The Student Room Group

Is anyone watching How racist is Britain on BBC3?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ♥Samantha♥
Yes I know that's what I just said. But what I'm saying is that the technical definitions don't mean anything in regards to this.

The definition of a word is the rule of how it should be used. You are just wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lustawny
Why?

Original post by DiddyDec
The definition of a word is the rule of how it should be used. You are just wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with her on this. Dictionary definitions do nothing to keep up with what racism means to people today and how the term is used colloquially.

Yes it may not be 'technically' correct but the meanings of words vary over time in how they are used and interpreted.
Original post by Ethereal World
I agree with her on this. Dictionary definitions do nothing to keep up with what racism means to people today and how the term is used colloquially.

Yes it may not be 'technically' correct but the meanings of words vary over time in how they are used and interpreted.

Well, I'm a rationalist; which means I disregard anything that goes against fact/logic/empirical evidence, and which isn't quantifiable.
Reply 23
Original post by Longshot700
The guy I quoted.

OP spends the majority of his posts saying that white British are racist, whilst the most racist people in the UK are probably south Asians or from Muslim countries. How many of them would let their children marry outside their race? Who's racist now?

It is the incorrect use of the word.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You yourself regard mental health as not an exact science (which I agree with), because it isn't quantifiable. It's very unpredictable in its nature, and involves observation of behaviour over time and obvservation of the effects of a medication, before any meaningful conclusion can be made. You can't theorise with any certainty about mental health.
Reply 26
How racist is Britain?
Original post by Kyx
How racist is Britain?

Not very.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28

As I thought :smile:
You haven't travelled much have you?

nope
Original post by Kyx
As I thought :smile:

You don't have to watch it to know that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
You don't have to watch it to know that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed
Original post by Blue_Mason
nope

You should take a trip to South Africa, you might learn something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Josb
Don't twist the legal definitions to suit you. I'd prefer to interact with a black atheist over a white Muslim any day. Islam is a bunch of barbaric superstitions that are unfortunately for them followed in majority by brown people, who weakly play the racist card as a result.

Well I'm a white atheist so I'm sure you'd love me :wink:

I'm not twisting legal definitions- I'm just backing her up that racism does mean more general prejudice and fear towards race AND religions in our modern interpretation and use of the word.

We don't really have a colloquial word to describe the racism equivalent of religious prejudice so it has naturally fallen under the same umbrella.
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
We all know Islam isn't actually a race but it really doesn't make a difference. It's still the same thing in principle. Islam is an ethnic religion and people still see Islam as if it is a race even if they know it's a religion and people treat it as so. Also there is a lot of overlap as the majority of Muslim people are middle eastern, North African or Asian so islamophobia and prejudice against Asians and Arabs are very interconnected and occur simultaneously.

Saying Islam is a religion not a race doesn't suddenly make you not racist. Being racist isn't just about what it technically means but about how you see and treat different ethnic/racial/religious groups of people.

That is just nonsense.

A word has to express a concept in a meaningful way otherwise it can't be used. Either the person meets the terms of the definition or they do not. If not think of another word that IS correct.

The concept of racism has been so over used in political debate as an insult to shut down anyone who disagrees with the person using it that it is increasingly becoming debased and starting to lose any meaning whatever.
Original post by lustawny
Well, I'm a rationalist; which means I disregard anything that goes against fact/logic/empirical evidence, and which isn't quantifiable.

Ok :lolwut: you still have to appreciate the dynamic nature of language and how society drives the evolution of what a word means. Hell if you're relying on the dictionary for your definitions of everything you would be a robot.

It is the incorrect use of the word.

Posted from TSR Mobile

See my response to Josb please.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well I'm a white atheist so I'm sure you'd love me :wink:

I'm not twisting legal definitions- I'm just backing her up that racism does mean more general prejudice and fear towards race AND religions in our modern interpretation and use of the word.

We don't really have a colloquial word to describe the racism equivalent of religious prejudice so it has naturally fallen under the same umbrella.

Islamophobia? :biggrin:

Oh wait, that is a meaningless concept too!
hey that's out if order:frown:

and yeah I watched it. it was really good as it makes you realise how society shapes our ideas and thought
Original post by generallee
Islamophobia? :biggrin:

Oh wait, that is a meaningless concept too!

Yeah but I'm talking about all religious prejudice. Islam is just one religion.
Ok :lolwut: you still have to appreciate the dynamic nature of language and how society drives the evolution of what a word means. Hell if you're relying on the dictionary for your definitions of everything you would be a robot.

Right, so I'm a robot just because I'm a rationalist? Nevermind the fact I interact with other TSR users in a warm, friendly manner the majority of the time; my belief in being rational, as opposed to idiotically superstitious, singles me out as inhuman?

Quick Reply

Latest