The Student Room Group

A Level: Digital Tech or Software Systems Dev?

I haven't thought about post A levels much, so I want to focus on what I like, while still leaving options open.

I want to do Physics, as I have interest for it, and am less interested in the other sciences, and I definitely feel I should take atleast one science. In mock, I got AA in DA Science, and an A in Physics. I got a C in maths mock, and B in Further Maths, which was disappointing, and I really want to improve on. I also want to do Maths, alongside Physics A level.

I need to decide between Digital Technology (ICT replacement from Sep 2016 - AS year is replaced, with all theory, instead of half coursework) and Software Systems Dev. These A levels weren't explained, by our teacher. I do ICT GCSE, and got A in mock (the final grade has to go with my coursework as well, which hopefully is good). I want good A levels, without them being extremely difficult, to the point I can't go well in them all. I've been told that ICT isn't a good A level to have.

If I want to have something to do with computers, possibly programming later, would the best choice be to do Systems Software Dev, and what does this actually involve?

If DT A level is like ICT GCSE, then I'm not sure about it. In GCSE, we have spent our time, trying not to lose marks making documents, a simple website and game, and the theory is pretty straightforward, and doesn't involve much new learning. It's just simple explanations of devices, storage, internet. Would I be best going for Systems Software, also how difficult would it be to do it, if I had only done ICT GCSE, and not Computing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending