The Student Room Group

Tech Presentation help!

Hello I'm James.

I have recently applied for an internship opportunity in the US with Microsoft and have been invited to deliver a Skype presentation as the final stage. The position is as a product/project assistant manager intern in the tech consulting and solutions area.

I've been given a topic to talk about for 15 minutes and 5 minutes for questions but I've just been going round in circles :/ Hoping for some ideas from you guys...

The question is: In no more than 15 minutes, deliver a presentation on the following topic:

(a) If you could have been manager for any project in the history of time which would you choose and why?

(b) If you were the manager for this project, is there anything you would have done differently and why?

Any suggestions would be welcome. My presentation is next week :/

Thanks
Have you read any biographical books on Microsoft or Google? Or the history of computing in general? Failing that, dig out The Pirates of Silicone Valley (film) for a bit of cheese. If you aren't inspired by any of that, you are applying for the wrong job.

Good luck!
Reply 2
thanks for the suggestions. I'll check those out. I have a few ideas I just don't want to be to predictable. Part b is also tricky for me
Original post by jamiew123
thanks for the suggestions. I'll check those out. I have a few ideas I just don't want to be to predictable. Part b is also tricky for me

Oh I don't know. You have hindsight on your side. So if you were talking about Microsoft's clamour to set up the one stop shop that was MSN in the infancy of the internet, you could say that it clearly wasn't the way forward and they should have invested instead in a decent search engine! :smile:

Yahoo and Infoseek at the time were complete and utter pants!
Hello I'm James.

I have recently applied for an internship opportunity in the US with Microsoft and have been invited to deliver a Skype presentation as the final stage. The position is as a product/project assistant manager intern in the tech consulting and solutions area.

I've been given a topic to talk about for 15 minutes and 5 minutes for questions but I've just been going round in circles :/ Hoping for some ideas from you guys...

The question is: In no more than 15 minutes, deliver a presentation on the following topic:

(a) If you could have been manager for any project in the history of time which would you choose and why?

(b) If you were the manager for this project, is there anything you would have done differently and why?

Any suggestions would be welcome. My presentation is next week :/

Thanks

I think I would steer away from IT and do something a bit different - what about the Suez Canal or something like that?
Reply 5
Thanks for that input! - That's an interesting topic actually.

Perhaps I should have mentioned I'm not an IT graduate, and the role is open to any graduate from business, IT or science disciplines etc, as training is provided and they are looking for 'blue squirrels'.

As such I don't believe they will demand a tech related project, and are probably more concerned with how I present my ideas. With a limited IT background I think it could be a risk choosing a technical related project if they ask me detailed questions.

I'm still not decided on a particular project of late but these are a few ideas I have had:

Olympic Games (xx)
Sydney Opera House
Panama Canal
Some form of communications systems perhaps in a hospital etc

Any feedback?

Cheers
Thanks for that input! - That's an interesting topic actually.

Perhaps I should have mentioned I'm not an IT graduate, and the role is open to any graduate from business, IT or science disciplines etc, as training is provided and they are looking for 'blue squirrels'.

As such I don't believe they will demand a tech related project, and are probably more concerned with how I present my ideas. With a limited IT background I think it could be a risk choosing a technical related project if they ask me detailed questions.

I'm still not decided on a particular project of late but these are a few ideas I have had:

Olympic Games (xx)
Sydney Opera House
Panama Canal
Some form of communications systems perhaps in a hospital etc

Any feedback?

Cheers

This could be a bad idea but… The Chernobyl Disaster popped into my head when reading this. That's a good example of a massive mistake :yep: however you do it, best of luck OP :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending