The Student Room Group

Taiwan

Why Taiwanese think they're not Chinese?

They speak CHINESE, write CHINESE, have CHINESE names, follow CHINESE culture, are HAN CHINESE by ethnicity, celebrate CHINESE NEW YEAR etc...

Why does the new party and many Taiwanese say they're not Chinese, they're Taiwanese and Taiwan is not China and has its own culture identity etc

I mean to make a claim you need to back it up with evidence? Also with Taiwan being a "country", barely any country recognises them so why does everyone in the west think Taiwan is a country and Taiwanese is an identity?
Because they aren't Chinese.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lmao it's not Chinese.
There's Mandarin...
and Cantonese...
and writing it is called kanji...
and they're separate countries...
some have Han heritage like Chinese people.
@BrokenLife Amy told me this stuff :colone:
Original post by consultingdude

They speak CHINESE, write CHINESE, have CHINESE names, follow CHINESE culture, are HAN CHINESE by ethnicity, celebrate CHINESE NEW YEAR etc...

Why does the new party and many Taiwanese say they're not Chinese, they're Taiwanese and Taiwan is not China and has its own culture identity etc

I mean to make a claim you need to back it up with evidence? Also with Taiwan being a "country", barely any country recognises them so why does everyone in the west think Taiwan is a country and Taiwanese is an identity?

I guess because they've come to accept that they will not be able to reclaim China, and have accepted their new identity.
Taiwan has everything that is needed to be a country, and also, there are plenty of countries who do recognise Taiwan, for example the Holy See. Meanwhile, other countries have 'unofficial' relations with Taiwan, with de facto embassies around the world. The PRC does not have, nor has ever had, control over the island of Taiwan.
They don't identify as chinese for various reasons. On your count of language, just because someone speaks Russian, doesn't automatically make them Russian. Their culture is not strictly chinese, being a fusion of both Traditional Chinese culture and indigenous customs. Just because genetically you are, say, Korean, doesn't mean you would always identify as Korean, especially if your upbringing was in another country. Culturally, you would more likely identify as being from the place of your upbringing. And just because you celebrate, say, Christmas, doesn't automatically make you christian.
The two countries have cultural and ideological differences great enough that they are effectively separate identities. It is up to them to decide who they identify with and not for us to intervene.
Reply 5
they are Chinese but is is a different country politically ...
Original post by TeeEm
they are Chinese but is is a different country politically ...

But how? No one recognises them
Original post by Tetragon213
Taiwan has everything that is needed to be a country, and also, there are plenty of countries who do recognise Taiwan, for example the Holy See. Meanwhile, other countries have 'unofficial' relations with Taiwan, with de facto embassies around the world. The PRC does not have, nor has ever had, control over the island of Taiwan.
They don't identify as chinese for various reasons. On your count of language, just because someone speaks Russian, doesn't automatically make them Russian. Their culture is not strictly chinese, being a fusion of both Traditional Chinese culture and indigenous customs. Just because genetically you are, say, Korean, doesn't mean you would always identify as Korean, especially if your upbringing was in another country. Culturally, you would more likely identify as being from the place of your upbringing. And just because you celebrate, say, Christmas, doesn't automatically make you christian.
The two countries have cultural and ideological differences great enough that they are effectively separate identities. It is up to them to decide who they identify with and not for us to intervene.

But personally I dont think theres anything different about the two sides, apart from the government. Taiwan is about 95+% Han Chinese and very little aboriginal. I mean how would they call Chinese New Year? Taiwanese New Year? Would they saw Mandarin is a Taiwanese language? It is not like Japan or Korea where it is completely different genetics, language system etc... and tbh Taiwan is probably more Chinese than mainland China in the sense they use traditional Chinese
Reply 8
But how? No one recognises them

China might not and some other countries that kiss China's rear ...
From the real Taiwan, with love (and fraud from one Curly Michael)
[video="youtube;6oHGUr6HEow"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oHGUr6HEow[/video]
Original post by mango peeler
lmao it's not Chinese.
There's Mandarin...
and Cantonese...
and writing it is called kanji...
and they're separate countries...
some have Han heritage like Chinese people.
@BrokenLife Amy told me this stuff :colone:

Hahahahah omg deeaad!!

Hail to Amy! Increased our knowledge! :biggrin:
Taiwan is home of the Austronesian languages. The formosan languages spoken by the indigenous population is part of the Austronesian family of languages. So from a historical perspective and also from the perspective of the indigenous population, I would say Taiwan has enough differences from China to allow it identify more with South East Asia and the Austronesian nations, and thus be considered separate from China.
Reply 12

Simple example would be Ireland and Northern Ireland. Many people from Taiwan do have roots in China(which happens in a lot of countries such as Singapore and Malaysia) but Taiwan is another nation, people have a different flag, national anthem, political and education system from China.
Reply 13
There's no objective logic to what constitutes a "nation", and only political considerations behind what constitutes a sovereign state. In reality, Taiwan's sovereignty is effectively recognised by most of the western world. It may not have full recognition, but that's little more than a fudge to let PR China cover up their impotence here.*
But personally I dont think theres anything different about the two sides, apart from the government. Taiwan is about 95+% Han Chinese and very little aboriginal.

You're getting into good old fashioned race theory here. The division of humanity into racial groups is pseudo-scientific nonsense.
Original post by tablaa
but Taiwan is another nation, people have a different flag, national anthem, political and education system from China.

I think you will find that the Communist rebels in Beijing have a different anthem, political and educational system to the government of the Republic of China in Taipei..
Oh man another butthurt PRC mainlander

Why don't you visit Taipei and ask them yourself? Many Taiwanese despise the Chinese PRC government and see it as something completely alien (and rightly so, many Taiwanese are descendants of refugees from the communists).

I like to think Taiwanese people do not really dislike Mainlander Chinese people though, I think you will be surprised if you talk to them without constantly telling them they do not "exist".

They have the right to be a separate self governing country and the PRC should respect their independence instead of threatening an invasion if they declare it.
Think of a UK civil war and the losing side decamping to the Isle of Wight, but both sides still consider themselves British and the legitimate govt of each other's territory.
But this is like saying why aren't Kurdish people Turkish
The right-wing in Taiwan do indeed assert that they are Chinese and that Taiwan is oart of China. It's the Taiwanese left who assert that Taiwan is a distinct and separate country.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending