is an ...................................... .[1 mark]

I attained an A (4 marks of an A*) - 46/60.

Congrats on achieving an A!
I actually took my science unit 1 GCSE's last year and I do remember this question; I was surprised at its simplicity as well.

According to my history teacher, the 2015 history paper was extremely difficult, and is expected to be quite hard this year. It was also said that they have increased the difficulty of exams to prepare students for the content change in the years after us.

However, the exam boards have to change the grade boundaries if, nationally, students do quite badly.
Reply 7
Congrats on achieving an A!
I actually took my science unit 1 GCSE's last year and I do remember this question; I was surprised at its simplicity as well.

According to my history teacher, the 2015 history paper was extremely difficult, and is expected to be quite hard this year. It was also said that they have increased the difficulty of exams to prepare students for the content change in the years after us.

However, the exam boards have to change the grade boundaries if, nationally, students do quite badly.

You're right about the grade boundaries. I'm just going to prepare for the worst.

I did the 2015 History papers as a mock and the grade boundaries for each grade had increased by 3-5 marks. Especially with AQA, they are becoming stricter in their marking and procedures.
Reply 9
Guys, we can get through this. Don't worry. I'm restarting revision on Monday
Original post by 0lut0
Guys, we can get through this. Don't worry. I'm restarting revision on Monday

What have you done so far? Come on PM.
Reply 11
I'm doing triple science and my class is on the last module for each now, so I'm revising that as we go along. I know core science pretty well and need to focus mainly on additional.:redface:
I don't find maths too hard and usually get As, but I want an A* so I need to revise that more.
I find English literature pretty difficult but I somehow got an A on it in my mocks, which I still can't believe lol:awesome:. I don't find English Language too hard and I've done pretty well in the controlled assessments for it,so I'm not too worried about that.:u:
I do graphics, which is mainly (I think 60%) coursework which I find easy, but I feel like I'm going to mess up the exam :dunce:
For German, I'm doing pretty good for the exams but I seriously messed up my writing controlled assessments that I did when I was in year 10 and didn't care much for the subject:argh:
We've just had mocks, so I'd say I've been revising for the past 2 months or so. In 2 weeks I did all of my mock revision, and came back with mostly A*s. I was in the same position as you - thinking it's too late. Luckily, it isn't! It's all about being motivated to do well, and it depends on how well you're able to learn and what grades you want to come out with at the end :smile: You get out what you put in!

Nevertheless, I'm currently revising English Literature. English is a mess at our school: we've only just touched upon the language exam, and we've only done 5 / 15 of the conflict poetry section, and we also haven't revised Of Mice and Men for over a year now. Due to this, I've had to do most of the work myself, so this weekend I've been annotating the poems on big A3 sheets. I've found this is a good way for me.

I'm also trying to get all of my art finished - but that's one of my last priorities as it isn't an academic subject.

Regarding this years exams, I don't think you should be worried. Although, inevitably, they're going to be harder, this will, as many people have previously said, be reflected in the grade boundaries. Personally, I like a challenging exam. Chemistry is a concern for me too, as 50 / 60 seemed like an incredibly high boundary for last year and, inevitably, this years exam will be harder. But it's also worth nothing that a lot of exams were hard the C3 for example was an incredibly low A* boundary (40 / 60), due to the exam being so hard. Don't be worried! I believe that if you work hard enough, you will get what you want :smile:

Best of luck in your GCSEs!
What you need to do:
1) Unplug that damn PS4 and leave it unplugged until after GCSE
2) Revise in another room from your computer and phone

Done.
(edited 8 years ago)
Also stop procrastinating on TSR
You do NOT need to revise for GCSEs from now....not until a month before at most. I revised for most exams the week before and I achieved many A*s and As. Same with the majority of people I know. Dont overestimate GCSEs, stressing over some exams that literally wont affect your future at all is pointless. A-levels however are a whole different story.
Original post by Daniel9998
You do NOT need to revise for GCSEs from now....not until a month before at most. I revised for most exams the week before and I achieved many A*s and As. Same with the majority of people I know. Dont overestimate GCSEs, stressing over some exams that literally wont affect your future at all is pointless. A-levels however are a whole different story.

You might be genuinely clever though, so you might not have needed to revise so early on but other people might not be like that.
Original post by hxfsxh
You might be genuinely clever though, so you might not have needed to revise so early on but other people might not be like that.

I disagree, I managed to mess up completely in my first year of A-levels after doing so well in GCSEs, from A*s to Ds. GCSEs are not very important. As long as you get a B in maths and a B in English you can be whatever you want to be. My friend went on to study Chemical Engineering at Imperial College with A*A*AA at A-level and I am pretty sure he only got Bs and Cs at GCSE.
Im not saying dont revise, obviously its nice to achieve some nice grades at the end of the year but just dont stress over it :smile:
Original post by hxfsxh
I did the 2015 History papers as a mock and the grade boundaries for each grade had increased by 3-5 marks. Especially with AQA, they are becoming stricter in their marking and procedures.

If you don't mind, what were the questions in the History mock (if you did AQA History B)?

Quick Reply

Latest