The Student Room Group

Are there any medical professions that do not require chemistry at A-level?

I have always like the idea of going into medicine. However, Chemistry is not my strength so are there any medical professions that do not require Chemistry at A-level for and instead require Biology? I am planning on taking Psychology, Geography, Biology and business studies, would these get me into a University?
Reply 1
Radiography? I think you need biology AND physics though.
Is this the type of career you have in mind?

Edit: also paramedic science, audiology or speech and language therapy?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by leo_147
I have always like the idea of going into medicine. However, Chemistry is not my strength so are there any medical professions that do not require Chemistry at A-level for and instead require Biology? I am planning on taking Psychology, Geography, Biology and business studies, would these get me into a University?

most medical professions require some decent understanding of chemistry sadly. you will definetly not get into medicine unless you do a feeder stream course. but other courses may be possible (rule out dentistry and pharmacy though as they need chem)
Original post by leo_147

Instead of picking your future career on a-level choices alone, why not have a look into healthcare course in general and see what suits you. The majority of allied health profession courses (nursing, physio etc) won't require chem, but picking something just because it doesn't require chemistry is not the way to go.
Original post by leo_147

Yep
There are foundation courses available to people who want to do medicine but do not study chemistry a level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Treen98
Radiography? I think you need biology AND physics though.
Is this the type of career you have in mind?

Edit: also paramedic science, audiology or speech and language therapy?

Thank you for your reply! Well I'm not that good at physics either so it looks like medicine is starting to get ruled out as a possible Career. I have been told by many people that I should work with people because I apparently have a very selfless caring and thoughtful personality, but I don't really want to be a teacher so that's why I thought of medicine and because I have a fond interest in biology. Can you think of any other suiting careers, if not thank you for your time anyway!
Reply 6
Original post by Natalierm2707
most medical professions require some decent understanding of chemistry sadly. you will definetly not get into medicine unless you do a feeder stream course. but other courses may be possible (rule out dentistry and pharmacy though as they need chem)

Thank you for your reply!
Do you know of any professions where you work with people mainly helping them? I have been told that I have a very selfless caring and thoughtful personality and that is why I thought about medicine also because I have a fond interest in biology. I don't really fancy being a teacher though. Thank you for your time
Reply 7
Original post by Bloom77
Yep
There are foundation courses available to people who want to do medicine but do not study chemistry a level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply! Do you know what these courses consist of and whether they mean that you can do some form of medicine for sure? Is there a website I could get more information about them? Thank you for your time!
Reply 8
Original post by ForestCat
Instead of picking your future career on a-level choices alone, why not have a look into healthcare course in general and see what suits you. The majority of allied health profession courses (nursing, physio etc) won't require chem, but picking something just because it doesn't require chemistry is not the way to go.

Pretty sure medicine at Newcastle only needs either A level chemistry OR Biology as long as you have an A in the other at GCSE (or thats what it is currently):
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/a100/#d.en.296200

Not sure about any others sorry.
Original post by leo_147
Thank you for your reply! Well I'm not that good at physics either so it looks like medicine is starting to get ruled out as a possible Career. I have been told by many people that I should work with people because I apparently have a very selfless caring and thoughtful personality, but I don't really want to be a teacher so that's why I thought of medicine and because I have a fond interest in biology. Can you think of any other suiting careers, if not thank you for your time anyway!

No problem! Have you considered physiotherapy or midwifery? Midwifery only requires biology at A level, as does physio
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by leo_147
Thank you for your reply! Do you know what these courses consist of and whether they mean that you can do some form of medicine for sure? Is there a website I could get more information about them? Thank you for your time!

This is a pure medicine degree. So by the end of it you will have become a doctor and have gained a medical degree.
The foundation medicine degree is 6 years and is done at:

Sheffield medical school
Cardiff
Manchester
Keele (I think)
Durham
Dundee

You should research the medical degree with foundation year at these universities if you're interested in applying to do medicine.

This is only for students who do not have chemistry a-level or do not come from a science background, only those students are able to apply to the medicine with foundation year courses at the universities listed above.
This degree does not consist of some form of medicine, it is medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Bloom77
This is a pure medicine degree. So by the end of it you will have become a doctor and have gained a medical degree.
The foundation medicine degree is 6 years and is done at:

Sheffield medical school
Cardiff
Manchester
Keele (I think)
Durham
Dundee

You should research the medical degree with foundation year at these universities if you're interested in applying to do medicine.

This is only for students who do not have chemistry a-level or do not come from a science background, only those students are able to apply to the medicine with foundation year courses at the universities listed above.
This degree does not consist of some form of medicine, it is medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you this is really useful! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Treen98
No problem! Have you considered physiotherapy or midwifery? Midwifery only requires biology at A level, as does physio

Thank you I have considered them yes but I have always wanted to be a doctor but unfortunately I'm not that good at chemistry which you obviously need to be! I looked at a physician associate but you need chemistry at a level for that too :frown: I guess being a doctor is above my capability though! I am a year 11 student currently getting Bs and and a few As in chemistry but As and A* in biology with little revision though so it could be possible, hopefully anyway! I just have to decide on my a levels though
Reply 14
Original post by Rhiannon3838
Pretty sure medicine at Newcastle only needs either A level chemistry OR Biology as long as you have an A in the other at GCSE (or thats what it is currently):
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/a100/#d.en.296200

Not sure about any others sorry.

That website is really useful I have quickly read the a levels and your write by what you said which I find surprising! You have restored my hope thank you! I am thinking of doing geography, psychology, biology and business studies because I am best in these subjects do you know whether these would be a good choice to do? Thank you for your time!
Reply 15
You should definitely be OK for Audiology (but check as each uni has slightly different entrance requirements). Worth doing more research into each career option and seeing if you can visit hospitals to observe to get a better idea of what is involved.
Original post by leo_147

Hey, maybe look into doing a BTEC? I know people who have gone into nursing, healthcare sciences and radiography with a BTEC.
Reply 17
hi
what are types of doctors that do not requireschemistry?
Reply 18
types pf doctors that do not requires chemistry
Reply 19
Original post by Nandjy
types pf doctors that do not requires chemistry

This thread is 7 years old
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422

Latest

Trending

Trending