The Student Room Group

LPC interviewing exam question!!

Good morning everyone,

To those of you who have completed/undergoing the LPC, have you any idea of how bad you have to be to be marked non-competant on the interviewing assessment?

I really messed up in mine as the nerves just got the better of me, I followed the structure they wanted and asked all the questions you have to ask but my legal advice was really muddled. I have a TC in place but I have to pass everything first time, and now I am absolutely terrified I failed it.

Thanks for any help!
Well, don't forget that they are assessing your interviewing competencies within the context of whatever legal area you did the IV in, rather than your correct application of law to facts. The competencies they are measuring are Interviewing ones. Do you think you were way out with the law? or just a bit mixed up?

So, did you greet the client, get the client details down, say your client care information, complaints system, outline next steps, friendly, eye contact - all the basic things - if you did, then that all sounds good - my hunch is that they will expect you to be nervous anyway - it shouldn't matter.

I remember getting mixed up on my application of the law to the situation - I was also worried i had failed but of course, i hadn't. If you broadly think you did OK apart from getting the law mixed up a bit, I bet you will be OK.

Original post by WonkyDog
Good morning everyone,

To those of you who have completed/undergoing the LPC, have you any idea of how bad you have to be to be marked non-competant on the interviewing assessment?

I really messed up in mine as the nerves just got the better of me, I followed the structure they wanted and asked all the questions you have to ask but my legal advice was really muddled. I have a TC in place but I have to pass everything first time, and now I am absolutely terrified I failed it.

Thanks for any help!
Reply 2
Original post by happyinthehaze
Well, don't forget that they are assessing your interviewing competencies within the context of whatever legal area you did the IV in, rather than your correct application of law to facts. The competencies they are measuring are Interviewing ones. Do you think you were way out with the law? or just a bit mixed up?

So, did you greet the client, get the client details down, say your client care information, complaints system, outline next steps, friendly, eye contact - all the basic things - if you did, then that all sounds good - my hunch is that they will expect you to be nervous anyway - it shouldn't matter.

I remember getting mixed up on my application of the law to the situation - I was also worried i had failed but of course, i hadn't. If you broadly think you did OK apart from getting the law mixed up a bit, I bet you will be OK.

Thank you :smile:

Yes, I did all the greetings and all the bits you are meant to cover like costs/timing/conduct stuff etc. I felt confident and relaxed throughout most of it i just got a bit muddled and nervous in the middle when I had to do the advice then onto options.

I made sure client was happy asking if anything else I could do/follow up steps and we arrived at an option the client liked, so that's good. I just have no idea what marks are assigned to each part of the interview and if the rest was good enough to get me over 50%!

I guess just feeling the pressure of the unknown and my TC having no resits puts me on edge!
When I did my LPC, I was told by a tutor you have to be really rubbish to fail it. As long as you were polite and followed the structure, did not do anything that could go against professional conduct, you can generally get away with getting some of the law wrong and still pass as it's more about your skill of interviewing. I know someone who got the law completely wrong but still passed interviewing as they were fine in all other areas.

If you're with the University of Law, in the mock exam they gave me a sheet which had an asterisk next to the areas that held the most weight; you might have been given the same? I don't think advising had an asterisk.
(edited 8 years ago)
I just went to the bookies to put a bet on that you would pass but they wouldn't take it because it was a dead cert!

I Think Your Training Contract is Safe :smile:

I totally did exactly what you did and I passed. I think everyone passed. You will also pass.

Thank you :smile:

Yes, I did all the greetings and all the bits you are meant to cover like costs/timing/conduct stuff etc. I felt confident and relaxed throughout most of it i just got a bit muddled and nervous in the middle when I had to do the advice then onto options.

I made sure client was happy asking if anything else I could do/follow up steps and we arrived at an option the client liked, so that's good. I just have no idea what marks are assigned to each part of the interview and if the rest was good enough to get me over 50%!

I guess just feeling the pressure of the unknown and my TC having no resits puts me on edge!
Reply 5
The only thing I failed on the LPC out of mocks and real exams was the mock interview/wills exam. They were assessed at the same time but seperately, in that you could fail either, or both, or one or the other. I failed wills, not interviewing, but my confidence was knocked as a result.

I had a similar pressure by the very fact I hadn't secured a TC and knew the odds would continue against me if I didn't get good marks.

Review your feedback carefully and work on it. Work on understanding the law if it's not coming across to the client clearly; it may not directly be interview marks but it'll make it on the whole easier for the assessor to mark.

Don't be afraid to ask a trusted tutor for more practice. It's what you or your firm are paying the fees for and its what I did. The real assessment went much better for me as a result.
Reply 6
Hi people. I had a really really bad experience and completely messed up the Interviewing assessment yesterday at BPP. I have no idea what happened and I just froze after I got the document and rushed to advising without asking any Q. So I probably gave the wrong advice. But I was polite, did the greeting and all the things we had to do in the beginning and about the fees and complaints etc.. I did say some ******** options and made sure I confirmed my understanding of the client's concerns, and I did get the document off of the client.But I just messed the whole questioning and interviewing as in I did not ask the client whether they liked the options, did not question them, etc..Do you think this would be more of not competent or is there the slightest chance that it could be competent? did anyone mess up the questioning bit and still passed?
Reply 7
Hey - i'm scared i failed the wills exam as well. Since you did ok in everything else in the end, did it hinder your prospects of getting work?
Did you pass in the end, falrefai1?
Original post by falrefai1
Hi people. I had a really really bad experience and completely messed up the Interviewing assessment yesterday at BPP. I have no idea what happened and I just froze after I got the document and rushed to advising without asking any Q. So I probably gave the wrong advice. But I was polite, did the greeting and all the things we had to do in the beginning and about the fees and complaints etc.. I did say some ******** options and made sure I confirmed my understanding of the client's concerns, and I did get the document off of the client.But I just messed the whole questioning and interviewing as in I did not ask the client whether they liked the options, did not question them, etc..Do you think this would be more of not competent or is there the slightest chance that it could be competent? did anyone mess up the questioning bit and still passed?

Did you pass in the end falfai1?
Good morning everyone,

Thanks for any help!

Hey! Did you pass in the end? I had recently mine and I am so scared I will fail it because although I did everything else, the advice I gave is wrong. So I am really scared.
Original post by happyinthehaze

I had mine and I got the advice wrong and thus I am scared I failed. Although I did everything else right and I was confident and I asked a lot of questions, in the end the advice I gave is wrong. Do you think I failed?
Original post by Agapi41243
I had mine and I got the advice wrong and thus I am scared I failed. Although I did everything else right and I was confident and I asked a lot of questions, in the end the advice I gave is wrong. Do you think I failed?

Not necessarily - they are not expecting the advice to be perfect and won't automatically fail you if you get some points wrong or miss something. It's more about the interviewing skills. Be interested to know how you got on.
Reply 13
Hi guys! I forgot to give advice on one of the issues since I was running out of time (5 mins left). All else was fine with the exception of some audio trouble which they knew about and so I had to ask them to repeat stuff twice, fumbling in the beginning of the questioning (not too much), may have forgotten to hum/nod/look at camera (I am unsure on the camera point) while they were giving the info spiel since I was writing it all down and I had to slightly rush the conclusion (5 mins left - totally understandable but may have not done the next steps part though did ask them to come back with instructions once they felt they had chosen one of the options I gave which were 3). Still finished within the time limit. I asked the relevant questions by following the legal note and they screenshared the agreement with me. I let the client choose from the options that I gave. Do you think I will pass even if I forgot to do/did all that?

Latest

Trending

Trending