The Student Room Group

Do you think students are given enough student finance?

I personally think that the finance that UK students get is acceptable.

What do you think?
Are you feeling poor right now? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by urbanlocations
I personally think that the finance that UK students get is acceptable.

What do you think?
Are you feeling poor right now? :frown:

:noway:

I guess you're living off pot noodles at the moment? LOL
Reply 3
I guess you're living off pot noodles at the moment? LOL

No, I go uni in September...
No.

The loans system is massively flawed. It should not be based on household income as that is not your income. As an adult it should be based from your own savings and income.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kyx
No, I go uni in September...

Oh... stock up on them!
Reply 6
Oh... stock up on them!

I shall :smile:
Original post by DiddyDec
No.

The loans system is massively flawed. It should not be based on household income as that is not your income. As an adult it should be based from your own savings and income.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with this 100% but then I disagree in the way that if both parents earn a huge amount of money... Should the government pay large amounts for them?

It's a difficult one to discuss and the correct way to do it.
Yes!

Your not meant to have massive amounts of money for luxuries as a student!
Original post by BlackSweetness
Yes!

Your not meant to have massive amounts of money for luxuries as a student!

Are you supposed to have enough to afford the most basic rent?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree with this 100% but then I disagree in the way that if both parents earn a huge amount of money... Should the government pay large amounts for them?

It's a difficult one to discuss and the correct way to do it.

If they earn a lot of money then they will pay a lot of tax.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you supposed to have enough to afford the most basic rent?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on your parents income i would say.

Tuition fees on the other hand; definitely way too high imo
It depends on your sistuation.
I haven't lived with my parents for almost 3 years now and I'm turning 20 but I still get my loan based on their income which annoys me because they don't support me.
Depends on your parents income i would say.

Tuition fees on the other hand; definitely way too high imo

My parents didn't support me meaning my loan didn't even cover my rent which was only £3750 a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My parents didn't support me meaning my loan didn't even cover my rent which was only £3750 a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am in that same situation! But live in Scotland and I'm grateful I don't have to worry about tution fees. My dad doesn't support me and I don't get enough to cover rent even when working part time.
I'm lucky enough to have a partner now who supports me but my loan is still based on my dads income because we are not married.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its not the goverments fault your parents are unreasonable
Its not the goverments fault your parents are unreasonable

My parents don't see why they should be forced to pay out when they already pay far more tax. The system is not fair.
My parents don't see why they should be forced to pay out when they already pay far more tax. The system is not fair.

How is it not fair? You are your parents child, if they choose not support you, take it up with them, not the goverment
No.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And where would the extra money come from?
My mum is a single widowed mother with 5 children and she's going to really struggle to support me at uni as her finances are already stretched so far. My brother has special needs so she works part time. She earns just over what the cut off household income is for a bursary so I will get no help. I think its unfair that she has to contribute more to my education than a parent of only £250 less income with an only child.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending