The Student Room Group

Issues finding work experience - Vet nursing

Anyone else having issues this year relating to applying to courses, getting experience and completing work?

Yeah i feel the same.
Hey, what problems are you experiencing regarding the whirlpool many of us call education?
If there's anything else you'd like to ask, just quote me by clicking thebutton and I'll try to help you out as soon as possible. :h:
Issues in what way?
Reply 3
At the moment i am struggling to find work experience, so im worrying whether i wont be accepted into the college i applied to. I was wondering if anyone has been in this situation before.
Original post by JaffaNeko
At the moment i am struggling to find work experience, so im worrying whether i wont be accepted into the college i applied to. I was wondering if anyone has been in this situation before.

Are you talking about college as in years 12-13? Or university but using the american colloquialism? Because as far as I'm aware most English college's don't care in the slightest about work experience, in fact never heard of anyone needing work experience to be accepted into college. As for university it massively depends on your course, but is mostly only completely necessary for very competitive healthcare courses like medicine.
Reply 5
I guess i should have explained it a bit better lol. I am applying to do Veterinary Nursing at a Higher Education college and they want 4 weeks work experience.
I guess i should have explained it a bit better lol. I am applying to do Veterinary Nursing at a Higher Education college and they want 4 weeks work experience.

Have they specified that it must be within a vet surgery, or can you cast your net a little wider? I know that vet medicine applicants will often do lambing in the spring, for instance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That makes it easier to point you at some advice.

I've moved this thread to the Veterinary Medicine and sciences forum (it's for all vet and animal related courses). There's a stickied thread here called the work experience bible which would be worth a read: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=441897
Reply 8
How have you tried to book placements so far?

I would start with sending your local practices a letter stating who you are, that you would like to do some work experience and include a few weeks you are available. If you get no reply, follow it up with a phone call a week later.
What may be even better is to drop in to the vets and ask to speak to the Practice Manager who may be able to book you in there and then.
Reply 9
Original post by Origami Bullets
Have they specified that it must be within a vet surgery, or can you cast your net a little wider? I know that vet medicine applicants will often do lambing in the spring, for instance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For vet nursing courses you need specific animal experience, usually atleast 2 weeks in a small animal practise + equine + extra.
Op only thing I can suggest is google is your friend, search the internet for 'vet nurse work experience + your location' I did this and found quite a few. Thing is theres usually a long waiting list. Try volunteering at a local cattery/kennels in the mean time. Social networking helps find people who know someone working with animals so ask about. Try to phone the practise instead of emailing - its more personal. And just keep applying to everywhere you can think of.
Reply 10
Okay, thank you everyone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending