The Student Room Group

Edinburgh University or Cambridge University

Hello. I am currently in year 11 and I am about to start taking my GCSEs. I am planning on taking A-Level Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geography, hopefully presuming that I get the appropriate grades.

Eventually, I would like to study Veterinary Medicine at university. I do not know where I would like to go, but I am considering Edinburgh or Cambridge. Would anybody be able to advise me on where I should consider out of these two or provide any other options?
All vets schools are definitely worth considering, with Cambridge being a bit research focused and you have to study 6 years instead of 5.
The best thing you can do is to go to open days and see how you like the unis. Read their websites, see how their courses are structured, talk to some current students etc.
At the end of the day it's down to personal preferences where you apply. Also, don't let the league tables affect your decision where to apply or not, as we only have 8 schools and they're all good. The rankings do not matter that much :smile:

Here is a list of all the vet schools we have in the UK: Bristol, Cambridge, Liverpool, RVC, Nottingham, Surrey, Glasgow, Edinburgh.
Definitely consider applying to more than 2, as they're all very competitive and even top candidates have to be turned down sometimes.
Also start arranging work experience, and try to aim for a minimum of 10 weeks (Liverpools minimum requirement). Many applicants will have way more than that, and I have seen people having as much as 40-50 weeks in total by the time they apply.
Obviously this doesn't mean the more the better but try having your experiences as broad as possible.

There is an article on TSR about VetMed that would be a good starting point for you, and I would recommend you reading it: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Veterinary_Medicine :smile:

Good Luck
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nessie162
All vets schools are definitely worth considering, with Cambridge being a bit research focused and you have to study 6 years instead of 5.
The best thing you can do is to go to open days and see how you like the unis. Read their websites, see how their courses are structured, talk to some current students etc.
At the end of the day it's down to personal preferences where you apply. Also, don't let the league tables affect your decision where to apply or not, as we only have 8 schools and they're all good. The rankings do not matter that much :smile:

Here is a list of all the vet schools we have in the UK: Bristol, Cambridge, Liverpool, RVC, Nottingham, Surrey, Glasgow, Edinburgh.
Definitely consider applying to more than 2, as they're all very competitive and even top candidates have to be turned down sometimes.
Also start arranging work experience, and try to aim for a minimum of 10 weeks (Liverpools minimum requirement). Many applicants will have way more than that, and I have seen people having as much as 40-50 weeks in total by the time they apply.
Obviously this doesn't mean the more the better but try having your experiences as broad as possible.

There is an article on TSR about VetMed that would be a good starting point for you, and I would recommend you reading it: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Veterinary_Medicine :smile:

Good Luck

Thank you ever so much, this has been the most useful response I have ever got to a post that I have made on TSR. I'll certainly apply at more than two now that you have told me, and I'm already starting to get to work on my work experience (I previously worked at a farm and now I'm looking to do lambing). I shall check out that link now.

Thank you again!

Quick Reply

Latest