The Student Room Group

Medicine/Modern Language

Does anyone know of any Medicine courses;
-That can be studied in conjunction with French?
-In France that teach Medicine in English?
-That have the option of a year in France?

I really don't want my knowledge of the French language to plateau after A-level.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply 1
Original post by frenchenthusiast
-In France that teach Medicine in English?
-That have the option of a year in France?

I really don't want my knowledge of the French language to plateau after A-level.
Thanks in advance for your help.

There's no such thing as joint honours or anything like that. All medical schools offer a period of time abroad called the elective, which is around 8 weeks long, and you can do that bit in France. Student selected components allow you time to do whatever you want and although you're not usually allowed abroad, you can do something french related - i.e. here we have a medical french 6-week non-clinical SSC.

You could also intercalate perhaps and do that abroad in France? I'm not aware that any medical school allows you to study a year abroad and it count towards your final MBBS. If you don't want your language to plateau, at least Newcastle (and presumably everywhere else) have optional free language programmes by the relevant school in the form of evening classes of different levels. They're examined, I think they're worth 20 credits, and show up on your degree transcript.
Original post by Beska
I'm not aware that any medical school allows you to study a year abroad and it count towards your final MBBS.

Manchester get the closest to this - they have a European option which involves 4 years of weekly language classes and then a compulsory placement in that country. It reads as if this is additional to, instead of in place of, the elective.

http://www.mms.manchester.ac.uk/study/why-study-medicine-manchester/study-in-europe/

Original post by frenchenthusiast

See the link above.

Quick Reply

Latest