The Student Room Group

How do you respond to street fundraisers?

I mainly try to duck them before they notice me, if they do I will say Im running late for work.. on occasions where I've had time to kill I'd purposely make eye contact or look in the direction of their leaflets so they approach me, get them to do their big rehearsed speech act really interested asking questions then say not interested.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

kill them
Ah, yes, the charity muggers with their clipboards and optomism. I always just walk faster and say "Sorry, I can't stop!".
Reply 3
It feels really awkward when I see them walking up to me as I dont have any money to spare (student life). I wish they wouldn't ask people for money but I know they have to in order to keep charities going.Usually i try to avoid eye contact or walk away quickly before they reach me.

So many feelings crash together over this. you want to give money for a good cause but sometimes you can't spare money yourself. CONFLICT.
Original post by Alisaur
It feels really awkward when I see them walking up to me as I dont have any money to spare (student life). I wish they wouldn't ask people for money but I know they have to in order to keep charities going.Usually i try to avoid eye contact or walk away quickly before they reach me.

So many feelings crash together over this. you want to give money for a good cause but sometimes you can't spare money yourself. CONFLICT.

A solid 90% dont care they do it for their own gain they dont donate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I tell them I already donate to the charity monthly via direct debit.

I mean, I don't actually, but it leaves them happy and it means I don't have to be rude :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Superhotfire
A solid 90% dont care they do it for their own gain they dont donate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well 90% seems accurate. They can be rude sometimes too. Some individuals do it for charities 100% legitimately. But you can never be sure after meeting someone on the street for 5 seconds! It's wrong really.
I usually have my ear phones in so when they approach me I just give them a passing smile and move on, I don't know why they'd come up to me anyway I definitely don't dress like I have any money lol
Original post by Alisaur
Well 90% seems accurate. They can be rude sometimes too. Some individuals do it for charities 100% legitimately. But you can never be sure after meeting someone on the street for 5 seconds! It's wrong really.

I heard at one point the government were going to make it illegal for them to approach you in the street, I've had it when they've used hard sales tactics. I remember when they even came to my house sayin my neighbour ben down the street has been very generous and the whole community have been getting involved it was bullox theres no ben I've lived in same area my whole life and same street I know absolutely everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Dont even know if they're legit or not..
Reply 10
Original post by Superhotfire
I heard at one point the government were going to make it illegal for them to approach you in the street, I've had it when they've used hard sales tactics. I remember when they even came to my house sayin my neighbour ben down the street has been very generous and the whole community have been getting involved it was bullox theres no ben I've lived in same area my whole life and same street I know absolutely everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah the government should do more to prevent it. It is just so hard for it to be stopped!
I usually don't stare at them
And if they stop me I say "sorry I'm in a rush"
Tactical dodge + no eye contact usually works for me.
They tend not to stop people on their phone lol

Try that
"Sorry I'm in a rush"
Reply 15
"Sorry, I'm a student, I have no money"

Posted from TSR Mobile
I usually stop and talk to them for they are really chatty and by the end, I'm ready to empty my pockets.

Luckily for me, I'm usually broke so I only end up donating coppers but they look at me so incredulously that I apologetically pat my pockets and do a little jump so they can hear that I have no more coins.

Now I think they've put me on some kind of "Chuggers blacklist".
Original post by AthiaKarim
They tend not to stop people on their phone lol

Try that

Why are you so pale?

You look like a corpse.:afraid:
It seems these days they want you to sign up to a monthly subscription. I've volunteered to do it but never really pestered people that much.
They don't annoy me as much as the street sales people trying to switch you to their broadband and stuff like that.

As someone else above said one the one hand the charity needs to get people to donate, but on the other hand it makes me so damn uncomfortable being approached all the time and having to say no. And I live in a city so this is a very common occurrence for me, very annoying especially when you're obviously trying to avoid them and they come running after you.

Quick Reply

Latest