The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Masters (MPhil) Questions! - What is it like?

Hi guys,

Considering a MPhil in Political and Economic Sociology at Cambridge in the future. I would be coming straight from my undergrad degree, have a couple of questions for any of you that might have some experience.

1 - How intense is it, is it a remarkable step up from undergrad studies?
2 - Does a similar student loan situation apply (academic fee lone, and income-dependant maintenance loan?)
3 - Is it strange being an 'older one rather than an undergrad, I'd hate to feel isolated and grouped purely with post grads!

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Cal-lum
Hi guys,

Considering a MPhil in Political and Economic Sociology at Cambridge in the future. I would be coming straight from my undergrad degree, have a couple of questions for any of you that might have some experience.

1 - How intense is it, is it a remarkable step up from undergrad studies?
2 - Does a similar student loan situation apply (academic fee lone, and income-dependant maintenance loan?)
3 - Is it strange being an 'older one rather than an undergrad, I'd hate to feel isolated and grouped purely with post grads!

Thanks in advance.

Try Postgraduate forum. This forum is mainly for undergraduate. :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=100

But just FYI, you won't have much opportunity to mix with undergraduate not because you're grouped as 'undergrads' or 'postgrads' but because everyone is really busy with their work & other commitments and college-level activities are organised separately for undergrads (JCR) and for postgrads (MCR). Also most of postgrads accommodation ( if you get one) are separate from undergrads.
However, most of clubs/societies are open for both UG and PG, so you'll have a chance to mingle with UG.
Also, many MPhil students are straight from undergraduate course, so you'll be in a company of people with similar age.
(edited 8 years ago)
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending