The Student Room Group

What is the Best University in the U.K. for becomming a game programmer.

Currently my future career prospect is to become a game programmer.
1st) Which U.K. university is the best to study at in order to develop the necessary skills to become a game programmer, & what is the most beneficial university course to take? Don't list Oxbridge.

2nd) For anyone who is a game programmer and currently for a company, what is your general experience.

3nd) How beneficial would a degree in Artificial Intelligence be to become a game programmer.

A list of universities in order of prestige would also be preferred, thanks :smile: :u:.
edinburgh does the most research in AI. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_Stanford_Link
Thanks. Would you know if it is in anyway beneficial for game programming.
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
Thanks. Would you know if it is in anyway beneficial for game programming.

AI involves topics like pathfinding algorithms, monte carlo search trees and machine learning. those algorithms and methodologies are used all the time in games development.
Reply 4
Derby uni has a games programming degree plus a road called Lara Croft Way
Abertay in Dundee. I don't go there but it seems good
Probably Imperial College London
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
Currently my future career prospect is to become a game programmer.
1st) Which U.K. university is the best to study at in order to develop the necessary skills to become a game programmer, & what is the most beneficial university course to take? Don't list Oxbridge.

You dont even even have to go to university to become a games programmer/developer. But It requires same skills as a CS student except you have to be good at math (Matrices, Quaternions, Vector, etc if you are to work on the core engine) so I'd say take CS with maths or just CS.

2nd) For anyone who is a game programmer and currently for a company, what is your general experience.

Not a professional game developer, neither have I worked in industry but I've done some development in pygame and unity 3d trying to create physics engines etc. The hard part is maths, and if you're creating huge games like fifa, gta, etc one of your main conerns will be memory management.

3nd) How beneficial would a degree in Artificial Intelligence be to become a game programmer.

Very useful of course, current games already use lot of AI (depends on your definition of AI), and people have been trying to create games with generates levels and stories based on how the player plays the game, stuff like that are currently in development but could get huge in development. I wouldn't imagine that they use a lot of AI in games though, which is why i said it depends on your definition of AI, lots of hardcore algorithms are used for sure but thats different from stuff like Neural networks etc, I dont see how that could be used in video games. Path planning algorithms could be classed as AI but then again its not really AI, so depends on your definition. Nevertheless an AI degree wouldn't be bad for games delopment

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending