The Student Room Group

Is it possible to self-teach Further Maths AS now ? or is it too late?

sorted
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zenzation
I am currently tangled with my thoughts, due to my college not teaching FM, i was forced to make the choice of just maths, I'm currently in AS and taking chem, physics, bio and maths (also M1). My question is, is it possible to self-teach myself FM now and take the summer exam series or is it too late? I am already good at normal maths and really want to self teach myself AS FM, I have a really strong work ethic and can work 5-7 hours/night excluding weekends which can be a lot longer. Due to all sciences becoming linear, I don't really have to work as hard due to the AS not going towards meaning I could focus on maths and FM a lot more. For FM, i would go FP1, D1 and S1 or FP1, FP2 and D1, Has anybody ever done this? what would you recommend and how much work would I have to do? Thanks. ps (edexcel)

Also, is it too late to enter for the summer series

It's not too late though college deadlines for exam entries might be coming up. I wouldn't "not work hard" because of the linearity of the new Spec but if you think you can handle it then fair play.

D1 is the easier of the two modules but it's more tedious. And people self teach Further Maths all the time. The AS should probably be doable in a couple of months. Try to make use of your frees!

A word of warning: Fp2 requires some C3/C4 knowledge so you may want to take Fp1, M1 and S1 or else you might find the amount of material a bit of a step up.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Reply 3
I am currently tangled with my thoughts, due to my college not teaching FM, i was forced to make the choice of just maths, I'm currently in AS and taking chem, physics, bio and maths (also M1). My question is, is it possible to self-teach myself FM now and take the summer exam series or is it too late? I am already good at normal maths and really want to self teach myself AS FM, I have a really strong work ethic and can work 5-7 hours/night excluding weekends which can be a lot longer. Due to all sciences becoming linear, I don't really have to work as hard due to the AS not going towards meaning I could focus on maths and FM a lot more. For FM, i would go FP1, D1 and S1 or FP1, FP2 and D1, Has anybody ever done this? what would you recommend and how much work would I have to do? Thanks. ps (edexcel)

Might be too late to apply but more than enough time to learn the specification. If you are good at maths you could easily learn the entire spec to A* level in three weeks if you put a fews hour per day into it.
Reply 4

Yeah, that's fine. You have plenty of time and it's very do-able, especially as you've chosen very easy modules.

Quick Reply

Latest