The Student Room Group

Leaving sixthform to self teach?

I'm 17 in year 13 doing A levels at sixth form. I'm getting A's in everything, is there an option for me to stop going to school in order to self teach at home instead then just go in for the exams.

I don't want to do this just for the fun of it, I don't like going to school its depressing and destroying my mental health, I just want to wait to move out of home and go to university. I'm confident I can self teach and get A*'s in all of my subjects, would this be a viable option to self teach instead. Or is it compulsory to stay at sixth form, I just don't want 5 months more at school wasting my time and making me depressed when I can just study at home.

I'm not knowledgeable in the laws or agreements of sixth form and self teaching so I am clueless on this, would like some information on if it's acceptable and what requirements i need to meet, thank you.
If you're in England, you have to be in some sort of education or training until you're at least 18. You'd have to check with your school on this. And if you were able to drop out and self teach, you'd also have to check whether your school would be able to enter you for exams as an external candidate.
Original post by blhei
I'm 17 in year 13 doing A levels at sixth form. I'm getting A's in everything, is there an option for me to stop going to school in order to self teach at home instead then just go in for the exams.

I don't want to do this just for the fun of it, I don't like going to school its depressing and destroying my mental health, I just want to wait to move out of home and go to university. I'm confident I can self teach and get A*'s in all of my subjects, would this be a viable option to self teach instead. Or is it compulsory to stay at sixth form, I just don't want 5 months more at school wasting my time and making me depressed when I can just study at home.

I'm not knowledgeable in the laws or agreements of sixth form and self teaching so I am clueless on this, would like some information on if it's acceptable and what requirements i need to meet, thank you.

Being an external candidate is legal, so it would be fine, you'd just need to discuss this with your sixth form as they might have their own policies on it :smile:
Original post by blhei

It's probably best to talk to your sixth form before making any serious decisions, but you can always try distance learning. There's not long left to go until your exams, but as you are still under 18 you might be able to get funding for any courses from your local council's education department. Regardless of what you choose to do, you should still be able to be entered for your exams at the sixth form you're currently attending, even if you have to apply as a private candidate. That's another thing it would be a good idea to check with them - ask to talk to your Exams Officer.

You can find past papers on the exam boards' websites, which are always helpful in giving you an idea of what to expect in your exams. And if you're looking for any hints and tips on learning from home, you can have a look on our website for stories of our students who sat A Levels after studying by distance learning.

-Gemma
Anyone know how to approach asking sixth form to leave and do self teaching instead because I can't cope there anymore. This means that I'd be doing it for the full 2nd year not just 5 months
You could do it, but is it really worth the hassle in setting it up? Consider that you won't be able to get any help if you need it, you'll have to pay for all your exams, you have to stay motivated, and you won't be able to use them for your UCAS references.

Quick Reply

Latest