The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Can I continue my studies at the Open University and move abroad?

Hello, I'm very new to this and so my post may be a bit confusing to you all but here goes... I've recently started a distance learning course with the open university. I'm studying part time and also working part time and all is going well. The course is 6 years long and is an undergraduate degree. All of my work is done online. The course is being paid for with a tuition fee loan.

My boyfriend is a teacher and a few opportunities have come up for him to work (and live) in Europe. We've looked at Holland and Spain, but we are just discussing our options. (I know it may be harder to answer this without a specific country in mind, but it will 100% be in Europe.) I like the idea and as time goes by I find myself wanting to just go for it! We're young, (I'm 21 and he's 24) we have no children and are both quite adventurous and hard working. It will most likely be for a year or two, with the possibility of it becoming permanent. I would be able to come back to the UK during half terms and holidays.

I don't want to drop my course, or run into difficulties with it. I'm not worried about earning money, or having to leave the job I have at the moment if I do go, I just want to make sure that I would be able to continue my studies if I were to move abroad as it is a priority to me at the moment. I have had a quick browse over OU's website but I haven't really found anything helpful, so I thought I'd come here first before contacting an adviser.

So basically, can I move to Europe, (Spain, for example) if I have started an Open University distance learning course in the UK, and continue with the course as I have been?

Hope this made sense and many thanks for reading!
Any opinions welcome, as well as advice :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
My degree is with the OU and i moved abroad a few months ago. ive not told them as i feel i dont need to.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
I don't see it being an issue. Although you will have to tell them you've moved otherwise your course materials will be posted to the incorrect place... (I know your course is online at present, but you may do a module that is not 100% online in the future).
Hi;

Just wondering if you went through with this and if it affected your funding in any way? I know that when you live in Holland you're required to register yourself as living there. I've been wanting to do the same but I'm worried once I would register it would get back to the UK government that I'm no longer in the country and my funding would stop.

Quick Reply

Latest