The Student Room Group

Gcse Tips

A-level students what are some studying tips would you give me?
How do you guys revise?
How long do you revise for?

Thanks,

Scroll to see replies

For gcses? Just make sure you know all the content (use notes, flashcards or whatever works for you) and then do as many past papers as you can since questions are often repeated and if they are (or are changed slightly) than its free marks.
Original post by 11lmizo
A-level students what are some studying tips would you give me?
How do you guys revise?
How long do you revise for?

Thanks,

Don't over do it! Do a little bit and build up. I made a revision timetable with pretty colours and tried to stick to it. CGP revision guides for science were my best friend and past papers were the most useful thing. I used different things for each subject so I didn't get bored and just did a little bit ever night from about Easter. I used different colours and made every thing look pretty so I wanter to look at it. Just find what works for you, everyone is different. Good luck!! You will get through it in the end. Before you know it it will be summer.
Any other questions feel free to ask. I'm in year 12 and I got 11A* and an A an GCSE and I'm not doing chemistry biology maths and French at AS
Original post by samb1234
For gcses? Just make sure you know all the content (use notes, flashcards or whatever works for you) and then do as many past papers as you can since questions are often repeated and if they are (or are changed slightly) than its free marks.

Thanks for the advice, btw since your doing your A-levels now do you like revise more or do you do the same amount as Gcse?
Original post by aspoonfulofsoph1
Don't over do it! Do a little bit and build up. I made a revision timetable with pretty colours and tried to stick to it. CGP revision guides for science were my best friend and past papers were the most useful thing. I used different things for each subject so I didn't get bored and just did a little bit ever night from about Easter. I used different colours and made every thing look pretty so I wanter to look at it. Just find what works for you, everyone is different. Good luck!! You will get through it in the end. Before you know it it will be summer.
Any other questions feel free to ask. I'm in year 12 and I got 11A* and an A an GCSE and I'm not doing chemistry biology maths and French at AS

Thank you so much for the advice, appreciate it. And wow that is amazing, great job! Are A-levels much harder than Gcse's? And how long do you revise for?
Original post by 11lmizo
Thank you so much for the advice, appreciate it. And wow that is amazing, great job! Are A-levels much harder than Gcse's? And how long do you revise for?

A levels are much more work. But, you do enjoy the subjects more so it's nicer and you have more freedom. It's a lot more self regulated but so soo much work and in much for depth
Original post by aspoonfulofsoph1
A levels are much more work. But, you do enjoy the subjects more so it's nicer and you have more freedom. It's a lot more self regulated but so soo much work and in much for depth

Thanks you so much!
Original post by 11lmizo
Thanks for the advice, btw since your doing your A-levels now do you like revise more or do you do the same amount as Gcse?

Yeah im doing a2 this year a levels are a lot more work than gcses definitely. For quite a few of my gcse exams i revised pretty much the night before whereas I had to do a lot more work last year to get the results i wanted
Yeah im doing a2 this year a levels are a lot more work than gcses definitely. For quite a few of my gcse exams i revised pretty much the night before whereas I had to do a lot more work last year to get the results i wanted

I thought it would be equal, because you know for Gcse's you have about 7 subjects and for a-levels its less. I guess that's not the case lol.
Just let the gas out, because it helps a lot trust me! And eat a lot of chocolate helps sooth nerves & most importantly watch anime!

Spoiler

Original post by 11lmizo
I thought it would be equal, because you know for Gcse's you have about 7 subjects and for a-levels its less. I guess that's not the case lol.

Its true that you have a lot more exams at GCSE (i had 28 in year 11 compared to 12 last year) but the exams themselves require a much deeper understanding of the content, and there are no where near as many questions that are 'free' marks. The amount of content is also much greater for each subject.
Its true that you have a lot more exams at GCSE (i had 28 in year 11 compared to 12 last year) but the exams themselves require a much deeper understanding of the content, and there are no where near as many questions that are 'free' marks. The amount of content is also much greater for each subject.

Omg Im scared now lol. But thanks a lot for the advice.
Original post by RoadtoSuccess
Just let the gas out, because it helps a lot trust me! And eat a lot of chocolate helps sooth nerves & most importantly watch anime!

Spoiler

LOl Thanks buddy!
Original post by 11lmizo
Omg Im scared now lol. But thanks a lot for the advice.

No need ti be scared, they're not that bad lol. What do you want to do next year if you dont mind me asking
No need ti be scared, they're not that bad lol. What do you want to do next year if you dont mind me asking

I want to do Biology and chemistry because I'm hoping to go into the medical field, I also want to pick media and im not sure what else to pick. What subjects are you doing?
Original post by 11lmizo
I want to do Biology and chemistry because I'm hoping to go into the medical field, I also want to pick media and im not sure what else to pick. What subjects are you doing?

Maths further maths physics chemistry
Maths further maths physics chemistry

All the hard ones omg, I wanted to do math but I don't know. How is math?
Reply 17
Original post by 11lmizo

If you're looking to do medicine I wouldn't bother with media. The best four would be maths, chemistry, biology and physics
Original post by 11lmizo
All the hard ones omg, I wanted to do math but I don't know. How is math?

Maths is probably the subject with the biggest variation in how people find it tbh. Some people find it very straightforward and dont need to do a lot of work for it while others have to put in a lot of effort. If you work hard at it though you can do well in it though (and if you want to go into a medical field a fairly sizeable proportion of the applicants will have maths)
Maths is probably the subject with the biggest variation in how people find it tbh. Some people find it very straightforward and dont need to do a lot of work for it while others have to put in a lot of effort. If you work hard at it though you can do well in it though (and if you want to go into a medical field a fairly sizeable proportion of the applicants will have maths)

Yeah that is true, sorry one more question. Like how do you split your revision time and how long do you spend revising for each subject?

Quick Reply