The Student Room Group

work experience - GE healthcare

Has anybody had any experience with GE healthcare or GE in general? They are offering work experience placements and I am interested in medicine but not sure if it's relevant?GE is more medical physics deals with machines that diagnose diseases such as Alzheimer's etc.Does this sound relevant enough for medicine work experience? (I have also got 1 week at A&E)
I am in year 11 btw :smile:
It's worth trying not to see work experience purely as a tick box exercise. There are many different aspects to medicine and you should aim to examine healthcare from as many different perspectives as you can.

Is spending some time with GE worth as many pure medical school application points as a week with a GP? No, probably not. Is it worth doing anyway? Yes, I think so. You might well get some insights into how GE sells products to doctors/hospitals (including the ethics of device reps marketing products) and start thinking about the ethics of companies making profit from disease... You could also sell your experience as investigating different career options and then finally settling on medicine.
Original post by MonteCristo
It's worth trying not to see work experience purely as a tick box exercise. There are many different aspects to medicine and you should aim to examine healthcare from as many different perspectives as you can.

Is spending some time with GE worth as many pure medical school application points as a week with a GP? No, probably not. Is it worth doing anyway? Yes, I think so. You might well get some insights into how GE sells products to doctors/hospitals (including the ethics of device reps marketing products) and start thinking about the ethics of companies making profit from disease... You could also sell your experience as investigating different career options and then finally settling on medicine.

thank you :biggrin: I'm going to apply for it and see what happens since it's quite competitive :/

Quick Reply