The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Is Kings College London really worth it?

I've just received an offer for electronic engineering and I'm in a bit of a pickle.
Kings is definitely the best offer I have, however, I am a very physically active person and I have recently checked the Strand Campus and noticed there is virtually nothing in terms of sport facilities. Furthermore, I have visited campus uni's and noticed they seem like a much better place to be in terms of societies, sports, and socially.

My biggest concern is that I'm not sure if for 9k a year a library and a basketball club 2hrs from my house is worth it.

If there are any Kings alumni's, students can you tell me:

Is Kings a good place to study overall?

Are there many societies?

Will Kings really propel you to get a better job in the future?

What's it like to play for a team at Kings?
(preferably the basketball team but any sport is cool)

Do you get special access anywhere?

Is it really worth 9k a year?

I appreciate any response, if I get any!
Original post by luqmoney
I've just received an offer for electronic engineering and I'm in a bit of a pickle.
Kings is definitely the best offer I have, however, I am a very physically active person and I have recently checked the Strand Campus and noticed there is virtually nothing in terms of sport facilities. Furthermore, I have visited campus uni's and noticed they seem like a much better place to be in terms of societies, sports, and socially.

My biggest concern is that I'm not sure if for 9k a year a library and a basketball club 2hrs from my house is worth it.

Hi,

I graduated from Kings back in 2012, whilst I didn't pay the £9k fee (thank God) , I can shed some light on a few of your other questions.

In terms of sporting facilities, King's doesn't have it's "own" courts, fields etc. I'm not sure if other London unis do, but this seems to be because it's in London...owning a huge field in London would be an economically unjustifiable way of spending student and government money. Instead, it's common to rent out places to practise - so you would usually go to a local school court, or field etc. I think 2 hours away is a bit of an exaggeration. The majority of sports were played locally and there wasn't anything further than 30 mins away by bus (quicker on tube) to travel. Basketball practise wasn't far, football, netball used local courts 2 tube stops away.

If you're looking for more of a "campus" feel, then there's a number of other great unis out there.

Kings had loads of societies, from singing, to drama, dance, sport, debating, religion, activist groups, charity runs, even extreme frisbee ! So don't think that it's a quiet uni where you won't be up to much besides studying in the library.

The added benefit of being in London (and not on campus) was that we could do things that other unis couldn't - e.g. there was a "musicals visit" group where a group of 50 would go pay discounted group student tickets to see different west end shows, or a big group would go play lazer tag, there's literally a new club opening in London every week, not the same old student club on campus where you meet the same people. You meet students from loads of different unis - UCL, City, Kingston, Imperial, Middlesex, Queen Mary (not to mention healthy competition between uni groups). That's the reason I picked Kings...I love London.

Kings has a reputation for being very very good. When I go for interviews etc most would comment saying I have been to a very good uni and impresses a lot of potential employers.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by stargirl63
Hi,

I graduated from Kings back in 2012, whilst I didn't pay the £9k fee (thank God) , I can shed some light on a few of your other questions.

In terms of sporting facilities, King's doesn't have it's "own" courts, fields etc. I'm not sure if other London unis do, but this seems to be because it's in London...owning a huge field in London would be an economically unjustifiable way of spending student and government money. Instead, it's common to rent out places to practise - so you would usually go to a local school court, or field etc. I think 2 hours away is a bit of an exaggeration. The majority of sports were played locally and there wasn't anything further than 30 mins away by bus (quicker on tube) to travel. Basketball practise wasn't far, football, netball used local courts 2 tube stops away.

If you're looking for more of a "campus" feel, then there's a number of other great unis out there.

Kings had loads of societies, from singing, to drama, dance, sport, debating, religion, activist groups, charity runs, even extreme frisbee ! So don't think that it's a quiet uni where you won't be up to much besides studying in the library.

The added benefit of being in London (and not on campus) was that we could do things that other unis couldn't - e.g. there was a "musicals visit" group where a group of 50 would go pay discounted group student tickets to see different west end shows, or a big group would go play lazer tag, there's literally a new club opening in London every week, not the same old student club on campus where you meet the same people. You meet students from loads of different unis - UCL, City, Kingston, Imperial, Middlesex, Queen Mary (not to mention healthy competition between uni groups). That's the reason I picked Kings...I love London.

Kings has a reputation for being very very good. When I go for interviews etc most would comment saying I have been to a very good uni and impresses a lot of potential employers.

Thanks for giving me a better insight, so would you say that socially Kings is very active? and I forgot to mention do you have full access to other campuses?

The only reason I'm asking all of these questions is because everyone keeps telling me the student satisfaction rating (I think that's what its called) has been consistently quite low. What would you rate yours?
The answer to all your questions are all yes yes yes yes
Thanks for giving me a better insight, so would you say that socially Kings is very active? and I forgot to mention do you have full access to other campuses?

The only reason I'm asking all of these questions is because everyone keeps telling me the student satisfaction rating (I think that's what its called) has been consistently quite low. What would you rate yours?

Kings is active - but you need to put in the effort to go. I know some students who went to loads of societies in the first 2 months, then never showed up again. But if you enjoy it - that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Yes you do have full access to other campuses.

lol who is "everyone" ? I personally loved Kings, and would give anything to re-live my student days. I think it's a hype which is what they refer to. They see Kings as this "great uni" then when you come there, it's like everything else, so it's perhaps disappointing? I'm not sure, I can't speak for them. All I know, is that employers love Kings (which is , at the end of the day, why we go to uni).
Reply 5
Original post by stargirl63
Kings is active - but you need to put in the effort to go. I know some students who went to loads of societies in the first 2 months, then never showed up again. But if you enjoy it - that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Yes you do have full access to other campuses.

lol who is "everyone" ? I personally loved Kings, and would give anything to re-live my student days. I think it's a hype which is what they refer to. They see Kings as this "great uni" then when you come there, it's like everything else, so it's perhaps disappointing? I'm not sure, I can't speak for them. All I know, is that employers love Kings (which is , at the end of the day, why we go to uni).

Thanks for everything! I think I know what I need to do now. Hopefully it's the right choice lol.
Reply 6

Hey, I got into the same course for this years entry and if you did end up going to King's, could you give me any feedback on how the course is overall?
Any feedback would be much appreciated! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest