The Student Room Group

Mature student anxieties

post removed
(edited 5 months ago)
Hey there! I had a friend last whom I was doing A-levels with, he was 27 last year, finished A-levels 10 years ago went straight to employment but he saw that without education he really isn't going anywhere. As I was repeating year 12 last year I happen to become friends with him, I was 19 at the time.

We made sure that we going to university this year, I was very very surprised to meet a 27 year old been soo enthusiastic about going to uni (most people at that age are like you, driven by fear and insecurities) but he wanted to study law soo badly.

But due to unfortunate things he didnt pass he's A-levels to the required varsity entrace level. As a result he didn't get in.

Im 100% sure that if he passed well he would be in university at the age of 28 as a 1st year student.

If you feel as if you want to go to uni dont waste anymore time bcoz next year u will feel like "it would've been better if I began uni last year". That will be a bigger regret.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mature students students can still live in halls and some universities have mature only places. I'm about to turn 29 in my first year of uni, I know there's a few mature students in my uni living in halls and do ok.......might make it easier for you to have a clean break but I think your best bet would be to phone student finance and chat with them, I've always found them helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Head.In.A.Book
Mature students students can still live in halls and some universities have mature only places. I'm about to turn 29 in my first year of uni, I know there's a few mature students in my uni living in halls and do ok.......might make it easier for you to have a clean break but I think your best bet would be to phone student finance and chat with them, I've always found them helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, denzel, listen to this poster. Living in the halls of mature students will make things X100 better for you. Did u talk to your parents about this ? But again I will say;

If you're thinking about UNI now, dont waste anymore time. GO FOR IT. If you feel its still not for you, you can always DROP OUT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Keep us posted, all the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Firstly, as a graduate, (graduated 2014, in second job since then) I have never been asked for a credit check for any job (nor, in fact, was I ever asked for a credit check before I went to uni). I do not work in financial services, where being declared bankrupt would be an issue, but in the vast majority of jobs they will neither know nor care. It will not show up on a DBS check (formerly a CRB check, only used if you want to work with children or vulnerable adults) as it is not a criminal matter.

With regards to the landlord credit checks, it's common if you rent a non-student house through a letting agent. However, if you rent direct from a landlord, then they will rarely go to the trouble. For my current flat (not in the student sector) we were not asked for credit checks - just a letter from our employer to confirm wages and that contracts weren't about to expire. In the student sector for shared houses (as opposed to halls), they never bother as few have any track record to speak of - so they require a UK guarantor instead (would this be an option for you?)

You might find it interesting to read this http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/credit-rating-credit-score

I would echo the idea of going into mature student halls - it will both get you away from your parents' house, and give you more options geographically in terms of where you can study.

You will receive a student loan on the basis of your own finances (not your parents') so long as you are over 25 when you start studying, which will completely cover the costs of your tuition fees, and it will help your living costs.
Heres my 2p worth

I will read everyone elses response.

1. Youve been through major trauma. You cna rebuild, it will be tough, but other people do it. In the US plenty of people go bankrupt and then build out of it. learn from it.
2. Credit is shot, but that will last six years and less depending how long ago it was. You will stil,l be able to get a basic bank account, you cna still get certain credit cards, but for the most part you are cash only.
3. I will assume you have established fees. So its just libing costs you need to worry about.
4. Bankruptcy is going to affect you in some jobs , but not all. Jobs to do with finance are probably a no, other jobs will be a no, but its a case of apply and see. You are only interested in the person who doesnt see it as an impediment. Casual work, bar jobs, portering etc. not the best paid but less likely to be checked or worried. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/debt-solutions/bankruptcy-2/is-bankruptcy-right-for-you/job-and-work-impact-of-bankruptcy/
5. Work out how much money you cna earn. If the amount is low, then you have to stay at home because you cnat afford to leave. On that basis you have to think yourself into the zone that you will make the best of it. Mayeb you have contacts left or you cna do soem self employed work during the holidays? Cash is king.
6. If you cna earn a lot, then you cna leave. I doubt halls bother about credit checks as they would just stop your degree. Private accommodayion is different, but a private landlord has discretion so they might only be interested in cash up front, but all of it.
7. You have to find the balance of how much you can earn and whether leaving is worth the costs. If money is short then id stay at home and reassess after a year whether you wnat to move out to uni.Sometimes in life i do what i cna now in the hope when ive cleared up soem things the road to take becomes clearer. Try and make a plan the progress with it and adjust along the way.I quite like
http://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Color-Your-Parachute-2016/dp/160774662X
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pathfinder-Lifetime-Satisfaction-Success-Touchstone/dp/1451608322/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1455230564&sr=1-1&keywords=pathfinder+career

Join your library or get old 2nd hand copies any edition for a few pence plus postage. You can learn a lot and its full of ideas and support.
Ok the graduate jobs you need to get advice on. The priority is your degree, then your sell point is what youve told us, you had a bump, but you learned from it, went to uni and youve overcome it. If they are rejecting you then you just need to find the firms that wont use it as a stick to beat you with, the rest are irrelevant.

The LL thing is really you avoid agencies who milk credit checks or if its an agency with a house you must have then you offer it all in advance. One ood way is halls for first year , make your friends and move out with them. Private LL's tend to be much more flexible, but be careful about offering a years rent. make sure you wnat it and then get receipts etc.
Your thinking is a bit unclear. Keep it simple and break down the questions. Ive tried to address them as they present, but ofc its on limited information.

If you have money, just go and live in hall for a year to get the uni experience. Go somewhere people dont know you and you can leave your baggage behind and rethink.

You cnat change the past, so this idea about beating yourself up for not doing it 5 years ago is pointless. You might regret it now for not doing it at all or you might learn you can appreciate it better as a mature student or you might hate it. Of you havent got to worry about a job when you leave then your only issue is to woprk hard, do small jobs from contacts and maybe take one of the summers off to do traveling. This is a chance to be free and recover. Uoi dont need much money to live, chill out and take a break.
So what's your conclusion OP ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well goodluck! Keep us updated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey Denzel,
how are you finding the course and in particular the work load?
Is the work taxing?

Quick Reply

Latest