The Student Room Group

Failed my course and homeless

It seems like I won't be making it to semester 2 of my computer networking course as I have not been able to pass a few of my subjects.I think this means that I have to move out of the college accommodation soon and that my loans and grants will stop.I have a problem with moving out as I have nowhere to go.My teacher, has told me that the college will offer me to retake the course in September of this year again and I am planning to do that.Would you please be able to help me out in this situation as I have no idea what to do and moving back to parents place is not an option for me. I'm 21 now and 22 this October.Your help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you
Reply 1
Family? - No.
Friends?

I would start looking for a room and a job perhaps

If you work at least 2 days a week, around 20hrs that is. You won't be homeless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I am considering getting a job for sure its about the housing. Someone I know told me that councils can provide housing and that I can live off of benefits.
If that is true I don't wish to be living off of benefits forever I want to work a part time job too.

I don't know where to go or begin with this I have searched google but I'm clueless.
Reply 3
Original post by Biscuit754
I am considering getting a job for sure its about the housing. Someone I know told me that councils can provide housing and that I can live off of benefits.
If that is true I don't wish to be living off of benefits forever I want to work a part time job too.

I don't know where to go or begin with this I have searched google but I'm clueless.

Jobs can be usually found in retail. Here, on TSR is a great thread with most jobs, retailers etc. If you want the link, just tell me.

As for the housing go to:

www.spareroom.co.uk
www.gumtree.com flatshare uk
www.uk.easyroommate.com

I guess you can ask council as well but you will need to go there yourself because I've never done it before so I can't tell you what to expect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
It seems like I won't be making it to semester 2 of my computer networking course as I have not been able to pass a few of my subjects.I think this means that I have to move out of the college accommodation soon and that my loans and grants will stop.I have a problem with moving out as I have nowhere to go.My teacher, has told me that the college will offer me to retake the course in September of this year again and I am planning to do that.Would you please be able to help me out in this situation as I have no idea what to do and moving back to parents place is not an option for me. I'm 21 now and 22 this October.Your help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you

Speak to someone in your student office/dept office/registry.

Usually September resits are something you'll do AS WELL AS finishing the year. It's very rare to be withdrawn from a course mid year. And even if that is the case speak to your university to find out the situation with halls.
Reply 5
Original post by Impressive
Jobs can be usually found in retail. Here, on TSR there is a great thread with most jobs, retailers etc. If you want the link, just tell me.

As for the housing go to:

www.spareroom.co.uk
www.gumtree.com flatshare uk
www.uk.easyroommate.com

I guess you can ask council as well but you will need to go there yourself because I've never done it before so I can't tell you what to expect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much for your help :smile:
Yes could you please post the link? that would be so helpful
Thanks you again
Reply 6
Thank you very much for your help :smile:
Yes could you please post the link? that would be so helpful
Thanks you again

Took me a while to find it but here you go.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Speak to someone in your student office/dept office/registry.

Usually September resits are something you'll do AS WELL AS finishing the year. It's very rare to be withdrawn from a course mid year. And even if that is the case speak to your university to find out the situation with halls.

The course I was doing was run by Sussex university at Highbury College in Portsmouth. So all the marking decision was up to the university to make and not the college. The university said my work wasn't good enough and so they said I can't continue onto the 2nd semester.

I have emailed the residency department of my college to find out more information about being able to stay longer if not, what's here locally I can go to.
Reply 8
Original post by Impressive
Took me a while to find it but here you go.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it :biggrin:
Reply 9
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it :biggrin:

You're welcome. If you ever got a question, just ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest