The Student Room Group

Second year LLB module choices

So I have to choose my second year law modules pretty soon.. I know it's incredibly early but I'm assuming it has something to do with the research interests of the staff at my university. Anyway, we have to take Criminal, Land and Trusts & Equity. I can choose another three optional modules out of the following:

Advanced issues in Public law
Public International Law
The EU Internal Market and its citizens
Media Law
Commercial Law
Employment Law
Law of Family Relationships

I'm planning on taking Commercial, Employment and Family... However, I'm concerned because they are all contractual. I love contract at the moment and I definitely prefer private law to public, but will not doing any Public law be detrimental in any way when it comes to applying for training contracts etc.? I'm obviously doing the required Public law module in order to obtain a QDL but I was just concerned that my options may be slightly too narrowly focussed?
Original post by jamesmact
So I have to choose my second year law modules pretty soon.. I know it's incredibly early but I'm assuming it has something to do with the research interests of the staff at my university. Anyway, we have to take Criminal, Land and Trusts & Equity. I can choose another three optional modules out of the following:

Public International Law
Media Law
Commercial Law
Employment Law

I'm planning on taking Commercial, Employment and Family... However, I'm concerned because they are all contractual. I love contract at the moment and I definitely prefer private law to public, but will not doing any Public law be detrimental in any way when it comes to applying for training contracts etc.? I'm obviously doing the required Public law module in order to obtain a QDL but I was just concerned that my options may be slightly too narrowly focussed?

I've moved this to the legal careers forum rather than the uni courses law forum - I think you're more likely to get advice from qualified and practicing lawyers here :smile:

Public International Law
Media Law
Commercial Law
Employment Law

Do you have any idea what practice area you might want to go into in due course? If so, this may well have a bearing on your choices. Otherwise, I'd say that unless you actually want to go into public law or a related field, having done the compulsory Public Law module should be sufficient. Also, bear in mind (unless I'm misunderstanding the module title completely) that family law is a completely different area of law from the others, so definitely not too narrow. Further, although employment is of course related to contract, that likely won't be the primary focus of the module. Rather, you'll probably be looking at the statutory and common law provisions governing the employer/employee relationship, etc. The commercial law module varies hugely between unis, but my best guess is that in addition to contractual issues (obviously), you'll be looking at sale of goods (and services), maybe some international trade law, and depending on your syllabus, maybe even some company/shipping/insurance aspects. Point is, they're definitely sufficiently different, so you shouldn't worry if this is the route you want to go down and variety is your main concern.

At the end of the day though, go for what you feel you will enjoy the most and can get the best grades in, as those will be the most important things in the long run.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by LadyLaw23
Do you have any idea what practice area you might want to go into in due course? If so, this may well have a bearing on your choices. Otherwise, I'd say that unless you actually want to go into public law or a related field, having done the compulsory Public Law module should be sufficient. Also, bear in mind (unless I'm misunderstanding the module title completely) that family law is a completely different area of law from the others, so definitely not too narrow. Further, although employment is of course related to contract, that likely won't be the primary focus of the module. Rather, you'll probably be looking at the statutory and common law provisions governing the employer/employee relationship, etc. The commercial law module varies hugely between unis, but my best guess is that in addition to contractual issues (obviously), you'll be looking at sale of goods (and services), maybe some international trade law, and depending on your syllabus, maybe even some company/shipping/insurance aspects. Point is, they're definitely sufficiently different, so you shouldn't worry if this is the route you want to go down and variety is your main concern.

At the end of the day though, go for what you feel you will enjoy the most and can get the best grades in, as those will be the most important things in the long run.

Thank you so much! I'm leaning towards a career in commercial law. A lot of people at my university (Durham) are going down a similar route. I definitely think that these modules are the best fit for me. Variety was a big concern of mine, however, thanks for explaining the substantial differences between the modules; has been a big help xx
Thank you so much! I'm leaning towards a career in commercial law. A lot of people at my university (Durham) are going down a similar route. I definitely think that these modules are the best fit for me. Variety was a big concern of mine, however, thanks for explaining the substantial differences between the modules; has been a big help xx

No problem and I understand your position - I have always been most interested in a career in commercial/chancery (for me, it's the Bar), and I had to make similar types of choices myself. The only other thing I'd say is that it's ok not have a huge variety of subjects if you're absolutely sure what you want to do in the future, because it then becomes more about what you'll enjoy most and what will be most useful for you in your future career, as well as what subjects you'll get the best grades in. The latter is especially important because most applicants now are judged first and foremost on grades, and only then on everything else.

Also, don't forget that you can show variety later on, be it through mini-pupillages at different types of sets, or through VSs and experience at firms practising in different areas. However variety is only usually required in the context of 'why this area of law over another', with sets/firms also wanting to see a genuine interest in and commitment to their area as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending